Change save as .PNG to .JPG

SkipOldNavy

I have been using Paint.net for several years now and I have a question. I save absolutely non of my images as .PNG. I save all of them as .JPG, since .JPG is the most commonly used format on the Internet. Is there a way I change the automatic setting from .PNG to .JPG? :smile:

I save absolutely non of my images as .PNG. I save all of them as .JPG, since .JPG is the most commonly used format on the Internet. Is there a way I change the automatic setting from .PNG to .JPG? :smile:

Saving your images as JPG loses fidelity each time you save it.  PNG is a lossless format so the fidelity is preserved 100% between saves.

JPG might be the most common format - but this is no excuse to use it exclusively.  Remember you can't animate a JPG, and you can't preserve quality or the layer structure with the JPG format.  Simple images such as web banners and buttons are often considerably smaller files when saved as PNG.

Changing the format - no.  The default is PNG for single layered images (PDN for multi-layered images) so you do not lose quality when you save using the default settings.  If you choose to change the setting you accept the loss of quality - and potentially the layer structure.