Installer should ask for install location.

Hi, just started using Paint.net, I needed something like the old MSPaint because I need to do pixel point editing.  Photoshop is difficult to do that in, always antialiasing or otherwise messing things up, while the new MSPaint on windows 7 is just awful, overcomplicated for simple things and they messed up the palette.

Paint.net looks like it will do just what I need (although I realize it's a lot more powerfull than the old MSPaint.)

Anyhow, small complaint.  On the first install I went with the quick install, because it's generally the best option on any program as opposed to custom installs.  But in this case it was annoying because it didn't ask me where I wanted to install to, it just automatically installed to C.  That's a pain, because my C drive is a small SSD and I only install a select few programs and files there.  Almost all other programs will ask you for the install location even on the "quick install" option.

I thought maybe I'd accidently missed it on the quick install, so I uninstalled and tried again, and now I saw that if I want to set the directory I need to choose the other install option, not quick install.

Ok, so only a minor issue, but still offputting.  Be better and more consistent with other installers if the quick install option let you set the install location.

Edited by MrPerson

That's really the point of quick install.  It's a normal thing for installers and you are, by far, in the minority of people who don't want to install on your primary drive.  If you want to install it somewhere else, you shouldn't use quick install.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

david.atwell is 100% right. Quick install = all the default options, "don't bother me about that nerdy stuff." Just choose to do a Custom install.

If you want to change where Paint.NET is installed, just re-run the installer and tell it to install somewhere else. When you do this it'll automatically do an uninstall followed by an install.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That's not my experience with installers, they always ask for the directory even on "quick" or standard installs, but oh well, not important. 

At any rate, I'd just like to say I really like the palette tool, much easier for me to set up and save the colours I need than on Photoshop or the new MSPaint.

You may have more experience with more "complicated" installers, where there are a lot of different features to enable/disable on install, but with Paint.NET there are so few options that a quick install wouldn't make any sense if you had to choose the install directory anyway.  :-)

Thanks for understanding.

And for the record, I totally agree. The palette is one of the most innovative things Rick came up with for Paint.NET, and I wish Adobe would hire him to overhaul their UI.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.