"save as" issue

Hello all,

Each time I use the "save as" for a file (any extension) it's closed by default, replaced by the the saved file. Because I use a .pdn file as a base to creat many .jpg files I would like the file I just "saved as" not to be close automatically. Otherwise I have to open it again via "recent files...". But it's quire a waste of time for me.

Any solution ?

Thanks in advance

Eric.T.

(France)

Continue editing the image after you "save as" and just "save as" again. Your changes aren't being tracked and saved as you go, so it doesn't matter which image you have open.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm sorry but I did'nt take the point. I don't understand how to do in order to keep my .pdn file open after I proceeded a "save as". I just tried again:

I'm working on a file named :save_as.pdn then I input some changes (I don't want to record this changes in the .pdn because it's a working base) and I record it as save_as01.jpg and i want to use again my base named save_as.pdn but it's automatically closed and replaced by save_as01.jpg. If I want to creat a save_as02.jpg from my save_as.pdn I'll have to open this one again.

What you're asking for is a function called "Save Copy As...".  Paint.NET does not currently offer that option.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't think it's on the changelog, but Rick will see your feature request.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Workaround:  in order to be saved, the image was probably flattened.  Simply press Ctrl + Z (undo) until the image is restored & showing the individual layers.

The best thing is to have good folders in use. Have a jpg, png, pdn, and bmp folders. When you work on something flatten it and save it to the appropriate folder. The original pdn in layers will not get changed this way. If it asks to save changes in the pdn before closing, do as eer says and backup to a point that you do want to save any changes in the master pdn. Or just close it without saving over the original pdn.

Thank you for your reply "Visual" and " Ego Eram reputo" but as said previously, the issue is not about the way of saving  .pdn or any type of file but about the fact it's automatically closed when we proceed a "save as" and the answer of David Atwell confirm that we should have a function "save copy as" to avoid that the file you work on get closed to be replaced by the file "saved as" and it is the case with any type of file :)

I still don't understand why this is necessary...

Say you have your original.pdn image and you want to make three different images from it (img1.png, img2.png, and img3.png)

All you have to do is edit original.pdn, save as img1.png, undo and continue editing, then save as img2.png, etc.

As long as you are changing the file name every time you use "save as," you won't overwrite any file you have currently open.

I'm clearly missing something here, as it sounds like something you find important. Would you care to explain?

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

pdnnoob, it's not an issue that's impossible to work around.  Photoshop offers the functionality, and it essentially just cuts down on keystrokes (I think it might even bundle it all up into one single shortcut) while allowing you to retain a stable copy to revert to if needed.  I see why he wants it, but it's not a huge or insurmountable deal.  :-)

....but about the fact it's automatically closed when we proceed a "save as" 

I don't understand this.  Are you saying that the application closes when you perform a Save As...?

If I'm wrong - can you tell us exactly what Is closed?

I don't understand this.  Are you saying that the application closes when you perform a Save As...?

If I'm wrong - can you tell us exactly what Is closed?

Let's say you're working on "Original.pdn". You save a JPEG version of it as "copy.jpg". "Original.pdn" closes and is "replaced" (for lack of a better word) by "copy.jpg". In other words, the file he's working on has changed from a PDN to a JPEG. He would like to save the JPEG copy while still working on the PDN version.

Then my original answers stands.  

Press Ctrl + Z  repeatedly to until the flattening operation is undone.  Once the individual layers are again visible, use Save or Save As... to save it with the original filename and pdn format.

I don't understand the workflow that has someone Saving As... a  JPG then continuing to edit the original file.  I think it would be better to do this:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + F to flatten the image

2. Press Ctrl + A to select all

3. Press Ctrl + C to copy the selection to the clipboard

4. Press Ctrl + Alt + V to paste the selection into a new image.

(Now you can save the new image in any format you like.)

5. Returning to the original image, press Ctrl + Z repeatedly until the flattening operation is undone so the editing can continue.

Let's say you're working on "Original.pdn". You save a JPEG version of it as "copy.jpg". "Original.pdn" closes and is "replaced" (for lack of a better word) by "copy.jpg". In other words, the file he's working on has changed from a PDN to a JPEG. He would like to save the JPEG copy while still working on the PDN version.

In that case, he isn't even looking for "save as copy" because that would result in the same keystrokes as the current setup (ctrl+z to undo the flatten step).

What he is really looking for is an "export" feature, which has been requested multiple times before, the first time over five years ago by our favorite Simon Brown, but I'm not sure if Rick's only response means he was considering it or not.

Personally, I don't think it's really necessary. As LSXD put it,

"I dont really see the need to make a whole function that is just ctrl+z after saving. It's not that hard"

It's not that hard once, or twice, or ten times.  But when you're editing 1000-2000 photos in a clip, it does become handy.  I agree with the feature request.

• Like 1