what's the 'new screen' window all about?

Hi, Absolutely new here but I love paint.net. Here's the thing. When I open paint.net I get a blank screen and then of course I can open whatever I want. So say I open something. Then when I want a new blank screen I click on the blank screen (with the little green + sign) icon and when I do, I get a window titled "New" and it's got the size dimensions there. (I've attached the screenshot.) It's got the pixel dimensions as: Width:1024 Height:768, the print dimensions as: Width:10.67 and Height:8.00. The 'maintain aspect ratio' box is unchecked.

Is this the default setting? I mean, do I just click "OK" and go from there? Or is this something I can and maybe should be adjusting depending on what I'm working on?

Thanks.

This made me smile :)

Welcome to the world of art, where you can make your drawings whatever size you want!

I would recommend making the dimensions twice as large as what you want your final product to be, then resizing it back down when you're done.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks for responding pdnnoob. I'm still not sure about things though. Maybe I didn't explain myself well. What I usually do in paint.net is open something (and with the first thing I open I don't get the "new" window asking me about dimensions), usually a photo. Then after I'm done working on it, I'll open the blank screen and so then, do I need to know the size of the thing I'm going to be posting there (so as to make the blank screen twice as large)? Which is do-able but I remember using paint.net a while ago and not having to do that.

I realize what I'm trying to do is probably so simple, but I'm just not getting it completely yet. Could you try explaining it again?

Thanks.

When you create a new image after opening paint.net, you will always get the "new image" prompt. The default image size is 800x600, but if you have an image copied to your clipboard, paint.net will automatically set the dimensions to the size of that image (you still get the prompt).

When you open paint.net rather than opening an image, you do not get such a prompt and the blank canvas is automatically set to the default dimensions (800x600).

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

As 'noob has said.  A new canvas will automatically be created the size of a clipboard image (if there is one).  If no image is held in the clipboard, or if opening Paint.NET without a source image, the default canvas size will be applied.

If you are pasting an image into a previously opened canvas you will get one of two things happening:

1. The image is smaller than the canvas or exactly the same size.  The image will be pasted into the top left corner of the canvas.  If the pasted image is smaller there will be portions of the canvas unused.  Press Ctrl + Shift + X immediately following the pasting operation to crop the unused portion off.

2. The image is larger than the canvas.  You will be promoted to resize the canvas or keep it the same size.  Choose Resize to make it large enough to hold the entire pasted image

When you create a new image after opening paint.net, you will always get the "new image" prompt. The default image size is 800x600, but if you have an image copied to your clipboard, paint.net will automatically set the dimensions to the size of that image (you still get the prompt).

When you open paint.net rather than opening an image, you do not get such a prompt and the blank canvas is automatically set to the default dimensions (800x600).

I get it now pdnnoob. Thanks a lot!

Gregg

If you are pasting an image into a previously opened canvas you will get one of two things happening:

1. The image is smaller than the canvas or exactly the same size.  The image will be pasted into the top left corner of the canvas.  If the pasted image is smaller there will be portions of the canvas unused.  Press Ctrl + Shift + X immediately following the pasting operation to crop the unused portion off.

2. The image is larger than the canvas.  You will be promoted to resize the canvas or keep it the same size.  Choose Resize to make it large enough to hold the entire pasted image

Thanks, Ego. I'm going to have to think about this one for a while, but I do get the basics now. Appreciate the help. Thanks. Gregg