TrevorOutlaw

Trevor's Gallery - Pixel Stretch inspired by Joe Cavazos

Another Inception-style photomanipulation.  Finally figured out to achieve this effect within PDN and it was easier than I thought.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

That's a bit mind-bending @TrevorOutlaw.  :star:  Nice job, my head is still tilting... 🤪

Here are the steps.  First, I duplicated the original layer, flipped it horizontally, rotated it 90 degree, and moved it until it lined up with bottom and right side.

inception-bend-how-2.png

Then, on a new layer, I drew a right angle triangle and clicked outside the triangle, went to the duplicated/rotated layer and deleted.

inception-bend-how.png

The result is what you see on page 1.

Here's another example.

inception-bend-2.png

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, lynxster4 said:

Now I have claustrophobia!

I get such a kick out of this.  😂

9 hours ago, Seerose said:

I find this very good and super idea. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Thank you very much.

----

Looking again at the steps outlined above, I realized I completely blundered the step involving the right-angle triangle.  Serves me right for not using a filled right-angle triangle.  Nonetheless, pulling off the Inception-style manipulation was entirely possible in PDN.

Tried a different approach after watching a YouTube video.  I think I'll like to start dabbling more in typography manipulations from now on.

Whoops, forgot to include the stock used.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, TrevorOutlaw said:

Tried a different approach after watching a YouTube video.  I think I'll like to start dabbling more in typography manipulations from now on.

Whoops, forgot to include the stock used.

WOW!

• Like 1

Thanks, ladies, for your comments.

Just tried to create a light bulb with PDN.  I have to admit it is tricky to get the transparency and I am open to suggestion on how to achieve glassiness ( @Pixey would love to pick your brains on this one).

• Like 1

I think light bulbs are hard ... I was trying but then I realised getting almost full transparency but still getting the look is more difficult than I thought.

You're not really a million miles away I don't think.  Some soft white brushing and blurring, Overlay may help to build up the illusion of.  Which I think is the secret of anything PDN and glass - the illusion of@MJW's Hour Glass springs to mind as top glass, and would work well as a bulb ?   Personally I'd really tone down the contact wire, it seems to not 'belong' if you know what I mean ?

This was made using Object Rounder  and Texture Shader but think I went the wrong way and should have used S3D and it's transparency options, and then built it up like I said above,  I don't think mine will ever look right

light-bulb.png

The BOLD piece is a great piece.  The colours really suit it

• Like 1

@welshblue Many thanks for your tips and suggestions.  Agreed, light bulbs are the hardest to get.  I did use Texture Smoother as a base and worked from there.  I used a lot of Gaussian blur and BoltBait's Transparency plugin.  I used your screw tutorial for the light bulb socket.  Agreed that the wires looked out of place and doesn't quite mesh with the image.  Thanks for the compliment on BOLD.

-------------------

Edit: Added Apple Aquarium on the first page. Was inspired by a Photoshop tutorial and decided to try my hand.  The koi fish being bigger than the lady swimming and the natural stem are intended as a tongue-in-cheek.  Self-critic...not happy with the shadows on the bottom of the apple.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1

Haven't posted in a good while, but today as I was puttering around the net, came across a nifty pixel stretch speed art by Joe Cavazos at YouTube, I thought I would give it a shot and see if it was achievable in PDN.  Tl;dr version - it is possible.

Ballerina stock.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Haven't posted in a good while, but today as I was puttering around the net, came across a nifty pixel stretch speed art by Joe Cavazos at YouTube, I thought I would give it a shot and see if it was achievable in PDN.  Tl;dr version - it is possible.

Ballerina stock.

Where's the pixel stretch in that image?

By the way, you can do arbitrary pixel stretching with degradation/streak filter in gmic i.e at an angle or even blend between two points. The mask would be a single color.

Edited by Reptillian

6 hours ago, Reptillian said:

Where's the pixel stretch in that image?

Look behind the ballerina.  I did not use g'mic at all.  The only plug-in, after BoltBait's Alpha to Grey and Alpha Mask, used was Madjik's Polar Transformation plugin.

• Like 1

After looking at Joe Cavazo's work you've done a great job of emulating it. 

It's an interesting art style and you've done it justice.  Blends and flows nicely

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, lynxster4 said:

Oh, I really love that @TrevorOutlaw!! <3

The shades of cream and brown really compliment the image!

Wonderful job!  :rainbow:  :)

On 10/27/2019 at 4:33 AM, welshblue said:

After looking at Joe Cavazo's work you've done a great job of emulating it. 

It's an interesting art style and you've done it justice.  Blends and flows nicely

On 10/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, Pixey said:

A very lovely image @TrevorOutlaw the colors are perfect :)

Thank you all!  Continuing with more pixel stretch style.  When I watched another Joe Cavazos' speed art, I wanted to see if I could create a "wraparound" and it is possible using Madjik's Sine Wave distortion plugin and Pyrochild's Grid Wrap plugin.

Stock used: dancer and dove.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 3