How to Install Plugins ×

Object Bevel update 1/4/2016 (previously Bevel Object)

Red ochre

Dude, I think I just fell in love a little bit with you!

Thanks for sharing and this has SO MUCH POTENTIAL for me =O

Don't thank me, thank Red Ochre for creating this very nice plugin. I just stumbled upon a cool effect while playing with it....

• Upvote 2

69unju0.gif

You can use this method to create your engraved logo and save it as a 32-bit png to overlay on any texture/image. It can make a cool watermark for example....

TBlSk9r.gif

• Upvote 2

69unju0.gif

I tried several times to get the same engraved look as what Dipstick achieved with that PDN image and I couldn't do it until I decided to try it with a frame.

Anyway, I think there is a bug of some sort, see attached image.

This first occurred last night when I was working with a large image (2500 x 2500). Then I gave up because, you know, life. Tried again this morning with a smaller canvas and the bug returned.

It seems to work the first few tries but after using Bevel Objects 3-4 times this is what happens. I'm using PDN 4.09 on a Windows 7 machine.

ppbB4jE.jpg

Me again. I tried restarting paint.net and to replicate the problem and I think I found what's wrong:

It's when I try to use the Bevel Objects plug-in with a frame present that it wigs out. If I use it just on the text, no problems. But if I try it on the frame, either by itself or merged with the text layer, I get the error message.

EDIT: I read the limitations on the previous page and now realize it's not a bug. Sorry.

So now I guess I don't know how to do Dipstick sweet, sweet PDN engraving above :(

Edited by AgentGoodspeed

AgentGoodSpeed - the effect is designed to work on 'objects' (opaque areas surrounded by fully transparent pixels).
If it is run on a layer with many opaque pixels it will take forever - looping out to try and find an object edge for each solid pixel!
I made the mistake of running it on a solid layer whilst writing and testing it and decided to add a 'safety' slider to limit how long it takes. Otherwise you could be waiting hours for it to complete, with no way of cancelling. :(

I suggest you keep the text and the frame on different layers. If you want to live dangerously you can increase the 'maximum time limit' slider.
(I did say it was a bit 'clunky'... it was the first one I wrote using VS, so quite astounded it works at all! :D )

If I ever get time I will try to find a better solution.

Eli - great use of the plugin. To me it looks more like slate than metal but it's a good look! - thanks for posting the image. B):beer:

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks, Red.

I've been playing with objects only, no worries there. It's when the object touches the outer edge of the canvas that I'm getting the error message. For kicks, I downloaded the exact same PNG Harley-Davidson logo from above and I got the error message because it touched the outer edge. After I reduced it a little it worked.

I've used this great plug-in in the past for text but I wanted to make some cool effects like Dipstick, especially the PDN way the ice texture above. I still can't figure it out though…

To make that PDN ice image, you'll need to make transparent text on a black background. Start with a black rectangle, add white text, then delete the white text so it looks something like this. Then put it on a layer above your texture and apply the Bevel Object plugin to the text layer...

MTIQREo.png

Alternatively you can create a white text and add a black border, then delete the white text and apply the Bevel Objects plugin so it looks something like this.

BEiyLRB.jpg

• Upvote 1

69unju0.gif

Okay now I feel like an idiot because it's probably the ONE thing I didn't try :roll:

Thanks, dude! I'll need to try this tomorrow...

Finally got it! And tweaking the maximum time limit slider has helped a lot to cut down on error messages.

Thanks again guys!

he45ckJ.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well done for persevering AgentGoodspeed!
Good result, thanks for posting the image.

I've started re-writing Bevel object and intend to produce an updated version without the time limit slider and warning, now I have a better idea what I'm doing.
The functionality will stay the same.

• Upvote 3

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Well done for persevering AgentGoodspeed!

Good result, thanks for posting the image.

I've started re-writing Bevel object and intend to produce an updated version without the time limit slider and warning, now I have a better idea what I'm doing.

The functionality will stay the same.

All the best !

ba2ec8c.png

Red ochre! 

Thank you soo much for this new plugin.  :beer:   :pizza:

naqyqtbu.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 2

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png