can I get feedback on an ebook cover please

It's a suspense novel along the lines of Mary Higgins Clark.post-98269-0-27075200-1368764515_thumb.j

Is that image big enough to see effectively? (I was trying to keep it under the upload limit.)

And if it's not big enough, can I get a bigger image up on here somehow?

Edited by GreggBell

My recommendations:

1. Larger text for the title & lose the italic slant.

2. Move the enlarged text away from the top (it's too crowded) and center it.

3. Padlock is the center piece of the image.  It will need to be lowered to allow the enlarged title more space.

4. Lose the "a novel by".  It's irrelevant IMHO.

Ego, Thanks for the advice. I got a handle on everything but lowering the padlock. I'm working with 800x1200 size and am locked into the surface area showing as it is. How am I going to lower the lock? (And I am thinking of putting my name on top and the title on the bottom--since there's more room on the bottom.) Your thoughts? Thanks!

If you have placed the lock on its own layer you can reposition it using the rectangle select tool   :RectangleSelectTool:  to draw around your lock and then use the move tool  :MoveTool: to place it lower on the cover.

Thanks nitenurse. No, the lock is part of the original photo so I don't think I can move it. (Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to tell me.) 

(Okay, after reading welshblue's post I have a better idea of what you're saying.)

Edited by GreggBell

The padlock is part of the background..

One way to do it is to select a selection of the background with the padlock on >>> copy >>> paste into a new layer >>> then do as NN said, select the move tool and lower it down using the keyboard arrows (Ctrl and arrow moves it in 10 pixel increments.)  

When it's in place use a transparent gradient to blend the edges in slightly.  To cover the remaining part of the original padlock I just took bits of the background >>> copied then pasted onto a new layer and again used a transparent gradient to blend them in.

This tutorial could also be useful.  Look for the pdf at the bottom of the original post: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19117-the-subterranean-copypaste-blues/

A quick 5 minute example.  It'll be a bit easier without the text in the way

That's amazing that you can do that. I have a friend who suggested putting the title over the lock and then erasing the portion of the title covering the lock. But I think I like your way better. I'll give it a shot. Thanks very much for the instructions and the link.

I'm working with 800x1200 size and am locked into the surface area showing as it is.

Amazon now recommend a cover be 1600x1000. It seems an odd size, but it's what they want.

And I am thinking of putting my name on top and the title on the bottom--since there's more room on the bottom.) Your thoughts? Thanks!

Personally I'd avoid this. It might work for an author who is a household name (King, Tolkien, Bryce Courtney... excuse me if you are a household name!). If readers aren't looking for your works by your name, then the title should be largest and most prominent. The title tells a prospective purchaser a little about the book. Your name probably does not, unless you're famous!

Agree with EER et al. on the placement of the text, both for position & content.

When we were in school we were encouraged to work right to the edges of our drawing paper. However going too close to the edges/borders makes the text look like it is slipping off.

Also, this will help you in uploading larger images :D http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12193-how-to-use-images-in-your-posts-signatures-and-avatars/

The vertical white line does need to be toned back a bit. On a new layer you can add a colour similar & blur it to blend or do what Welshy said with copy/paste blues thing. 

I hope you will continue to show us your progress & hopefully you can upload larger images so we can help you better.

I like the steel doors with the padlock. The industrial feel to the doors makes me think there is a lot of danger & secrets involved that maybe Jamie stumbled across...With Welshy's comment on being intrigued shows that your cover is definitely on the right track. I will keep a look out too. I love my Kindle & hardly a day goes by that I don't have it in my hand :D It is was a gift but it keeps on giving ;)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Amazon now recommend a cover be 1600x1000. It seems an odd size, but it's what they want.

Personally I'd avoid this. It might work for an author who is a household name (King, Tolkien, Bryce Courtney... excuse me if you are a household name!). If readers aren't looking for your works by your name, then the title should be largest and most prominent. The title tells a prospective purchaser a little about the book. Your name probably does not, unless you're famous!

Thanks Ego. Just to keep things straight. You do mean 1600 Height and 1000 Wide, right? I know some people choose WidthxHeight and others Height x width. (I always go by WidthXHeight.) There is a huge debate about Amazon's size recomendations. As far as I can tell my 800X1200 is going to work on the most number of devices without being too big to slow down older e-readers. 

And good advice on the title being high. Just someone suggested it and it made more sense spatially, but I don't like the way it looks, and all my other covers have the title high too. BTW I never heard of Bryce Courtney. lol (Somebody better tell him to get the title high in his books!) Thanks. 

Agree with EER et al. on the placement of the text, both for position & content.

When we were in school we were encouraged to work right to the edges of our drawing paper. However going too close to the edges/borders makes the text look like it is slipping off.

Also, this will help you in uploading larger images :D http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12193-how-to-use-images-in-your-posts-signatures-and-avatars/

The vertical white line does need to be toned back a bit. On a new layer you can add a colour similar & blur it to blend or do what Welshy said with copy/paste blues thing. 

I hope you will continue to show us your progress & hopefully you can upload larger images so we can help you better.

I like the steel doors with the padlock. The industrial feel to the doors makes me think there is a lot of danger & secrets involved that maybe Jamie stumbled across...With Welshy's comment on being intrigued shows that your cover is definitely on the right track. I will keep a look out too. I love my Kindle & hardly a day goes by that I don't have it in my hand :D It is was a gift but it keeps on giving ;)

Thanks Barb, Yes, no doubt the text is crowded up there at the top. I was very uncomfortable with that.

Thank you very much for the link. I know I am asking the typical questions and all, but I'll get better the longer I'm here.

And thanks for the tip about dealing with the line. At first I was like 'what white line?' until you said 'vertical white line.' My inexperienced eye knew something was wrong with that, but you guys knew right off.

And thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I will definitely keep you posted.

Thanks Ego. Just to keep things straight. You do mean 1600 Height and 1000 Wide, right?

Yes that's right.  Don't worry about the file size - Amazon will scale them (down) appropriately  for the format.  The size will not slow down the eReader.

Your 1200Hx800W is not the same ratio as my quoted 1600Hx1000W (1.5 vs 1.6).  Amazon do like that 1.6 ratio.  Your image at that size will probably be quite acceptable though.

Yes that's right.  Don't worry about the file size - Amazon will scale them (down) appropriately  for the format.  The size will not slow down the eReader.

Your 1200Hx800W is not the same ratio as my quoted 1600Hx1000W (1.5 vs 1.6).  Amazon do like that 1.6 ratio.  Your image at that size will probably be quite acceptable though.

Thanks Ego. Yeah, I guess the 1.5 is just a bit wider. (I've heard not a few people complain about the 1.6.)

To me 1.6 looks too tall at 100%, but it's what they request.  Looking at their thumbnails - it scales well.  *shrug*

Thanks to everybody for all the help! Here are the latest two versions of the cover. I'm including the blurb (feel free to skip it) just in case you're wondering if the cover fits the story. The novel is called Jamie's Gamble. All feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Jamie Thompson is the perfect person. Her CEO father has
made sure of that. She has the perfect manners, a perfect tennis backhand and a
perfect life. Her father has groomed her to take the helm of the family company
when she graduates college in a year.

Jamie has a silver spoon in her mouth—and she’s gagging on
it.

She has to get away.

She’s come up with the perfect plan. A friend in a west
Texas border town has lined up an accounting job for her, but when Jamie gets
there the job has fallen through. But there’s a waitress position open at a bar
and grill. The one thing Jamie knows is she isn’t going back to her father, and
so, broke, sixteen hundred miles from home and alone for the first time in her
life, she goes for it.

What she finds is a world of gun-toting cowboys, Mexican
drug gangs, the occult and that there’s been a string of brutal rapes and
murders. And Ricky Benson, a flame-throwing baseball pitcher, fallen from
grace, who she falls head over heels in love with.

But the violence escalates. A fellow waitress is murdered,
and Jamie feels like she might be next. Then Ricky Benson is accused of murder.

Jamie can make one phone call and her father will send the
company jet for her—or she can stay and face the life that confronts her and
fight for the man she loves.

92vk1c0hpdpglf4fg.jpg

2z4s8e29tnlpbg1fg.jpg

My personal preference is for the lower one.  Nice job Gregg!  Best of luck with the publication.