Preferences? How to change default save-as file to .jpg

We're a system builder in Ontario, Canada and we've been deploying Paint.NET to all our new systems for years, so there's thousands of computers out there with Paint.NET on their desktop.

However for business use I have a need to efficiently send .jpg files to various people and I often forget to change the file type so I have to reload the file, re-save the file, etc. and strangely, I can't seem to find the preferences menu to change this option. Can anyone direct me where the default save-as file type can be changed to .jpg?

There isn't an option to change the default filetype, and Rick has been very firm on his decision to leave it that way. See this thread for a detailed explanation.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There isn't an option to change the default filetype, and Rick has been very firm on his decision to leave it that way. See this thread for a detailed explanation.

This is a very good reason. I always try to tell users to save an original in a pdn in a separate folder. When you flatten the image, you should save it in another location. My only thing would be a default to a 'save as' instead as save. Work flow requires saving in different formats. It will help in the long run.

I can appreciate the philosophical aspect of the decision but its functionally disruptive to my efficiency since I have a need to save directly to .jpg rather than another format.

No matter, I'll find an alternative method / app that's more functional for these specific purposes and continue to use Paint.NET for the lossless edits. Thanks for the response, at least now I feel like I'm not missing something obvious!

Once you use File > Save As... to name the file and set the format to JPG, Paint.NET will reuse the file format when using subsequent File > Save. You might be prompted to flatten if the image has layers.

.... and I often forget to change the file type so I have to reload the file, re-save the file, etc....

Forgetting to change the file extension is exactly why Paint.NET always defaults to a lossless save.

Turn the situation around and consider the aggro when you've worked for hours on an image then forgotten to Save As.... (a PDN) and lost all your layer separation by saving as a 'default' jpg. Irritating yes? A lot more time and effort is lost than the relatively minor inconvenience of having to resave the image.