Newbie question - create illusion of highlight marker

create a  new layer (ctrl+shift+n), open the layer properties window (F4), and set the blend mode to "multiply."

Then, just use the brush tool (or line tool at an appropriate brush size) to draw over the text.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

create a  new layer (ctrl+shift+n), open the layer properties window (F4), and set the blend mode to "multiply."

Then, just use the brush tool (or line tool at an appropriate brush size) to draw over the text.

Not working. I created a new layer with same dimensions as original image.  I defined the new layer as you described.

However it does not give the appearance of an overlay, so you are effectively drawing a line on the original image, which turns out to be fully opaque.

I'm not sure why you would say anything about the layer being the same dimension as the original...there isn't any way to change the size of individual layers in paint.net

Anyhow, make sure you set the color of the brush to the desired color of highlighter. Black will simply show up as black when the layer blend mode is set to multiply.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm not sure why you would say anything about the layer being the same dimension as the original...there isn't any way to change the size of individual layers in paint.net

Anyhow, make sure you set the color of the brush to the desired color of highlighter. Black will simply show up as black when the layer blend mode is set to multiply.

Working now thanks.  File->New creates a new layer (or hotkeys as you describe).  Clicking on the new layer and then accessing Layer->Properties allows you to resize the new layer, does it not?  Anyway that's not needed here.

Edited by SofaCritic

File>New creates a new image, not a new layer

The hotkey for a new image is ctrl+n. ctrl+shift+n creates a new layer, which is a component of the currently selected image.

Layer>Properties has no way to resize the layer. Image>Resize resizes the image.

File>New creates a new image, not a new layer

The hotkey for a new image is ctrl+n. ctrl+shift+n creates a new layer, which is a component of the currently selected image.

Layer>Properties has no way to resize the layer. Image>Resize resizes the image.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I've done a few things in Paint, but not with multiple layers. /SC