Question about text in Paint.NET

joshbl56

Hello everyone! I was messing around with making userbars in Paint.Net and noticed a few odd things. For one, the font seems to be bigger than normal (I'm only testing this beside Photoshop so I don't really know how the font size in Gimp is).

LHLoaKp.png

This is Times New Roman, font size 24 pt. While I do admit that the larger size is more flattering and easier to read, I was just wondering why it was so big compaired to photoshop.

I also wanted to question about the space between letters. As seen in the picture up top, the spacing is great. My problem though is with smaller letters (like the ones you use in a small userbar).

gQkzsT9.png

(sorry to everyone for the supersmall text)

As seen here, I used size 7 font (for paint.net) and size 10 font (photoshop) to make them the same size but paint.net's version has all the letters squeezed together and much harder to read, while photoshops has some space between the letters. Is there a reason it is done like this? Is there a way to put more space between the letters?

I have tried to use Text+ from dpy, which is great for adding space yourself, but doesn't have non-antialiasing for sharper letters (at least I've never found it). I love using Paint.net and use it for everything except small text, which requires me to fire up photoshop and then wait 10+ seconds just to let it load and is a pain to try and do multipe files that need different text. I hope someone can help me with this odd problem :)

If I'm not mistaken, this is an issue with dpi. Photoshop adjusts text size based on dpi, but paint.net treats all your text as if you are working at 96 dpi (standard monitor resolution). Since photoshop defaults to a dpi of seventy-something, the text ends up smaller.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If I'm not mistaken, this is an issue with dpi. Photoshop adjusts text size based on dpi, but paint.net treats all your text as if you are working at 96 dpi (standard monitor resolution). Since photoshop defaults to a dpi of seventy-something, the text ends up smaller.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for answering one of my questions :)