Reformatting the Plugin Index

Ego Eram Reputo

He wrote most of the one I'm using.  I just chewed up his code when it broke.

Might be a problem that not all the *.dll files are attached to the forum - some are hosted offsite. 

All the fonts for comparison purposes.

Chroma Key (Green) by tarheit For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.
Circle Text by dpy Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack
*NEW* Clipwarp by Red ochre Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Chroma Key (Green) by tarheit For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.
*NEW* Clipwarp by Red ochre Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

In all honesty I like BoltBait's suggested Verdana (the last one).  Second place goes to the original Arial (first one).  Verdana is slightly wider - making the word 'metallic' easier to read.

As you can see I'm also toying with the suggestion to one-per-line.  Thoughts?

Strangely - many of the BB tags don't seem to be working.  I wanted to bung in a bit of HTML (a table) but it simply doesn't work.  Same with highlighting :( Oh well, options for formatting are therefore more limited than I had thought.

highlighting works just fine

HTML has never been allowed here. That's the point of BBCode.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Here's a couple more things I came up with for ideas. Take what you like and leave what you don't. I put it in a hidden box to show what it looks like with the gray border (not that it matters much).

Hidden Content:
Original (for comparison)
[topic=TOPIC_ID][b][color=#0000ff]NAME[/color][/b][/topic] - [b][color=#8040FF][member=AUTHOR][/color][/b]
DESCRIPTION[/topic]
[HR] *NEW* [topic=TOPIC_ID][b][color=#0000ff]NAME[/color][/b][/topic] - [b][color=#8040FF][member=AUTHOR][/color][/b]
DESCRIPTION[HR]
Chroma Key (Green) - @tarheit

For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.

Circle Text - @dpy

Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack

*NEW* Clipwarp - @Red ochre

Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Clouds Plugin - @Sepcot

Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.

CodeLab v1.8 - @Tom Jackson

Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.

My original suggestion

[topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12](DESCRIPTION)[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]*NEW*[/b][/color] [topic=TOPICID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12](DESCRIPTION)[/size][/i][/color]
Chroma Key (Green) by @tarheit (For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.)

Circle Text by @dpy (Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack)

*NEW* Clipwarp by @Red ochre (Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.)

Clouds Plugin by @Sepcot (Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.)

CodeLab v1.8 by @Tom Jackson (Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.)

BoltBait's Verdana

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]
[url=TOPIC_URL][b]NAME[/b][/url] by [b][url=AUTHOR_URL]AUTHOR[/url][/b] DESCRIPTION
[b]*NEW*[/b] [url=TOPIC_URL][b]NAME[/b][/url] by [b][url=AUTHOR_URL]AUTHOR[/url][/b] DESCRIPTION
[/font]

Clouds Plugin by Sepcot Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.

CodeLab v1.8 by Tom Jackson Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.

My Suggestion - Slightly Modified

[topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME [/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]*NEW*[/b][/color] [topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
Chroma Key (Green) by @tarheit – For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.

Circle Text by @dpy – Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack

*NEW* Clipwarp by @Red ochre – Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Clouds Plugin by @Sepcot – Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.

CodeLab v1.8 by @Tom Jackson – Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.

My Suggestion - Slightly Modified with Blue-er Links

[topic=TOPIC_ID][b][color=#0000ff]NAME[/color][/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]*NEW*[/b][/color] [topic=TOPIC_ID][b][color=#0000ff]NAME[/color][/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
Chroma Key (Green) by @tarheit – For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.

*NEW* Clipwarp by @Red ochre – Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Clouds Plugin by @Sepcot – Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.

CodeLab v1.8 by @Tom Jackson – Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.

My Suggestion - Slightly Modified with Vernada

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]
[topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]*NEW*[/b][/color] [topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color]
[/font]

My Suggestion - Slightly Modified with Bullets

[LIST]
[*][topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color][/*]
[*][color=#ff0000][b]*NEW*[/b][/color] [topic=TOPIC_ID][b]NAME[/b][/topic] by [b][member=AUTHOR][/b] [color=#808080][i][size=12]– DESCRIPTION[/size][/i][/color][/*]
[/LIST]

@pyrochild. Thanks got it. See?  Was trying to use the highlight tag, when I should have been using the background tag.

