Changing save format

SkipOldNavy

I never save images in the .png format. :jark: I always use .jpg or .jpeg. Is there a way I can change the auto save from .png to .jpeg? :smile:

No.  The reason is down to lossless vs lossless formats.  The Developer of Paint.NET (Rick Brewster) is forcing you to make a conscious decision when you reduce the quality of the image.  You see, JPG's always lose data when you save them.  PNGs do not, but are restricted to a single layer.  PDNs save all the information in all layers.

So by default, a single layered image defaults to the PNG format when saving.  A multi-layered image defaults to PDN.  This way your image data is safe.

If you choose to save your image as a JPG then it's on your head when you reopen it and weep because all the layers are squished into one.

• Like 1

If i may add. This is an important point he just told you. I always save a master of something as a pdn and when you decide to make changes and save it in whatever format, you'll always have something to go back and adjust. I used to punch myself because i would flatten and save it and close pdn. When i wanted to change it again i realised that it was now time to start over. Trust me and save a master copy as a pdn.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

so I see this is an old topic but ricks decision to lock down the save as type options is a kin to the annoying nannys in modern cars. Turn off lane departure and traction control and next time you start the car they are back on......ANNOYING!   For years Paint.net had the option in preferences to save by default in the format of your choice.  If I was into editing enough to know the difference then I had the options to chose a format that retains layers, If I didnt care and just use .jpg then good for me.  At least the option was there.  Paint.net for as long as I have been using it on install, by default was set to PNG.   FINE RICK, USERS HAVE BEEN WARNED!  If we go in and consciously change it they we went out of the way to change it.  Nothing more annoying then when a developer begins to remove features and options as the software matures.  Updates shouldn't come at the expense of past features.  By the way, A rant.....yes but I do contribute and appreciate the work put into delivering Paint.net. 

• BoltBait locked this topic
On 6/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, RonRob61 said:

For years Paint.net had the option in preferences to save by default in the format of your choice.

No. It's never had such an option.

At least the option was there.

No, it wasn't.

Nothing more annoying then when a developer begins to remove features and options as the software matures.

Nothing was removed.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg