Can Paint.NET mask existing areas in an image?

My primary graphics task is working with application screencaps... mainly masking out private customer information, and sometimes overlaying 'dummy' data in its place.

With a drawing program, the process goes like this:

• Draw a box somewhere near the field I'm masking.
  • Use the color-matching tool to ensure that the box matches the field.
  • Resize and reposition the box to exactly cover the field.
  • (Optional) Repeat this process with a text box to present the 'dummy' data on top.
10ib91d.png

However, my workplace requires us to use Paint, which doesn't support drawing actions like this (moving and resizing objects). Is there some other way to accomplish this task with the tools Paint does have?

You can move & resize objects (Like picture, text & etc) with the move tools. I do suggest you to watch Paint.NET basic tutorial on youtube.

Well, no you can't. You cannot select an object you just drew and move the object; you can only select an area and move ALL the pixels, which is not useful to me.

I looked under the Effects menu and didn't see anything called "Fade." (Actually, I didn't recognize anything I did see under the Effects menu, either.) Where can Fade be found?

Edited by Calybos

Well, no you can't. You cannot select an object you just drew and move the object; you can only select an area and move ALL the pixels, which is not useful to me.

I looked under the Effects menu and didn't see anything called "Fade." (Actually, I didn't recognize anything I did see under the Effects menu, either.) Where can Fade be found?

Draw the object on new layer and select the object with the select tools then move it with the move tools.

Also, download and install the plugins pack for more effects.

Edited by Copy Cat Master

I notice you say "paint" and not "paint.net" in both of your posts. This forum is for paint.net, not paint, and the two are unrelated in every way except that they are graphics editing programs for windows.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You need to understand layers. Press F1 in Paint.NET and it will open the online documentation. Read up on using layers.

The idea with layers is that you can use one layer for each element in your image. A layer can be manipulated independently of all the others. So you can move a single layer with an object on it without affecting the rest of the image.