I'm sure the list of tags I'm trying to use is out of date.  Is there a list of tags on the forum?

@superkingt:  thanks for the suggestions.  I like the second to last one best (I don't think the bullet points add value to the listing).  I'm going to use the red color to denote *NEW* items too!  

Does anyone have an issue with the italics used for the description?

Building on the keyword suggestion, this is the sort of thing I was thinking of to make parsing the plugin forum easier:  

Plugin_Name: AntiCat Plugin    (Optional - for when there are multiple effects in a pack.)

DLL_Name: Meowmeow.dll  

Installed_Location: Effects > Distort > Cats  

Second to last works for me too. Easy to differentiate the parts of text. Looks clean & professional.

EER, you gonna make a lot of loot with that plugin ;) If you can make one for bats & possums, you will be the richest man in the world :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Second to last looks best to me - thanks for illustrating superkingt. :star:

I would suggest "under: Effects/Distort/Cats" rather than Installed_Location because it is shorter and new users may be looking for a 'Distort' folder inside the 'Effects' folder, to install the .dll into.

As for all the extra work EER will have to do - perhaps just add the info as new plugins are added. - Rome wasn't built in a day!

It may be useful to show the date the plugin was published too. The next priority, IMO, would be to go through the plugin packs and make sure there is a seperate entry for each of the plugins. Try looking up 'Bevel Selection'. (fortunately we all know who is to blame for that one!  ;)  )

What would be useful (and a pain to create), would be a simple list of .dll names and what effect/pack they relate to - common and oddly named .dlls especially.

Perhaps built in effects could be shown black with 'built in - no .dll' by their entry.

I think it would be sensible to request this information in the plugin rules. It wouldn't hurt to request that plugin authors edit their plugin threads to clearly show this information and make EER's life a little easier.

EER - Well done for keeping these lists updated!

(I really wish 'Which Symbol Plus' was under 'Text Formations' not 'Render', where it sits 6 inches below the screen!).

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I would suggest "under: Effects/Distort/Cats" rather than Installed_Location because it is shorter and new users may be looking for a 'Distort' folder inside the 'Effects' folder, to install the .dll into.

How about PDN_Menu: Effects>Distort>Cats? I want a unique name to reduce the risk of it occurring naturally.

As for all the extra work EER will have to do - perhaps just add the info as new plugins are added.

You are too kind :)

It may be useful to show the date the plugin was published too.

Already have this info from my scraper. Adding it to the listing is fairly easy - but is it actually useful? I find the topic number sufficient to indicate the plugin's approximate age.

The next priority, IMO, would be to go through the plugin packs and make sure there is a seperate entry for each of the plugins.

It could be done. Perhaps.

Perhaps built in effects could be shown black with 'built in - no .dll' by their entry.

Good idea.

I think it would be sensible to request this information in the plugin rules. It wouldn't hurt to request that plugin authors edit their plugin threads to clearly show this information and make EER's life a little easier.

We can ask once the format is sorted.

I really wish 'Which Symbol Plus' was under 'Text Formations' not 'Render', where it sits 6 inches below the screen!

When I wrote WhichSymbol+ the text submenu didn't exist ;)

Just 'Menu' would do - less is more!

Re. Which symbol plus - I've downloaded it more than once only to find it hadn't gone away :evillaugh:

I thought Text Formations probably wasn't there at the time.

Date - not really required apart from the awards show.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Except that the word "menu" often crops up naturally in the thread.  I want to be searching for something that won't be there unless it's deliberately typed in.

Sample to show off the formatting thus far:

Types:

Effect Adjustment Filetype External Resource Plugin Pack

Active Depreciated Obsolete Unsupported Built In

Circle Text - @dpy. Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack

Type: Effect | Released: 28 Sept 2009 | Status: Active | DLL Name: CircleText.dll | Menu: Effects > Text Formations

*NEW* Clipwarp - @Red ochreDeforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Type: Effect | Released: 07 Jan 2013 | Status: Active | DLL Name: ClipWarp.dll | Menu: Effects > Tools

Clouds Plugin - @Sepcot. Creates cloud like effects using the Perlin Noise routine.

