How to save images as actual size?

I've only recently started using this program, but I can't seem to figure out how to save images as their actual size (i.e., pixels/ppi).

Example: I have a 900x600 blank canvas that I want to set at a resolution of 300ppi. Using the Resize tool, I increase the resolution from 96ppi to 300ppi. The values for Print Size (width and height) automatically decrease correspondingly, to 3"x2". Looks good. I click Okay. The blank image in the PDN window still looks to be the same size as before, but the rulers on the top and left of the window are"stretched out," suggesting that the image is now smaller. Once again, looks good. I doodle around a bit and save the image. Here's the problem: regardless of which format I use (bmp, png, jpg), the saved image is not 3"x2"; it's much larger. In fact, it's the same size as the original 96ppi blank image. I also have this problem when I start with an imported image rather than a blank canvas.

What's the secret? I have a feeling it's something very simple, but I can't find an answer anywhere in the help file or this forum. I know that with Photoshop I always disable resampling when I increase resolution, but I don't see an option for that in PDN. Thanks for the help!

DPI, or pixels per inch as you state it, is only meaningful when working in a print context. The print size is a function of the pixel size (or pixel dimensions) and DPI. It has nothing to do with how the image is displayed on-screen, outside of possibly desktop publishing software which is modeling a printed page.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

900x600/300ppi(pixels per inch) = 3in x 2in

900x600/96ppi = 9.375in x 6.25

Windows, by default, is going to view all images at 96dpi/ppi. So your 300ppi image and your 96ppi image are both going to look the same. The reason is, either way you only have 900x600 pixels. If you want to be able to see a difference you need to make up the actual pixel difference between 96 and 300 pixels per inch. Basically you would need to add 204 pixels for each inch you want in output...printed image/image file. another thing you can do is multiply your desired output in inches (x and y) by 300.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

The title of this thread is essentially a misnomer. You don't want to save an image at "actual size." WHat you want to do is create an image at a particular size.

Just go File->New, type in the DPI (or dp/cm) that you want, then type in the dimensions you want. The pixel size will be calculated automatically.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I understand the difference between dpi and ppi, and that monitor resolution affects an image's on-screen size. What I can't figure out is how to get PDN to print a high-resolution image at the correct specs (i.e., pixels/ppi). The Print function only gives me the Windows Photo Printing Wizard, which obviously isn't going to give me the correct specs. (I was hoping to get around that problem by saving in a non-PDN format, hence this post, but I gather that won't work.)

Anyway, Rick Brewster's post seems to imply that it's not possible to get PDN to print an image to exact pixels/ppi specs. True?

Thanks for the replies.

The disconnect is in the Print function, which is mostly intended for printing photos at specific sizes while ignoring DPI.

Yes, that's ultimately the problem. I need the dimensions of my printed output to be precise down to the millimeter at ~300dpi, and it seems like the current Print function can't do that. Am I correct, or is there a workaround?

yeah but if you are printing 3in x 2in prints and your image file is 900x600px your print will be 300dpi, right?

3"x2" was just an example; the actual dimensions will be much more awkward values like 4.375". Is there a way to enter custom sizes in the Print Wizard?

You don't want to save an image at "actual size." WHat you want to do is create an image at a particular size.

yup, I agree with Rick..

No, what I really want to do is print an image at a particular size and dpi. The creation part was actually pretty easy, thanks to this program.

You don't want to save an image at "actual size." WHat you want to do is create an image at a particular size.

yup, I agree with Rick..

No, what I really want to do is print an image at a particular size and dpi. The creation part was actually pretty easy, thanks to this program.

Both are really the same. No matter what, as long as your total pixel count(900x600 or 1234x478) is 300 times your desired print image's measurements in inches then your dpi is 300. Its really simple math.

px/in=dpi

px/dpi=in

I could tell a file that has a resolution of 1280x800 that its dpi is 11 and it would still print at 300dpi if the printer wizard was set to print 4.26in by 2.66in....which is 1280x800 divided by 300dpi.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I think the common workaround is to save as PNG, then print with regular Paint. (no, I'm not kidding)

Paint.NET was never really designed to be awesome at printing. It isn't something we've invested any engineering time into.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Both are really the same. No matter what, as long as your total pixel count(900x600 or 1234x478) is 300 times your desired print image's measurements in inches then your dpi is 300. Its really simple math.

px/in=dpi

px/dpi=in

Exactly. The Photo Wizard's printing layouts change the dimensions and, consequently, the resolution.

if the printer wizard was set to print 4.26in by 2.66in....which is 1280x800 divided by 300dpi.

As I said previously, if you (or anyone else) can tell me of a method for using custom dimensions in the Photo Wizard, I would definitely appreciate it, as it seems like a viable workaround.

I think the common workaround is to save as PNG, then print with regular Paint. (no, I'm not kidding)

Hey, as long as it works. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

I import the images into Open Office writer/ Microsoft Word. It lets you scale the images up or down as much as you want. Also you can place them where ever you like around the page and thus have as many as you need.

Also, I'm not sure about Microsoft Word, but Open Office writer has rulers along the sides that can measure distances along the page in various measurement (like inches, CMs etc) which lets you see the exact dimensions of the image.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I used to be able to save without the photo printing wizard coming up until yesterday. Now the wizard comes up every time I try to print. I just updated to 3.5.2 and it still comes up. I did a great looking printed mock up of my CD booklet printed from the paint.net program and now it looks like bloody potato when I print from paint program. I need to have my pages sized to 4.75 inches square. The wizard does not offer custom sizes. What's the use of paint.net if I can't print from it without the wizard. The whole purpose is to print the image. Thanks Gary