Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Chrome Effect Chain Links

57 minutes ago, MJW said:

The shading on the example is very impressive. It looks like real plastic.

Have to agree with MJW. That's the most realistic 'plastic' I've seen yet!  Great job!  :D

• Like 2

@dipstick @lynxster4 @Seerose @MJW @Ego Eram Reputo ... thanks for the reps guys.

A quick video to show how I achieved it.  This is a basic rendering, adding a bit more 'gloss' with darker and lighter blurs adds to the finished look.  It can be trial and error

After using Conditional Hue/ Saturation on the red link

links-ex.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That video is very interesting. It's amazing how such a non-intuitive approach to creating the highlight produces such a realistic result.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dipstick said:

I used it to make a new e-map

Wow.  Impressive beyond words.  Love that text

8 hours ago, MJW said:

It's amazing how such a non-intuitive approach

It was ASH who taught me to think outside the box and try to visualise how things could be manipulated and used. 

Trial and error plays a huge part in a lot of my stuff.  I've a 3Gb folder of experiments ... mostly failed ... but some which work very OK. 

Your plugins are immensely useful in all of them now, and I often wonder what results ASH and YellowMan would have shown with them

• Like 1

<3 @welshblue!

Thank you for the most fantastic video.
 The rings are good and beautiful. But connecting them is very difficult. :cake: :coffee:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seerose said:

But connecting them is very difficult.

Thanks @Seerose.  Tomorrow I'll post images to show the way MJW suggested.  It's a much quicker, more of a clean join/ solution

With all the chit-chat going on, I'd thought I'd try your tut welshy.  The plastic looks fantastic (heehee)!  😂

This takes a little more patience to get it just right.  I think to achieve the proper shadowing you need to apply drop shadow before you start linking the links.

The one pastel example of yours gets the shadowing perfect!  Here's my attempt.  I didn't feel like going back and fixing it (the shadows).

This deserves a rewrite!  😸 <3

chainlinks.png

• Like 3

Thanks Pixey, welshblue, Seerose, lynxter4 and LionsDragon for the reps.

I used that e-map to make a heart brush.

file.php?id=40796

BrushFactory can't read .gbr though. So here is the PNG with transparency if you want to use it in BrushFactory. be sure to un-tick colorize brush.

t9XcXqL.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Okay...I could not let this go.  😫   Had to do it right for the shadowing.  This looks much better.

chainlinks_01.png

Thanks welshy!  <3

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

I think to achieve the proper shadowing you need to apply drop shadow before you start linking the links.

Like all things, it's horses for courses but personally I prefer after.  It seems daunting, but it's  case of playing until you're happy.

Great results on both sets though.  I've always found shadowing subjective - maybe 'cos I like living in them 😀

@dipstick ... very effective.  Great 3D look to it.

@Seerose ... updated How To Link A Chain on Pg. 1 

A quick video how how apply shadowing to individual links ... using @MJW's method of cutting and pasting to join them 

i like putting Drop Shadow on duplicated layers as it's easier to change Blend Modes/ Opacity if needed

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 3

Well .... I couldn't believe that when I looked at this tutorial today, I couldn't find something from moi 😨  When I got to sticking the links together, I remembered ......... I couldn't for the life of me do the erasing bit to link them up when I tried when-back-when.  Think that's when I realized that I was possibly a bit dyslexic :D  Luckily I had better luck today.  Super Tutorial @welshblue :star:

WB-s-Chains.png

• Like 3

@Pixey ... One word.  Stunning.  Absolutely love the whole glow of the piece 

15 hours ago, Pixey said:

Think that's when I realized that I was possibly a bit dyslexic

I used to be, now I'm KO ... 

Seriously though, I'm the same with some things PDN and then the penny drops.

<3 @welshblue!

I can only say thank you a thousand times. :cake: :coffee: In addition, your youtube videos are absolute highlight. 

24-Juni2019shs.png

24-Juni2019.png

• Like 1