Windows Format BMP

Search bar is returning zero results, and google did me no better...

I am having trouble with images saved in 8-bit bmp format from paint.net not rendering properly with software that requires a 'windows format bmp' file.

Can anyone help me understand how to save 'windows format bmp' with paint.net?

Thank you.

How wide is your palette? I.e. does the dithering control become enabled when you select 8-bit color depth?

the dithering control is only enabled when your image has a palette which is wider than it's possible to hold in the 8-bit format.  In other words you have more than 256 colors in your image and the 8-bit can only handle a palette of 256  colors.  To 'fake' the extra colors the image is dithered.

Scratch that - it shouldn't matter.

I suspect that your issue is with the format using or not using RLE (run length encoding) to compress the file.  This compression is available with indexed BMPs where each byte is an index into a table of up to 256 colors (i.e. 8-bit).

I'm betting your software demands one form (using RLE or not using it) and won't correctly interpret the other format.  In Paint.NET there is no option to turn RLE on or off when saving as a BMP.  The Low Color Filetype plugin also does not seem to have the option, but it might be worth trying it to see if images saved with it will play nicely with your Garmin software.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant!  Awarding myself one star :star::lol:

• Upvote 1