Help image look good for desktop background?

Kitty Soules

Attached is an image I have found from Pink Floyd: The Wall. The original image was smaller, thus I resized it.

Then comes the dreaded blur.

I know there isn't anything you can do about the blur, but could anyone suggest some effects to make the blur unnoticable?

post-117642-0-58931200-1377384693_thumb.

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

When resizing up, your options are fairly limited. The data simply isn't there to make the image not look awful. Resizing up is like asking Paint.NET to reconstruct an entire book out of one chapter; you're not going to get a very accurate result.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

When resizing up, your options are fairly limited. The data simply isn't there to make the image not look awful. Resizing up is like asking Paint.NET to reconstruct an entire book out of one chapter; you're not going to get a very accurate result.

I know. I have mentioned there isn't much to do about the blur. But I was looking for an effect to somewhat distract you from it, or cover it.

Try to enlrage the original using 2D Image Filter plugin and choose HQ-3x or Eagle-3x. sometimes I get better results

2D Image Filter:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/24270-hawkynts-2d-imagefilter-library/

Thank you for your help. I have tried both. So to say, it ended up slightly better than what I had. Slightly.

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

A thick border would mean that you don't have to enlarge the original so much.

How about fading out the image to a nice dark (black) border?  This mini-tutorial might help: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/4749-fade-edges-andor-borders-of-photos/?p=56672

Ah, my fault. I thought you were looking to minimize, not distract. Apologies! :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.