How do you edit an oval picture?

whirlwin

I have an oval portrait. How do I make the area outside the oval transparent so only the oval picture shows up and it's not "framed" by the white area outside the oval? Hope that makes sense.

First of all, erase the area around the oval with the eraser or the delete key, so that the 'checkerboard' transparency pattern is visible underneath.  Then save it as a filetype that supports transparency, such as .PNG or .GIF.  Et voila!  Oval-shaped picture.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

HOT TIP:  Cast an elliptical selection with the left mouse + right mouse to position it while the shape is still being actively dragged out (i.e. hold both mouse keys down).  This works with the other selection shapes as well.

Once you get used to using this mouse combination you'll wonder how you ever did without it ;)

• Upvote 1

Release the right mouse button (keep the left down) to continue adjusting the shape.  Reapply the right button to move it again.  

This way you can cast the shape and position it in one continuous operation.

I know this is off topic, but there is another way, I think it is a bug in the windows system but you can take advantage of it:

While you are in the canvas area, press and hold both left and right mouse, then move to any PDN utility window or a task bar and release them there.

Now you can adjust the shape of the selection just by moving the mouse, and by left mouse to position it .

Doing this while pressing the Shift key will help adjust and position an exact shape, and the arrow keys for fine tuning.

Edited by yellowman

Sticky mouse keys!  That's interesting.  How on earth did you discover that?

Accidently, when I started using PDN, and reported it few years ago, and someone say it is windows behave, I think was pyrochild. since that day I am using either your method or this :)

EDIT: I have to pull my words back, I am sorry wasn't actually pyrochild, I can't remeber exactly who was, but I found my questions thread:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20345-the-selection-gets-stuck-to-the-mouse-pointer/

Edited by yellowman

You should be able to use the "magic wand" :MagicWandTool:  tool and click on the white space outside of your oval, then press the delete key. If your portrait has light patches near the edges, the computer may delete part of your portrait. You could try lowering the tolerance level, but if that doesn't help, I would use the line tool around the portrait. I almost never touch the elipse tool, because as you've probably experienced it can be quite a pain  :sad: