Line *ONLY* , NOT curve

Kme

Hi everybody.

I've been searching about this tool (line/curve) and I din't found anything about that :

Is there any way to draw ONLY with straight lines ? , I mean I don't want to skip the curve edition every time I draw a line, I usually draw by concatenating lines, like old MsPaint does, I find veeeeery uncomfortable to "stop" every time to press enter and skip the curve edition; and I want to keep drawing at the end, so clicking on other place is not an option.

I think an "option" to skip the curve (as pressing enter does) by pressing a key WHILE drawing, or with a different button for each tool would be perfect to allow us to draw continously with lines.

Is there any way to do this ?  is there any plugin for adding a tool with this behaviour ?

I hope I've explained well the question, any suggestion / help is welcome  :)

thanks so much!

Edited by Kme

When using the line / curve tool -  :LineTool:  Holding Shift as you draw will maintain a straight line.

I know, but that's not what I want, if I press Shift , then I'm limited to certain angles (15º I think) , and when I end drawing the line, it still "switches" to curve edition mode. What I want is skip that part, without pressing enter EVERY time, just draw lines one after another  :)

It would be great that with another key (Ctrl or Alt for example) we could "disable" the curve edition part.

thanks for the reply :)

Lloyd, he knows how to draw a line already. He (for the sake of not typing "he/she" through the whole post...) just wants to draw straight lines end-to-end. The issue is that, after you draw a line, the end becomes a nub used to turn the line into a curve, so he has to press enter before starting a new line.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way around that. Just keep one hand on the enter key, I guess :/

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Maybe try the diagonal lines plugin ? http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=5550 You can change the angle and thickness of your lines (if this is what is meant)

Thanks Lloyd, mmm ... but that's not what I'm looking for ...

Lloyd, he knows

how to draw a line already. He (for the sake of not typing "he/she"

through the whole post...) just wants to draw straight lines end-to-end.

The issue is that, after you draw a line, the end becomes a nub used to

turn the line into a curve, so he has to press enter before starting a

new line.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way around that. Just keep one hand on the enter key, I guess :/

THAT'S THE POINT :)  !!  (thanks for helping me explain it pdnnoob) ,  It's just the basic line tool behaviour that are on most paint programs, PDN has impressive features, but I'm not used to draw this way, it's not very comfortable to be all the time "resetting" the lines with the enter ...

That, and a good shape gradient fill (like the old and loved DeluxePaint had), and for me, it would be perfect !! ... maybe in the next version ;)

Thanks for the reply !!

I have just drawn 5 straight lines and only pressed Enter on the final one.

lines_zps1ca64ef2.jpg

You can also simply left click on the canvas to remove the nub(s)  with no need  to press enter.

Perhaps if the OP asked his or her question more clearly, it would then benefit anyone offering to help.  ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

I have just drawn 5 straight lines and only pressed Enter on the final one.

lines_zps1ca64ef2.jpg

You can also simply left click on the canvas to remove the nub(s)  with no need  to press enter.

Perhaps if the OP asked his or her question more clearly, it would then benefit anyone offering to help.  ;)

Is it really so hard to press enter? Is it really? C'mon. Just think of "enter" as a "commit button."

In 4.0, Line and Curve are separate shapes.

Well ..  obviously I have not explained the question well enough , :(  .. ( at least pdnnoob undestood it ... )

I know how to draw "lines" .. but I want to make a drawing by concatenating lines , the next one where the last one finished ,  I do it with the mouse as you do with a digital tablet , I do it since the times of Deluxe Paint (it's for pixel art drawings) 

In MsPaint  It's a quick sequence of click - mouse drag- click - mouse drag- click - mouse drag - click ...  , in PDN is click - mouse drag - press enter - click - mouse drag - press enter - ...

Let's  imagine you are using a digital tablet for drawing, and EVERY time you draw a line with your digital pen you have to lift it and PRESS ENTER (or touch elsewhere)  before continue drawing to avoid editing the last line as a curve !  ... do you really think it's comfortable ?   O_O' ...

If I understand well, in the version 4.0 the line and the curve tool are different tools, If so, for me will be perfect !  :)

Use Polygon Tool plugin, I know it doen't support AntiAlias, but using the plugin with right click and 2 or 1 pixel line width will do the job faster and acceptable.

Edit: sorry forgot to put the link:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=9381

Thanks yellowman ! maybe this is a valid solution , I'll try  :)

PD: I've tried it, not bad, but you have to draw in a separate canvas .. thanks anyway !   :)

Edited by Kme

Click > Mouse Drag > Click in MS Paint, is just the same as Click > Mouse Drag > Enter in paint.net. I know because I have just tried it.

(unless MS paint in windows 8 is different) And, as Rick has mentioned, is it really such a big deal to press Enter ?  
your already having to click in MS Paint. (same as enter in paint.net)  :roll:

ZXCBOoZ.png

Click > Mouse Drag > Click in MS Paint, is just the same as Click > Mouse Drag > Enter in paint.net. I know because I have just tried it.

(unless MS paint in windows 8 is different) And, as Rick has mentioned, is it really such a big deal to press Enter ?  

your already having to click in MS Paint. (same as enter in paint.net)  :roll:

:(  Sorry nitenurse79, I really think that the behaviour of 99% of programs that have a line tool is more convenient than this approach.

Of couse it's only my opinion, I'll see if next version have sepparate tools for lines/curves :)

You still have to press enter to commit the line, however, in 4.0. This is because once you've drawn a shape you can now edit it before committing it (change shape type, properties, colors, etc.).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks yellowman ! maybe this is a valid solution , I'll try  :)

PD: I've tried it, not bad, but you have to draw in a separate canvas .. thanks anyway !   :)

You're welcome, another good feature about the plugin is when you draw the lines on a specific layer using the plugin and exit it,

and then press undo in PDN, add new layer and press Ctrl+F (or click  repeat in the Effect menu) you will have all the drawn lines on a new transparent layer.

You still have to press enter to commit the line, however, in 4.0. This is because once you've drawn a shape you can now edit it before committing it (change shape type, properties, colors, etc.).

I see , this is more like the pen tool of photoshop.

I'll take a look at the new version, but I still need a "standard" line tool :(

Thanks for the reply !

If PDN were exactly the same as the "other" programs it would not be unique and therefore better than those. There are ways around PDN to accomplish most anything those others do and much,much more with a little patience to learn. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

If PDN were exactly the same as the "other" programs it would not be unique and therefore better than those. There are ways around PDN to accomplish most anything those others do and much,much more with a little patience to learn. 

I can't talk about the rest of functions because I'm still playing around, but I think in case of "line drawing" (not drawing spare lines ..) you can't do much more than others, for me is not comfortable this way of working. Sure at the end you can do the same, but, the rest of the world do it in a different way.

Of course it doesn't means that is the best way of doing it, you can totally change the concept to do something  to make something "revolutionary" , but I think this is not the case, because you are supposing that I want to edit all the lines  I'm drawing , and I have to say everytime "No thanks, I don't want to edit a curve" and press Enter ... why ??

If you like this behaviour and think is the best way to implement that tool, I must suppose that when you want to run an application on your computer ,  you first click on the shortcut and then PRESS ENTER to execute , INSTEAD of double click on it .. Hey! you did the same !! ... didn't you ? ;)

Edited by Kme

PDN uses the Enter key to commit something to the canvas.  This gives you space to fiddle with the effect/adjustment/tool before you settle on it.   Imagine if the gradient tool worked the way you are suggesting - no more dragging the control nubs around :(

Well you just taught me something after about 12 years of using a computer.  I never knew you could do that  :dummy:

As for pressing Enter in PDN ... it's all about conditioning.  You soon get used to things.  Plus no point in flogging a dead horse of something that can't be changed 

Hi welshblue,

I'm sure you knew it , but you don't use it because it's nonsense if you have a mouse ;) , anyway there're lots of things that we don't know they even exist if nobody tells, I'm sure I'm missing thousands and I'm using computers since '85  !   ;)  I know the existence of this program lot time ago, and I tried the very first versions, but abandoned it inmediatly for the same reason, for me it's not comfortable for line-drawing.

My intention here only was to ask if there was any way to "override" the "curve edition" that appears when you finish drawing a line, if there's not such option, and the creator thinks this is the best approach to implement the line tool he won't change anything , nor now , nor in the future, so I'll simply use another paint program.

Absolutely yes, you can get used to things , but take a look: Photoshop, Pro Motion, Ultimate Paint, Grafx2, Graphics Gale, MsPaint (and for sure, hundred more that I haven't see in my life...) some for professional photo retouching, some for professional sprite editor, some for basic paint ... all of them have a line tool , and all works the way I say,  so , I prefer to get used to the 99%  ;)

PDN uses the Enter key to commit something to the canvas.  This gives you space to fiddle with the effect/adjustment/tool before you settle on it.   Imagine if the gradient tool worked the way you are suggesting - no more dragging the control nubs around :(

Sorry Ego Eram, but I think there are tools that "may" need this functionallity, but .. line tool ? , I prefer to do once a CTRL+Z  to  undo one wrong line than press 20 times enter  :)  

By the way, actually the rectangle , circle , polygon .. DO NOT have this option!   I  think it's more likely you have to adjust one of this than a line  ;)

Edited by Kme