The 17 plane symmetry groups in Paint.Net?

Hi,

I have recently taken interest in symmetry groups and symmetry operations.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallpaper_group)

Symmetry operations can be an amzing design tool.

I looked in the plugins database, but all I could find is a mirroring effect, not any glide operations, axis rotation operations and combinations thereoff.

I was wondering if it is possible to code a plugin with codelab that can take an object and perform symmetry opetrations on it, accoording to any chosen symmetry group (or allow the user to choose point of symmetry, define a unit cell, etc).

If it is possible, I would appriciate it if you refer to to a codelab tutorial - I am familiar with C programming (if "HEY, World" can be considered as familiar...)

Thanks.

Hello World! ;)

BoltBait has some excellent codelab tutorials here:http://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/help/tutorial.asp

I have thought about a plugin along these lines to help with tessalations - to explore Escherish/Islamic patterns, but decided it was far too difficult for me!
However I believe it would be possible and a great plugin to have.
Tiling and reflecting are relatively easy when rectangular but more complex symmetries could be a head-ache.

Good luck - maybe worth starting a thread in the Developers central section of the forum if you have a beta and need advice.

If it will help to get you started here is some codelab code for a little tiling/reflecting plugin that I abandoned ... the anti-aliasing when scaling down was getting too problematic.
Simply unzip the .cs file, open in codelab and build the .dll (then restart Pdn).

This eventually became Aardvark here Aardvark

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg