How to Install Plugins ×

Octagonal/Quad reshape/matte

evanolds

Or make a new one but with more controls?

What types of additions do you want? When you say more controls do you mean more control points? All control point modes with > 4 points make it mathematically impossible to stretch the image to the region, although you can still use the matte feature in those cases.

I'm glad you guys like it. I sort of just made it as a technical test of implementing my own polygonal region calculation code from the ground up, so it's glad to see it's actually been usefull. I could play around with some new features, but I don't exactly what you guys would like to see changed.

Things like snapping it to special control points that have been previously set by another plug-in are not feasable because that data can't be shared across plug-ins. If someone comes up with a good generic type of modification I'll try to work it in.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Finally, there's hope, the plugin master has come!

Evanolds, I was wondering if it could be possible to be more precise in distorting the shape of a picture. This would make fitting a picture to the side of a 3D box very much easier.

The four corners of the side could be determined by the user quite easily by placing the mouse cursor over the corners.

Then I would like to use a newer version of your plugin on a picture placed on a layer above the box. If by having the four corners position (x,y) specified, we could all then re-shape the picture easily into the side or facade of the box.

In other words, instead of doing it by trial and error, we can now quite specifically use the plugin to re-shape the picture to fit the side of the box or other four corner shape.

Looking at your current plugin, I think (and earnestly hope) it's possible!!!

@ david:

I don't think the Plugin API has access to the current relative cursor position. Notice that, when an Effects dialog is open, the cursor position readout in the status bar does not dynamically update.

It may be possible to use a quad set of input boxes for direct pixel-position input, but this method would require the user to temporarily memorize four coordinate pairs before the plugin is even run.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hi Dan,

Jotting down the four corners is much easier than trying to fix the corners using the current plugin or rotatation feature in Paint.net.

Just imagine how easy it would be to fill the visible sides of the box or any four sided shape (quadragon? Lol - forgotten the correct term!).

Right now it's agony fitting a picture precisely to the side facade of a box.

Hope springs eternal....

David

Or make a new one but with more controls?

What types of additions do you want? When you say more controls do you mean more control points? All control point modes with > 4 points make it mathematically impossible to stretch the image to the region, although you can still use the matte feature in those cases.

I'm glad you guys like it. I sort of just made it as a technical test of implementing my own polygonal region calculation code from the ground up, so it's glad to see it's actually been usefull. I could play around with some new features, but I don't exactly what you guys would like to see changed.

Things like snapping it to special control points that have been previously set by another plug-in are not feasable because that data can't be shared across plug-ins. If someone comes up with a good generic type of modification I'll try to work it in.

If possible, maybe let user see the coordinate (or at least some sort of numbers) of the nubs they are moving?

Or, have a check box so left to right (top to bottom) nobs can move Symmetrical?

At the moment it's kinda hard to get all the nobs to the right spot.

And like the line tool in PDN, after drawing the line, 4 nobs.

If users use left mouse to move the nobs, the line curves sharp/fast, if use the right mouse button, then the line curves slow.

Hope these make sense :P

Thank for your time again, evanolds!!!

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Ok, I see that there's need for some higher precision and some more general control options. I have a few ideas of my own as well that I might try to work in.

Gives me a few months though (yes MONTHS, I'm working on a render engine at the moment).

Eventually I'll dive back into it and make some of the suggested improvements. Davidtayhs, I’m still a bit confused about what you’re asking for. Are you asking for the ability to type in the ordered pairs of the four coordinates, i.e. you’d enter (23, 54), (45, 54), (45, 100), (23, 100) or something like that to get exact pixel locations for the vertices? I really recommend that if you’re trying to 3D stuff that you use the Shape3D plug-in. But if you’re asking for some type of high precision adjustment, I might be able to work that in (if nothing else, I’ll just make the image region bigger).

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Ok, I see that there's need for some higher precision and some more general control options. I have a few ideas of my own as well that I might try to work in.

Gives me a few months though (yes MONTHS, I'm working on a render engine at the moment).

Eventually I'll dive back into it and make some of the suggested improvements. Davidtayhs, I’m still a bit confused about what you’re asking for. Are you asking for the ability to type in the ordered pairs of the four coordinates, i.e. you’d enter (23, 54), (45, 54), (45, 100), (23, 100) or something like that to get exact pixel locations for the vertices? I really recommend that if you’re trying to 3D stuff that you use the Shape3D plug-in. But if you’re asking for some type of high precision adjustment, I might be able to work that in (if nothing else, I’ll just make the image region bigger).

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Few months :o Take you time :)

Can you also put the plugin under "distort" :)

And maybe a reset button would help..

Maybe rename the plugin to just "reshape/matt"?? :P

Thanks!!

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

The months may roll by as long as we've hope.

To be more specific, I was hoping for options that would allow us to input the x,y coordinates for the four corners (or eight if possible) of the new position for the picture.

These x,y coordinates we can determine easily by placing the cursor over the points where the picture is to be positioned (e.g. the four corners of the side of a box)and noting them down on paper. Then with the revised plugin, we could precisely fit the picture into its new setting.

Hope the request is clear!! Thanks for the response despite your business.

Great plugin, just what I was looking for, except if I'm using it to overlay a picture over another one (like say put a picture on the billboard in another picture) I can't see the corners of the billboard to line up the picture I'm reshaping... if you know what I mean, kinda have to use trial and error while reshaping.

Here's a pic to better describe it:

piclg8.th.jpg

:)

Lower the opacity of the overlay layer...

Or, add a new layer on top of the overlay layer and draw bright pink dots at the four corners of the billboard! :lol:

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

And 1 more thing I just thought of:

How about allowing users to drag the nubs outwards beyond the borders.

This way we can really reshape something :)

Pull it wider.

Thanks for your time.

I'll second this request as well as the added nub/points what ever you call them.

this is one of my most used effects I just love it and more than willing to wait the few months.

thanks in advance.

chow

• 3 months later...