welshblue

Glossy Metallic Text

Moderators Note: I've rehosted WelshBlue's original images in order to revive this tutorial ~ EER (21 Nov 2015 and again 08 July 2017)

What we're making in this tutorial...

Glossy1.png

Further examples (click for a larger image)

Glossy2.jpg

Inspired by yellowman's Bevelled Text tutorial on youtube and a conversation with EER where I admitted I'm not very adventurous with plugins and stick to the bare few.

Plug-Ins Needed:

Alpha Mask

(Yep you read right ... me using Alpha Mask )

Engrave/ Emboss

Object Align

Object Edge

Outline Object

I used the Cafe Nero Font http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=cafe+nero

Glossy3.png

Glossy4.png

Glossy5.png

Glossy6.png

Glossy7.png

Glossy8.png

Glossy9.png

Glossy10.png

in the above image Layer 4 denotes a background I put in to show the text a bit more clearly. Add a New layer, create your background of choice and move it below the text layers. Apologies for any confusion

Glossy11.png

Glossy12.png

Glossy1.png

Glossy14.jpg

PDF available on request.  Send your email address via Private Message

GlossyMetallicText.pdf

• Upvote 6

Thanks Helen.  I'm a lot of things, not all of them good but not so sure 'genius' is one of them ... but a compliment is always nice ;)

Updated to include the font used.

Thanks mate.  Nice result

Daft thing is I've just had to do it myself because the steps didn't look right.  Luckily it was the same outcome.  I think I've been doing too much PDN and the head is going a bit

Edited by welshblue

It is good for shapes Sasha, nice result, good outcome by Drew and Vodka Princess too. A very easy to follow tutorial Welshblue, well written and worth a pin too. Thank you so much for taking time to do this. :)  Heres my take on a  shape using this tutorial and lots of rotate / zoom (just zoom)

shape_zpsd4e7c426.png

Really nice results everyone ... I've never tried it on shapes - it's cool when you inspire the tutorial writer ;)

@ VP ... I've only ever used chunky(ish) or straight fonts when practising it.  When I've got time I'll try some intricate fonts and see if there's a remedy for the 'jagged' look.

It could be the Negation blend mode.  

Jaggies could be minimised by increasing the overall size of the canvas & then using a gaussian blur, or Feather & AA, maybe?

Really nice outcomes & a great looking tute :D

Gaussian blurring spoils the final image IMO.  You can get around this to a certain degree by using Sharpen+ but it's never the same.

Everything I publish is made on the same sized canvas (unless it's for printing) and I never get the jaggies.  (I used to when I couldn't have a drink or toke ...)

I think the fault here lies with Negation/and or Curves on the Princess text.  Maybe experiment with the Curve settings a bit ... oh hang on that's my job as the tutorial writer ;)

Geat tute Welshy - although I got a bit mixed up bewtween the stage just before adding curves.  It's been while since I used PDN :(

Herewith my attempt;

0aH3o9N.png

• Upvote 3

Very nice result Pixey ... accidents can be good things - look @ me  :P

I can't see a Jaguar badge and not think of Jeremy Clarkson and Jaaaaag.

That's a great sleek and shiney take on the tute, awesome job

a little frustrated here. maybe i missed something. I was fine up until the alpha mask and blend mode. what am i missing. where did layer 4 come from and where did the alpha mask layer go? What am i doing wrong?

nevermind i figure it out. the merge has to come before the blending mode and other changes..... im special lol

Edited by phenomenaldeath

Well, I don't get it. Where did layer 4 come from, what IS layer  4, and where did the black text alpha layer go????????

Then, in the next step, the gloss layer and background are gone, and there are two text layers! (ok, you merge the two, but that leaves you with one layer)

Sorry, but I'm new to Paint.net, you can't skip steps on me yet. I got up to and through doing the Alpha Layer step.

Edited by MahBoff

Sorry xod ... too many tutorial irons in the fire and not responding quick enough.

Magic sums up your take on it.  I like how you've got it looking plasticcy and metally in one.  (if you know wot I mean )

And thanks.  Is it really a week ago already ?