Changing the Cursor look in Paint.net

Hi Forum,

i would like to change the Cursor of the brush itself. Right now its a simple cross, i need to change it

into an red circle. As far Paint net is open source, i would like to know if i am able to change the cursor by

myself.

Thanks in advance

smashbob

Paint.net is NOT open source. And no, you can't change the cursor. see welshblue's post below

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Not open source == true.

Regarding cursors, it may be worth reading RFX's thread (post #8) using the icon/cursor plugin.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25636-my-stuff/

Haven't done this myself yet so cannot advise more.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Red, that only works for windows cursors. Changing how the cursor looks for various tools in Paint.net is a different matter.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

It is possible, but not really supported for this purpose.

That said, to change the cursors you actually need to go through the localization system that allows Paint.NET to show up in other languages. Sarkut's small tutorial (welshblue linked to it) should get you started.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

As Rick said...,

...possible, but not really supported for this purpose.

It's also possible to customize the tool icons using much the same method.  If you really want to have a go >> http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25384-mastering-paintnet-ebook/  (Chapter 15).

Hi, thanks already for your help. Sarkuts Plugin was the most helpfull until now as far as i am not able to buy the 

posted ebook now.

In Sarktus postet CursorUpgrade.zip, there are two .cur files, wich should be extracted into the "C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Resources\en-US" folder.

If i look into this Folder, i am having a bunch of png files, which represent the different icons. As far as i want to change the cursors, i am looking for the .cur files, for the brush in my case, but cant seem to find em. Any Clue where i am able to find the cursors?

Second questions is if i would be able to modify the Cursor just by modifying Sarkuts File. For Example: Changing the Name of both Files

"Cursors.PanToolCursor.cur"

"Cursors.PanToolCursorMouseDown.cur"

into

"Cursors.PaintBrushToolCursor.cur"

"Cursors.PaintBrushToolCursorMouseDown.cur"

And open the File itself in paint.net and change the Cursors i want them to

look like.

Thanks again in advance.

Edit: I just tried that and paint wont open itself, got a crash log and will post it here

if needed.

edit2: I now succeded in changing the curser, the problem is that i need a red dot,

all i am able to do is setting a curser in black and white. any ideas?

smashbob

Edited by smashbob