Peephole Drawing (or some path tools in the future)

I don't know if there is still a quota. You may have reached your limit.

Version 0.9 improves panning of paths and peephole and adds more node and curve actions.

There is also a quite basic SVGTiny filetype plugin because part of the svg functionality is needed for the path plugins but it is easier to test in a filetype. The svg is then stored in the metadata of the layer.

midoras signature.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I created this using this plugin in development and welshblue's Glossy metallic text tutorial. Nice plugin, I do look forward to a final version :)

Nice to see your results. 'Final' will take a while. There are so many things to do. But after getting the SVG loader in an acceptable stage, let us continue with this part of the path tools. Still fighting with text and other effects on paths...

midoras signature.gif

• 7 months later...

Paint.net's line/curve tool is easier for me than a path tool most of the time, and I love how it lets you move the actual paint, unlike most path tools where you have to draw the path first, then stroke the path with paint afterwards. Since the thickness of the path is so thin, but paint thicknesses vary, it's usually a pain when trying to outline an image with precision.

However, your wonderful path tool isn't like most the others, it's doesn't require you to first make the path, then stroke it. It's visuals on the canvas are very similar to the line/curve tool! So, thank you for such a great plugin! <3

I will admit the workspace is a bit tight to work in, so an adjustable window size would be nice, but aside from that, your path tool is one of the better ones I've used. I still prefer the simplicity of the line/curve tool, but your path tool has options that the basic line/curve tool doesn't, options which are very cool and very handy.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I will admit the workspace is a bit tight to work in, so an adjustable window size would be nice,

That's why the thread is called peephole drawing ;-)

Resizing is part of the OptionBasedLibrary but it's flickering too much in the moment and the layout methods to adapt the dialog to a new size are bad. In the moment the only thing you can do is to Maximze the effect dialog window.

Paint.net's line/curve tool is easier for me than a path tool most of the time

As always, to make things easier to use you have to reduce the possible options your tool provides to the user. Path tools will do a better job in this area in the future. But as long as there is no Tool interface in Paint.NET which allows you to draw control points and lines on top of image view your plugin will be limited in this area.

midoras signature.gif

• 2 weeks later...

No flash, thanks ;.) It's banned on my computers. Maybe in the future there is the need for a bunch of icons in the path tools.

Here a preview of the next step on the roadmap.

attachicon.gifPathTools07.jpg

It's a little bit tricky to calculate the aproximated path of spirals using bézier curves...

Spirals sound cool, very useful for my purposes.

BTW I have an idea for a tool you could add, a smooth drawing pen, one that smooths out lines drawn by freehand.

http://scaledinnovation.com/analytics/splines/aboutSplines.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7054272/how-to-draw-smooth-curve-through-n-points-using-javascript-html5-canvas

These pages address the solution of how to do it.

• 1 month later...

Question, is there a way to zoom in and out?

Sorry, not in your version. The UI of the next one has a canvas with all the key and mouse functions you know from Paint.NET. And the basic layout of the dialog is like the current 'PrintIt' tool effect. Which makes it easier to handle the maximize case.

midoras signature.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not working at this time in V4.0

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\PathTools.dll
      Effect Name: OptionBasedEffects.PathStrokeFill
      Full error message: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.PdnResources' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=4.0.5288.36565, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at OptionBasedEffects.PathStrokeFill.OnCustomizeUI()
   at OptionBased.Effects.OptionBasedEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 910

iNUIdNo.jpg

• 11 months later...

OK this thread is two years old now and somehow there was never time to finish the tool because the basic UI didn't work as expected.

But is someone interested in the successor?

path.effect.dialog.createpath.jpg

The biggest difference is the UI (simular to SpiritLevel) and the ability to create a compound path which is necessary to create holes in a path object (see the image above which is one single compound path with one stroke and filling).

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I still really like this plugin, so I would be interested in this plugin and a successor. :)

Fine that someone is interested.

Always jumping between all the plugins in the queue. The issue is that I'm able to use plugins which are in some way incomplete and buggy. And if no one shows interest it takes a lot of time to create a final version which I would say is usable for a normal user. The state of the new version of this plugin is not too bad. Just added undo/redo and clipboard operations to exchange sub-paths and shapes with InkScape.

If you can live with quirks, I could publish a new alpha next week (but in a new thread: 'Path' render plugin).

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

I think you have a great plugin here. I would love to see it still worked on, or updated, or have an official release at some point. (this plugin or a successor)

(Off topic note, I might not be around later today and for this coming week. But if you release the plugin I will look forward to it for when I do get the chance to check it out.)

I'll be interested too if I can have a 3.5.11-compatible version.

As long as possible my plugins will support 3.5.11.

Off topic note, I might not be around later today and for this coming week. But if you release the plugin I will look forward to it for when I do get the chance to check it out.)

As I said this thread started two years ago, so some days are not really important ;-)

The difficult question in this kind of development is where to make the cut to publish something.

The old version supported one sub-path only (one continous line of different segments) with one fill and stroke.

The next one allows one compound-path (multiple sub-paths or shapes) with one fill and stroke.

But what you like to get at the end is multiple compound-paths with group of paths and different strokes and fills. Possible but it is not really easy to provide an ui which a basic user understands.

midoras signature.gif

I think basic users may also find a complex tool appealing, but mostly if they can count on a detailed tutorial (soldiers need training ;)), and provided the basic user is not an occasional user but rather a newbie willing to learn to master the tool in question. Then again, a detailed tutorial for newbies is time-consuming to prepare. But in general terms, I think this type of tool is appropriate for basic users eager to test their courage in face of a complex plugin :)

I think basic users may also find a complex tool appealing, but mostly if they can count on a detailed tutorial (soldiers need training ;)), and provided the basic user is not an occasional user but rather a newbie willing to learn to master the tool in question. Then again, a detailed tutorial for newbies is time-consuming to prepare. But in general terms, I think this type of tool is appropriate for basic users eager to test their courage in face of a complex plugin :)

I agree but there is an additional point. The learning curve must be flat enough so that a user gets quickly a result in the beginning. If the tool is working in a way that you first have to read a ton of documentation or to follow a long tutorial then not a lot of people will do it.

That's the reason why this tool adds basic shapes like circles. You can create a circle with a path and internally this is done (a circle consists of 4 bezier segments). But this representation is hidden from the user. Only in edit mode you may switch the circle to a path and modify the control points of the bezier curve.

Edited by midora

midoras signature.gif