Type: Effect | Released: 13 Sept 2006 | Status: Depreciated | DLL Name: CloudEffect.dll | Menu: Effects > Render

CodeLab v1.8 - @Tom Jackson. Internal PDN tool for creating your own plugins. Code & apply your own effects on the fly. Updated and maintained by @BoltBait.

Type:  | Released:  | Status:  | DLL Name:  | Menu:

Color Aberration - @MadJik. Allows you to move separately RGB channels in % or in pixels. It could be a used to create 3D pictures.

Type:  | Released:  | Status:  | DLL Name:  | Menu:

Except that the word "menu" often crops up naturally in the thread.  I want to be searching for something that won't be there unless it's deliberately typed in.

Use braces [Keyword=Keyvalue]

There is the problem of translated submenu names. So you should add a remark that names may be different.

midoras signature.gif

I'm not going to discuss the graphical style of the index.

Instead, I'd prefer an index version that I could load into Excel or database. Neither the current HTML version nor the PDF are suitable for that. Would it be acceptable for you, EER?

I'm not going to discuss the graphical style of the index.

Instead, I'd prefer an index version that I could load into Excel or database. Neither the current HTML version nor the PDF are suitable for that. Would it be acceptable for you, EER?

The main problem with using excel and database is that not everyone has microsoft office or something that can open files created in microsoft office. I realize it is quite simple to download and install LibreOffice or OpenOffice to view said file, but it's not worth a whole program just to open a file.

In other words, that may be useful, but it would only be useful to a small group of people, so it isn't exactly an effective application of time...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There is the problem of translated submenu names. So you should add a remark that names may be different.

Good idea.

Sorry, this is not going to happen.  The source is not available except in the formats I publish.  There should be no reason you would need to load the data into Excel - except if you were reformatting it in some way in order to republish it.  I can imagine dozens of reformatted Plugin Indexes popping up all over the Internet :(  Imagine the malware that could be installed from bogus links.

If someone has a genuine reason to look at the source I'm willing to discuss it - privately - as I did in helping @jxp with his website: http://freespace.virgin.net/jxp.72/

There should be no reason you would need to load the data into Excel - except if you were reformatting it in some way in order to republish it.

I understand your concerns about "unauthorized indexes". But data that can be loaded into Excel (e.g. CVS) can be filtered, sorted, I can add my own notes to them etc.

And most importantly, if a new version of the index is published, I can easily identify the changes without needing to read the whole index again, and also refer to my own notes to the older plugins I've written earlier. I know, every month you point out the new plugins, but I don't check for the new plugins every month, and every time I do, it always takes me lot of time.

The information is provided alphabetically & by-author - as well as the filetypes are listed.  How else you do wish to filter or sort the information?

And most importantly, if a new version of the index is published,

When a new version is published....  The Plugin Index is updated on the first of each month.  New entries are flagged as such in the index and noted in the thread.  As a new feature I'll be adding the release date to the information provided.

I can easily identify the changes without needing to read the whole index again, and also refer to my own notes to the older plugins I've written earlier. I know, every month you point out the new plugins, but I don't check for the new plugins every month, and every time I do, it always takes me lot of time.

It takes you a lot of time to scan a 12 page pdf for new entries or read the latest post in the thread?  It's going to take a lot longer than that to import a file to Excel and identify changes.

It takes you a lot of time to scan a 12 page pdf for new entries or read the latest post in the thread?

I'd already answered this question before you asked it. If I check the changes every month, it would be quick. But as I do that only once in a time, I would miss all the updates from previous months (but the last one).

Never mind, pointless discussion, as you're decided.

Yes I am decided (as I also said :) ).

Having decided, I am also willing to discuss, argue if necessary, and listen. That is the point of this thread. I've already got some great feedback and ideas.

Don't be downcast because you have not got your request. You got to ask and I appreciate your input.