Acquire>From Scanner or Camera...

I have recently purchased a new desktop PC with Windows 8.  I have both this and my previous desktop side by side and in operation.  My HP printer is connected wirelessly to both.  My new desktop sees the printer in Paint.NET and allows me to print to it, yet 'From Scanner or Camera...' is greyed out.  My previous desktop immediately takes me to a 'Select Device' window.  I should appreciate users' assistance. 

What printer/scanner/camera are you trying to use and have you looked to installing the scanner drivers

If I use VueScan it works with the scanner immediately after a fresh Windows install, BUT nothing else can 'see' the scanner. Once I have installed the scanner drivers other software can now 'see' the scanner. VueScan works as it doesn't need any other software apart from a scanner and VueScan

Reading your question again, are you asking why the 'aquire from scanner', if you are its greyed out as it cannot 'see' a scanner

Silly question, but do you have a scanner connected, or is it an HP 'all-in-one' printer/scanner. If it is, try connecting it to the desktop using a USB cable instead of via wireless

Same answer again, if you are using the included HP software and everything is working fine then my guess is 3rd party needs other drivers installing first. But I have read on other forums that wireless can cause 'issues' with some software. So connecting directly via a USB cable usually fixes it. Unless your printer is in another room, which may then cause some headaches

DrewDale and steptoe

I thank you for your replies.  I am using a HP C310 Photosmart Premium all-in-one printer.  Would the printer need separate drivers for the scanning and printing elements?  As I wrote originally, I have no problem printing to the device but 'From Scanner or Camera...' is greyed out, preventing me from scanning.  The printer is about six to eight feet from the desktop.  I could purchase a usb cable that long, if necessary, but I should prefer to find another solution, if possible.  I have found the following website: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4231206&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=4023238&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4132#113343  This lists 'HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers' for Windows 8.  However, it is a 215.3MB download and I do not know whether I would have the choice to install the driver(s) alone following the download.  Furthermore, should the driver(s) be installed simply to C:\Drivers, or is there a more specific location into which the file(s) should be installed?

Edited by Bob Hawkins

I use a HP photosmart C5280 printer / scanner / copy - I also use windows 8 and downloaded a similar pack to what you describe, I was given the option during the install stage to go for a full or custom install. I chose custom (mostly because I don't use all the bloat features that comes with the software)  and then let the wizard do it's thing, the only interaction I had to do was power up my printer so it could locate my device and install the drivers needed, I didn't pick any specific location, I just let it do it's thing. :)

Edited by DrewDale

BREtKQW.png

Having a quick read, found these :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/C310-hp-photosmart-premium-scan-problem/td-p/1473051

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02450835〈=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4023238

Also, another suggestion I stumbled across suggested you change your settings to set it to 'scanner' as it might be set to printer/scanner so the device driver is accessing the printer part only. Which would then mean the scanner does not exists as far as any software is concerned

It appears, like most scan software included with scanners, that HP assume you will be doing everything through their software and simply don't take into account people might actually not want to use their software or need to scan directly into other software without using the scanner interface. All the instruction I can find point to the HP scanner software manual

Which, though it doesn't help your problems, is why I install nothing but the default scanner drivers so that software can 'see' the scanner and do not install the bloated included software

I've used all-in-ones in the past and gave up on them, but they do have the advantages of its all there and some of the more expensive models are worth the extra expense ..... It was the cost of the ink that put me off, and constantly finding the cartridges were blocked yet again as I hadn't used the printer in a few days. That was a HP all-in-one

DrewDale and steptoe
I thank you for your further replies.  I downloaded HP Print and Scan Doctor, which reported 'The full software for your product is not installed on this computer.  In order to use all the features of your product, you must install the full software solution.'  Downloading ps5510_basicx64_1315.exe from a HP Photosmart Basic Drivers site at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-108878-3 turned out to be just the printer driver, it seems.  I have a CD-ROM supplied with my machine, but that is 426MB.  I conclude I have little option but to do as DrewDale suggests and download the 215.3MB package that you used.  I am reluctant because my previous experience has been that I am continually inundated with HP logs, on-screen nags, and a DocProc issue that led me to use the Acquire facility in Paint.NET facility in the first place.  I shall report back.

Latest news:

I downloaded software from HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers and installed it. There was no custom install option. My network was recognised and my printer in Printer Setup but setup would not complete; I had to retry or try later. I connected my laptop to the printer and Printer Setup completed. Now I could scan from HP Solution Center and Paint.Net. When I disconnected the laptop, however, I was back to square one - I was informed the printer was disconnected.

I don't have a network linking my printer ( I only have one PC / printer set up) but as a shot in the dark, I would guess if you take one out of the equation (the lap top) then yes you will be disconnected. All I can offer up as a work around would be to install the HP software on both PC and lap top. Unless anyone else can offer up a solution? 

BREtKQW.png