JPEG of columns of text - how to delete a column in the middle & white space left after "cut"?

I'm trying to delete a middle column from a jpeg of a page of text columns without leaving a blank space where the column used to be. Viewing the page as three rectangles -- the rectangle to the left of the unwanted column, the rectangle containing the unwanted column, and the rectangle to the right of the unwanted column, I want to eliminate the middle rectangle and join the right rectangle directly to the left rectangle.

Perhaps I don't know the correct terminology for a search, but I haven't been able to find the answer in this forum or with Google, other than instructions about how to do it in Photoshop, which I don't have.

John

Use the rectangle select tool (press S) to make a selection which covers the middle layer. Press Delete.

Use the same tool to select the right column. Press M to activate the Move tool and drag the right column over until it meets the left.

Deselect and save.

You don't actually need to delete the middle column. You can just drag the right column over the middle to obscure it.