? about possibly removing "a novel by" from ebook covers

I've got two ebooks coming out with "A NOVEL" in one and "a novel by" in the other. I put those in there thinking that they would distinguish them from other kinds of books, but hanging around in the ebook forums the great majority of people are like, 'Using 'a novel by' is amateurish and unnecessary as the book will be amongst other novels.'

Well, I've looked at plenty of ebooks online I thought were novels that ended up being short stories and I was  not pleased, so I'm not entirely convinced I should be getting rid of them (the 'a novel by,' that is). So, question #1) Do you think I should be getting rid of them?

Question #2) If so, can you give me a general idea of a good way of doing that, where it still looks good?

The Find I did in paint.net before I knew about layers (unfortunately), so everything there is on the same layer.

Man of God was done by a professional cover designer and I have asked him to remove it, but I'm not sure if he will or not. (He did the cover maybe 7 months ago and I've got an email into him three days ago and haven't  heard back.) So I don't know how this one was made.

And one last question: what is up with the file re-sizing action? I know that's vague, but when I re-sized The Find photo to 50% the paint.net uploader said it was too big. When I re-sized it to 40%  paint.net said it was only 33.24 kb. Can that be? Plus paint.net was calling the file sizes just about double what they were in the file's properties. 

Oh well. Hopefully they're big enough for you to see. (And just a hint: 'A NOVEL' is on the gun near the handle in Man of God. And 'a novel by' is right under the IND in The Find.)

Thanks!

post-98269-0-88115300-1368907672_thumb.j

post-98269-0-38298700-1368907815_thumb.j

As in the earlier thread, it is better to upload to a image hosting site. Watch the privacy settings too, I make mine private so that nobody can nick my bandwidth...

Then you post a "thumbnail" of the image & people can look at it in whatever size the image hosting site lets you use or what you created it in which ever is smaller I guess. 

Just another suggestion: you can use the same thread but ask a new question. This keeps all your questions nicely together, as I am having a hard time keeping track. Say for instance, you wanted to know about the drop shadow effects, you could ask that as a reply in this post rather than creating a new thread. It is permitted too to answer a couple of people in the same reply. :D

All such a learning curve isn't it? I'd always rather answer silly questions than fix up big mistakes that could have been prevented with a silly question. :P

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Just another suggestion: you can use the same thread but ask a new question. This keeps all your questions nicely together, as I am having a hard time keeping track. Say for instance, you wanted to know about the drop shadow effects, you could ask that as a reply in this post rather than creating a new thread. It is permitted too to answer a couple of people in the same reply. :D

Exactly.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!