Sign in to follow this  
AGJM

Change, not Chains

Barrack Obama,

In 2008, you promised "Change".

I must say that the mistake may be excusable due to the condition of our education systems, but putting us in "Chains" is not the same thing. However similar they may sound, chains are not change - unless, of course, you meant "Change" in a sense where anything you did would be fulfilling that promise, but I believe you must have meant positive change - that's what the voters seemed to think. Anyhow, we are now stuck in chains brought along by you, with an utter lack of change in our pockets to buy our way out. We are stuck, as a nation, and we cannot get out if we continue on like this. Give us real change, and get us on track to get out of debt. Do whatever it takes - please. We don't want this - we want out.

-Andrew MacGillivray

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/change-not-chains/XlSRXj73

I figured it was time for a bipartisan view to be voiced on the petitions site.  Anyone who agrees (and lives in America), please sign the petition.  Voice your thoughts on my voiced thoughts here, but remember that it's all opinion.

Or perhaps his promise for change was a promise for pocket change...

...nvm.

Honestly, I find no reason to believe any president can produce the change that will solve the economical crisis. Most people believe the president has the power to carry out all the things he promises in his campaign, but if you take any course on US government, the president doesn't have as much power as so many people seem to think. No matter what the president does as far as the economy goes, it has to be approved by the other branches in order to take effect.

If the president is to bring any change, the House and the Senate are going to need to comply. Of course, nobody can agree on what the right course of action is, so nothing gets done and the president takes the blame.

• Upvote 3

Or perhaps his promise for change was a promise for pocket change...

...nvm.

Honestly, I find no reason to believe any president can produce the change that will solve the economical crisis. Most people believe the president has the power to carry out all the things he promises in his campaign, but if you take any course on US government, the president doesn't have as much power as so many people seem to think. No matter what the president does as far as the economy goes, it has to be approved by the other branches in order to take effect.

If the president is to bring any change, the House and the Senate are going to need to comply. Of course, nobody can agree on what the right course of action is, so nothing gets done and the president takes the blame.

I know, I've taken civics class.  A highschool level civics class, at least.  The thing is, the Petitions are read by the administration. It was directed towards the Obama Administration - they are the ones that read it if it gets 25,000 signs, not Obama himself.  I know.  The thing was supposed to sound sort of clever and sensational - both of which would likely bring more signatures if it ever did get past the 150 signs it needs to go public. And the President of the United States of America has the power of the media - his will is what the senators and congressmen of his party will feel obliged to encourage.  The three branches are one - and the president, at the head of it, is the leader.  He can't pass a new law on his own or any of that stuff, I know, but if he tries to get us going in the right direction - or simply leads his party towards the direction of getting out - and the media catches it, they will pressure all of the congressmen and senators and such to try to help.  This has a 0% chance of reaching them, but its just food for thought.  I knew that when I wrote it - I'm just hoping that there will be more signatures on there than mine alone.  I'm interested in seeing who else feels as I do.

Anyways, my mind seems to work on a different track than yours.  But I'm not stupid, and I know how the government works (when I read your comment, I felt as if you were accusing me of not understanding my government.  Which I don't particularly appreciate, though I do appreciate that you did go on to try to inform me about it.).  As I said in my original post, this is all opinion on what should be the focus of our current politicians.  

Again, as a second thought on your comment, of course no one president will change the economical crisis.  No one man will change it.  The president could, however, inspire the changes to get our current politicians to focus in the direction of getting out of debt.

I really don't appreciate the tone of your comment...  I'm not through school, and I have much to learn, but I still know quite a bit.  Just let me voice my opinion in my little corner over hear - you can say you don't agree, I'm fine with that, but don't call me stupid.  

Good point, though.  I just felt as if it was an insult - I agree entirely, but I just don't like it when others assume that I don't know things.  

I felt as if you were accusing me of not understanding my government

Sorry. I was just voicing my opinion on discussions about the president in general.

I thought, since this is an opinion-based thread, I could state my own opinion as well...why would you post it anywhere otherwise?

