How to check if a *.PSD-Picture is a 8 or a 16 bit one?

Kai W

Dear all,

please have a look at the title of this topic. I just installed paint.net and the Photoshop PSD file plugin a few minutes ago in order to cut *.TIFF-files into pieces to be saved as *.PSD-files. That worked quite well, but I am not able to see the color depth of the new PSD-file I've saved.

Would somebody be so kind to tell me where to look at?

Thanks in advance & greetings from Hamburg, Germany (hope this explains my english skills ;) ),

Kai

Edited by Kai W

Right click the image. Look at details tab on the properties of it. The details will show size and 8, 16, or 32 bits.

Edited by Visual

Hi Visual,

thank you for your answer. But I'm still in trouble: The details tab only shows the name, type, path, size, creation date, change date, attribute, owner and computer.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

Kai

Hi welshblue,

that works! Unfortunately it leads to another question: The original *.TIFF-Data got 48 bits colour depth and the pieces saved as *.PSD (or *.PNG) got 24 bits. Why that?

And I thought it would be an easy task to cut pictures into pieces. Surprise! It isn't! ;)

Thanks in advance & best regards,

Kai

Edited by Kai W

Paint.NET automatically truncates all higher-bit color info down to 24 bit + alpha (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue, 8 alpha), but I do want to point out that most consumer-grade computer monitors can only display images in 32-bit (24+alpha).  So, unless you're doing some sort of high-end image analysis, it's unlikely that you'd ever even be able to see that there is a difference.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hi welshblue,

A case of the blind leading the blind a little bit ...

Unquote

*lol* No problem. :smile:

Hi David,

thank you for your explanation. So I have to search for another software for my task. Even if it's non-commercial and nobody (including myself) might ever notice the difference, the information of the original *.TIFF-Data shall be kept in order to make further editing as good as possible.

Thanks a lot!

Kai W-

Understood.  Though I think you'll find more luck in preserving resolution and pixel count than color depth. :-)  GIMP doesn't appear to support 48-bit color depth, but Cinepaint does.  You might give that a shot.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Hi David,

Cinepaint might be the tool I'm searching for. Thanks for this hint.

Cheers,

Kai

P.S.: Paint.net is a very useful software for my everyday needs concerning image editing. Except this special task mentioned above. But anyway I'm happy that I've discovered this tool and the helpful community supporting it. :-)

Dear all,

please have a look at the title of this topic. I just installed paint.net and the Photoshop PSD file plugin a few minutes ago in order to cut *.TIFF-files into pieces to be saved as *.PSD-files. That worked quite well, but I am not able to see the color depth of the new PSD-file I've saved.

Would somebody be so kind to tell me where to look at?

Thanks in advance & greetings from Hamburg, Germany (hope this explains my english skills ;) ),

Kai

Surprsed me when you didn't get what you needed. I save many renderings in tiff and get from 32 to 128 bit in the details tab depending on my settings. Most hdz and hdr are 24 bit and above. If the psd is still layered nothing should appear. You get nothing until you flatten it.

The advice given is all i can ad without knowing more. I think they gave you what you needed. Good luck.

Hi Visual,

there is only one layer (background) so the option that will join layers isn't active. Thank you for your halp anyway.

Cheers,

Kai

Surprsed me when you didn't get what you needed. I save many renderings in tiff and get from 32 to 128 bit in the details tab depending on my settings. Most hdz and hdr are 24 bit and above. If the psd is still layered nothing should appear. You get nothing until you flatten it.

The advice given is all i can ad without knowing more. I think they gave you what you needed. Good luck.

I'm not sure how you're seeing 128-bit color depth...Paint.NET is not set up to even read that much data.  It automatically truncates anything above 24+8.