Trevor's Gallery - The Sandbox - Hard Surface Model Practice

TrevorOutlaw

It has been several months since I have posted something new.

First, for those who have commented on "The Call," I am surprised none of you saw a person that was standing inside the person.  When I saw that stock, I knew where I wanted to go, and hence, "The Call."  It was the person inside a cave issuing a call to the man with the glasses.

@welshblue's Dragon Eye inspired me to go back to my root and I present an orb on page 1.  I used @dpy Circle Text plugin to make the jewel pattern, mirror over line (left half over right half, and then top half over bottom half),  and @dpy's Metallize (still one of my favorite plugins).  The background was created by going crazy with two colors gradient set to difference mode (an adaption from one of Photoshop's million tutorials).  Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Lovely image @TrevorOutlaw!  <3  Great 'metal' work and the choice of blues.  A home run!  💥

• Like 1

<3 @TrevorOutlaw!

"Orb1" your neue creations are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us! :cake: :coffee:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

There's something very calming about teal blue

Indeed, according to color psychology, blue invoke a sense of calmness.  It is probably why most of my art work, including photo manipulation are either warm or cool, depending on what I am aiming for.  When I use Gradient Mapping, I almost default to orange-to-purple scheme, and overlay it at the final stage because I like how it create an ethereal, fantasy feel to it.

I think I've only ever used Metallize a handful of times

Metallize is basically Curves on steroid and very useful, for me at least, in making object appear metal.  I would love to master your metal work technique you use in your artwork.

Congrats on the USA women and the World Cup

Here's the thing, man.  I have not watched one second of the World Cup, and in my unpopular opinion, it is vastly overrated.  More and more, I am pulling away from professional sports as they come across as never-ending divas.  With that said, there is something to be said about the USWNT winning its fourth Cup, and being the standard bearer for women around the world, and I believe I have read that Europe is now focusing their effort to bring professional women club up to par.  Now, if the USMNT would get up to their European and Brazilian counterparts, then they won't be a laughing stock anymore.  Unfortunately, the power-that-be successfully ran off Jurgen who was trying to rebuild the pipeline to the men national team to be on equal footing as say the Barclay League.  I think the tides are shifting in favor of soccer (to use American parlay) because more parents are becoming concerned with concussion syndrome from repeated violent blows to the head in football (using American parlay again).  I would not be surprised if the next decade see America reaching prominence to be on par with Europe and Brazil.  Right now, in America, football is king, followed by baseball, basketball, and then hockey.  Soccer is becoming more popular thanks to the success of Major League Soccer that is trading with football clubs like Chelsea, Manchester United, etc.

19 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Great 'metal' work and the choice of blues.  A home run!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Seerose said:

"Orb1" your neue creations are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Thank you!

Your new Orb is really cool-looking @TrevorOutlaw<3  The metal is really outstanding and there's a sense of 'flow' about it. :)

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, TrevorOutlaw said:

Another orb on page 1 - only two stock photos were used in this one - fractal and landscape.  The rest, however, all Paint.NET.

That is some stunning work!

• Like 1

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

That's out-of-this-worldly @TrevorOutlaw  <3   Mysterious with a bit of fear thrown in.

Don't think I'd want to be that guy...a long hallway with a door at the end....😨

Great job! The coloring makes it. :)

<3 @TrevorOutlaw!

Quite simple but with a big effect. Thank you for sharing this with us! :cake: :coffee:

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

That's a bit mind-bending @TrevorOutlaw.  :star:  Nice job, my head is still tilting... 🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

That's a bit mind-bending @TrevorOutlaw.  :star:  Nice job, my head is still tilting... 🤪

Here are the steps.  First, I duplicated the original layer, flipped it horizontally, rotated it 90 degree, and moved it until it lined up with bottom and right side.

inception-bend-how-2.png

Then, on a new layer, I drew a right angle triangle and clicked outside the triangle, went to the duplicated/rotated layer and deleted.

inception-bend-how.png

The result is what you see on page 1.

Here's another example.

inception-bend-2.png

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

WOW!  Now I have claustrophobia!  😨  That is pretty cool technique @TrevorOutlaw  Thanks for sharing!  :)

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, lynxster4 said:

Now I have claustrophobia!

I get such a kick out of this.  😂

9 hours ago, Seerose said:

I find this very good and super idea. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Thank you very much.

----

Looking again at the steps outlined above, I realized I completely blundered the step involving the right-angle triangle.  Serves me right for not using a filled right-angle triangle.  Nonetheless, pulling off the Inception-style manipulation was entirely possible in PDN.

<3 @TrevorOutlaw!

Wonderful presentation! Thank you for sharing your result and for video link.  :cake: :coffee:

Edited by Seerose
  • Like 1

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

On 8/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, TrevorOutlaw said:

Tried a different approach after watching a YouTube video.  I think I'll like to start dabbling more in typography manipulations from now on.

Whoops, forgot to include the stock used.

WOW!

• Like 1

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

Thanks, ladies, for your comments.

Just tried to create a light bulb with PDN.  I have to admit it is tricky to get the transparency and I am open to suggestion on how to achieve glassiness ( @Pixey would love to pick your brains on this one).

• Like 1

@welshblue Many thanks for your tips and suggestions.  Agreed, light bulbs are the hardest to get.  I did use Texture Smoother as a base and worked from there.  I used a lot of Gaussian blur and BoltBait's Transparency plugin.  I used your screw tutorial for the light bulb socket.  Agreed that the wires looked out of place and doesn't quite mesh with the image.  Thanks for the compliment on BOLD.

-------------------

Edit: Added Apple Aquarium on the first page. Was inspired by a Photoshop tutorial and decided to try my hand.  The koi fish being bigger than the lady swimming and the natural stem are intended as a tongue-in-cheek.  Self-critic...not happy with the shadows on the bottom of the apple.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1