Docking windows

Hi all,

I know floating windows such as "Tools", "History" etc is something that gives you more space,

but sometimes you need those windows to be docked to the sides.

There's a free DLL developed in .NET and is free + it's source to dock windows!

This will be a great addition to this awesome app (for my opinion)

The DLL called "Avalon dock" and you can find it here

So Paint.NET developers, please take this into consideration for the next version.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas, but Rick (the sole developer) already has a design ethos in mind for the interface.  He's really not soliciting collaborations at this time, except plugin authors.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

Really? (shudders) I don't like it at all. Sorry.

I like this idea - with semi-transparent tabs to hide the windows. They wouldn't hog drawing space and would be very intuitive to use.

yhsjjie-166.png

This is pure eye-candy. The floating windows combined with F5, F6, F7 & F8 are easy to use as they are.

Hide the tab with the function keys as my previous post. The function keys would toggle the window or tab depending on which was showing.

- Doctor, I have pain in my back.
The doctor advises the patient to bend down - "Is that better?"
- Still in pain.
- Bend down even more.
- It's so much easier.
- Well, so walk in this manner.

Edited by Artem

Then write your own image editor.

This isn't an idle brush-off, I'm legitimately interested in what you'd come up with. If you find this to be a failing in Paint.NET (a pain in the back, as you've illustrated it), I'd be genuinely happy to see your take on it! And the world can always use more great programs.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I signed up for the sole reason of reacting to this thread.  I simply had to.  Specifically I'd like to express my disappointment at two things;

1) The fact that their are still people buying into the utterly broken multi window interface for programs.  It's not a "design ethos", to me that's an utterly laughable remark.  It's more like a painful beginners' mistake.  Multi window interfaces were broken already in the early X11 era, thank god all developers with a shred of insight have let go of it already, with GIMP developers finally joining not too long ago,  That program for the first time in history now has a chance to even /begin/ being useful!

2) The reaction "Then write your own image editor" is a misplaced and trollish reaction to a user who actually is pointing out a possibility for big usability improvement in the program (I would actually simply call it a bug), and even goes so far as to try to show how it could be improvemed!

As for me, I'm sorry to say I uninstalled the thingie already. I simply can not work with programs like that, and there is an enormous multitude of alternatives, so I do not need to "write my own image editor" :)

Cheers, and happy coding!,

Vlijmen

2) The reaction "Then write your own image editor" is a misplaced and trollish reaction to a user who actually is pointing out a possibility for big usability improvement in the program (I would actually simply call it a bug), and even goes so far as to try to show how it could be improvemed!

Good job reading there.  It is not a trollish or misplaced reaction.  As I noted, I was genuinely interested in seeing what the user came up with.  Paint.NET is not a basic right of all human beings that must be modified to fit your individual needs and desires; it's a program that follows the vision and coding of one person and one person alone.  If you have a different vision, awesome; I'd be happy to see it.  Please do put it together, I'd love to see what you come up with.  If you don't do so, it is arrogant and small-minded to assume that Paint.NET must then bend to suit your will as if you were a capricious god who must be sated with the (as your personal whims dictate) 'perfect' code.

Great Caesar's Ghost, users can be an entitled bunch.