On a more serious note, I had no intention of insulting anyone, though I can see why it may have offended you. If anything, though, that was a big fat insult thrown at the US in general. My sincerest of apologies.

PS I never once called you stupid, or even implied such a thing. Please don't assume that I think anyone is stupid, because if I thought someone were stupid, I'd say so. Otherwise, I'm merely disagreeing or pointing out a possible alternative explanation. I'm not through with education myself, so I have no right to be telling people they are uneducated.

Sorry. I was just voicing my opinion on discussions about the president in general.

I thought, since this is an opinion-based thread, I could state my own opinion as well...why would you post it anywhere otherwise?

On a more serious note, I had no intention of insulting anyone, though I can see why it may have offended you. If anything, though, that was a big fat insult thrown at the US in general. My sincerest of apologies.

PS I never once called you stupid, or even implied such a thing. Please don't assume that I think anyone is stupid, because if I thought someone were stupid, I'd say so. Otherwise, I'm merely disagreeing or pointing out a possible alternative explanation. I'm not through with education myself, so I have no right to be telling people they are uneducated.

I really don't appreciate the tone of your comment...  I'm not through school, and I have much to learn, but I still know quite a bit.  Just let me voice my opinion in my little corner over hear - you can say you don't agree, I'm fine with that, but don't call me stupid.  

I learned an important lesson, way-back-when, that it was never really a good idea to talk (especially in a Pub) about Religion or Politics.  It's so fraught with angst that it's just not worth it - Truce guys :smile: I hope!

Like I said, I never once even implied that AGJM was ignorant. According to a statistic given in my government class, the majority of Americans overestimate the president's influence. That's all I was discussing.

If you're going to be offended at every person who disagrees with you, I can tell you right now you will not get very far in life. That's not an insult either--just a suggestion.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. If not, well...there's nothing more for me to say except, again, I apologize if you felt offended by my opinion.

God Bless,

pdnnoob over and out

From my point of view I did not see where pdnnoob insulted AGJM at all,he was just commenting his view on the situation in government. He is absolutely right also. The President does not have the power that all think he has and does always take the blame,no matter who is in office. We have a wide variety of opinions in this country making it very hard to get anything passed in congress so the change we all want may not be the change that others want or the change we ever get. 

If you really want a first hand view of how government and voters work,run for an office in your home town or city. I have held many offices in local government over the years and it is a small scale of how big government works but none the less the same thing. It is very enlightening and rewarding at times while also frustrating and infuriating at other times. One thing for sure is that it will give you a valuable insight into how government works and I recommend all give it a try. Change is a hard thing to sell to the American voters and will make you throw your hands up quite a bit,lol.

Like I said, I never once even implied that AGJM was ignorant. According to a statistic given in my government class, the majority of Americans overestimate the president's influence. That's all I was discussing.

If you're going to be offended at every person who disagrees with you, I can tell you right now you will not get very far in life. That's not an insult either--just a suggestion.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. If not, well...there's nothing more for me to say except, again, I apologize if you felt offended by my opinion.

God Bless,

pdnnoob over and out

I didn't care that you disagreed, I cared that you thought I didn't know the limit of the president's power.  Don't twist anything, please.  

Anyways, did I mention that I already had a very in-depth civics class, Skullbonz?  

Don't twist anything, please.  

He's not.  He was trying to offer the dove of peace if anything (@ least that's how I read it)

The whole world is in recession ... 3 big companies have gone into administration this month here in the UK ... and loads the past 2 years.  

Even some countries have had to be bailed out

... maybe you shouldn't have believed what a politician says ?  They all promise the earth then are too busy watching their own backs to care about ours

He's not.  He was trying to offer the dove of peace if anything (@ least that's how I read it)

The whole world is in recession ... 3 big companies have gone into administration this month here in the UK ... and loads the past 2 years.  

Even some countries have had to be bailed out

... maybe you shouldn't have believed what a politician says ?  They all promise the earth then are too busy watching their own backs to care about ours

I'm not a Democrat.  I didn't want Obama, and I didn't expect him to fulfill any of his promises.