make a tire tread

First thoughts:-

It looks like it is based on hexagonal (not square) pattern to me.

Try this http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=3078 and erase the lines not required.

Hope that helps.

He isn't referring to the pattern when he says "square"...

Like RedOchre said, use the plugin and erase unneeded lines. You don't have to do as much work as it first appears, though. Since the pattern repeats itself, simply erase the unnecessary lines in a small patch, then copy and paste it as needed.

EDIT: unless when you say "square," you mean you only need a small square and the program will tile it for you. Then you need to be careful when you select your area to be used or it won't tile seamlessly.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Re-reading - it could be either or both! :D

I would think it could be challenging to get a hexagonal pattern to repeat via squares?

Perhaps the 'seemless texture maker' plugin might help too http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=4591,

or maybe not?

Good luck!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Right up my alley way.

This is rather simple. Search for a free image of a tire tread you like. Make sure it's royalty free. Make sure it's as close to direct looking at it as you can.

Use the seamless texture plug in vertical. This way the tread will repeat when you place it on the outer faces of your mesh. Make a black and white copy of it in inverted. Use this for the bump map. You can add dirt with the cloud plugin set to trasparent and a brown color. Make it small and rotate it every so often when you apply it so as not to make an obvious repeat. Good luck.

If it doesn't need to look exact, you can use something like the maze plugin. Also, make sure to increase contrast on your bump map.

Edited by Visual

Never seen that tiling plugin. Who has it wb?

For the first question. You can use that image if you want that exact tire, but it is from the side view slightly. It would need to be fixed with perspective.

I found this image and did a quick example. It's small so you can't use it. You need to learn it and do it.

http://postimg.org/image/4ybxtjrx1/

Thanks for the ideas.

In the 3D modeling program, the tire tread texture "tiles" or repeats, around the tire seemlessly.

The car I'm working on is a BRM race car from the early 1960's so this tire tread pattern is not commonly seen anymore, therefore I will need to make the texture.

The result should look something like the attached pic.

post-74607-0-43142200-1366894842_thumb.j

Then what you do is copy a single tread shape. You will need to paste it in rows yourself. It will take some time, but you should get what you need.

I would actually myself just make a pattern in whatever program you use and boolean the shapes to a segment of a tire mesh of an 10 degree wedge. repeat that 36 times for your 360. That way you can color adjust it as you like.

I found this low detail way. It does it with only bump. You can easily do a patern in black and white to achieve the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C71THhs17f0

Edited by Visual

thanks Visual,
What you are suggesting is to make the tire tread pattern out of mesh, ............. rather than paint a tread texture pattern mapped onto a low poly mesh.

Using this hi-poly mesh method will result in each tire being several thousand polys, but since it is for a game model, you can't use that many polys ............ so the only choice therefore to make a low poly tire mesh and add a tire tread texture along with a bump_map, spec_map and cube_map to finish it off.

How high-quality does the image need to be, and does it need to be square? I managed to distort the tire you provided to make the texture tile properly, but it's rather small and it's not a perfect square.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

thanks for the help pdnnoob,
Typically for most games, you need to make textures in .dds format and a multiple of 256x256 or 512x512 or 1024x1024 (pixels).
Anything smaller than 256x256 is pretty blurry as it gets enlarged.
And if the texture is larger than 1024x1024 the game often has low frame-rates-per-second.
Or a multiple of the above also works ........example  256x1024
Then you map the texture to the 3D mesh you are working with ........................ and in this case the tire tread texture will repeat or "tile" seemlessly around the tire.

thanks Visual,

What you are suggesting is to make the tire tread pattern out of mesh, ............. rather than paint a tread texture pattern mapped onto a low poly mesh.

Using this hi-poly mesh method will result in each tire being several thousand polys, but since it is for a game model, you can't use that many polys ............ so the only choice therefore to make a low poly tire mesh and add a tire tread texture along with a bump_map, spec_map and cube_map to finish it off.

Now it makes more sense. I did not know you needed it for a game. Wasn't in your original posting. Do you know how to texture bake?

If not, you really need to look at the video i embedded. You can use just the bump channel for your tread pattern.

You can do it with a 256x white square and make a tread pattern with a black brush and make it similar to the pattern in your picture. You can actually almost trace it if you put it on the bottom and make a new layer to trace from. Then put it in rows so it can tile.

EER may be able to shine some of his god like light on it ...

I'm not EER, but the plugin you're looking for is a part of Curtis's plugin pack

...and I did find it in the plugin index, so don't be scrambling to add it, EER ;)

Edited by pdnnoob

I'm not EER...

Nope you're not EER ... but hey, a Rabbi ...

I hereby declare @pdnnoob "Assistant Director EER" in my absence :lol:

Looks good - well done!

I'm afraid I barely understood a word Visual wrote, but clearly he has supplied some very knowledgeable answers (rep'd).

Thanks, ocre

Those terms are known in the model/rendering world.

Looks good fraser. I hope it all works out for you. I see you took the tan and turned it into a black and white, inverted it and then maybe darkened it?

I was going to suggest that, but you did it on your own. I think i captured the pattern pretty good?

Yes thanks again Visual.  Did as you said above.

:)

By the way, how exactly did you do the pattern ??

I used your thumbnail and made a new layer. Used a brush to trace part of the pattern. Just flipped it over and merged it. Some i did freehand.

Some things take some practice and patience. It helps that i have some ability in 3d space. I still have much more to learn. It's always changing.