Peter Dow's Tessellated I / H & other images

Peter Dow

Newbie here. I joined to show you this below. It's not the first image I have created using Paint.NET but it is maybe the first image that's more art for art's sake than any of my previous images which I would tend to post in forums specific to the purpose of the image. I'm not intending to post "other images" right away but I can see that this forum is organised one topic per image author so this is where I am supposed to post all my images in future, right?

tessellatedi500.jpg

View a larger scale version of Tessellated I

A tessellation of a capital "I" shape employing the colours of the spectrum which I created using Paint.NET the free image and photo editing software which runs on Windows.

The "I" Shape.

The "I" shape is square in proportions, with the vertical column one third the width of the square by design. The thickness of the base and top of the "I" are the same thickness and consequently have to be one quarter of the height of the square to tessellate in this precise fashion. The shape of the "I" I arrived at during consideration of one of my engineering design projects.

The Colours.

My use of the colours of the spectrum, half of the "I"s Red-Orange-Yellow and the other half Green-Blue-Purple, and the black lines to define the outline of the "I"s was directly inspired from a work of art I found on DeviantArt website, named "Colorful Tessellation" by ~TheShadowRider123, Cori Davis of the United States of America. This work of art is dedicated to Cori with my thanks for the inspiration her work gave me.

Using Paint.NET I was able to add what I would describe as a "metallic texture" to the colours, although the program function I used is called "Effects - Distort - Dent" by Paint.NET's menus.

This version of the work has my own watermark added.

66% saturation -

tessellatedi66sat500.jpg

H orientation

tessellatedh500.jpg

Hmmm...I like it it. Tessellations always fascinated me. I like your choice of the different colors. So vibrant! Welcome aboard! ;) Oh, and by the way, I suggest you downloading the plugins to see what more Paint.NET can do.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Hmmm...I like it.

Thanks Helen.

Tessellations always fascinated me.

Well from my engineer's point of view, tessellations have their uses, from paving stones to the bees' honeycomb.

This is useful.

Myers-US.jpg

Whereas the work of the artist M C Esher features more purely artistic tessellations.

My fascination is more with women but that would be for reproduction rather than tessellation.

I like your choice of the different colors.

Well I credited Cori Davis for the concept of the colouring scheme. I had a few choices when creating the image in terms of which spectrum image to start from and which portions of the selected spectrum image to condense using Paint.NET. For example, the image I started from had a much wider red band and I had to change the relative sizes of some of the spectrum bands to achieve the result.

So vibrant!

Well the vibrant colours will not be to everyone's taste so I have posted a 66% colour saturated version as well.

Welcome aboard! ;)

Thanks very much. Can you point me in the direction of the single ladies' cabins?  <3

Oh, and by the way, I suggest you downloading the plugins to see what more Paint.NET can do.

Well what plug-in, if any, would I need to achieve the shading effect you achieved with your tiles here? I am not asking about your glossy see-through tap/faucet - that's way beyond what I need to do - but the way you have coloured and light-shaded your tiles would be nice to able to do, so that I could perhaps create some "Tessellated I / H" images simulating being engineered from different tiling materials, ceramic, steel etc.

Edited by Peter Dow

The plug-in is Tile Reflection ... http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=6322 

Interesting but MadJik's Tile Reflection plug-in looks to be limited to an X-Y control over the tile shape, allowing square, rectangular, rhombus and rhomboid tiles, but not able to accept an arbitrary tessellating tile shape, such as my "I" / "H" shape.

TilesXL7.jpg

I agree with Helen that tessellations are intriguing.  Great colours going on.  I love interlocking images

OK.

That does look interesting and look BoltBait has given a lettering example.

BevelSelectionUI.png

Yes that looks promising for standard beveled "I" / "H" shapes though it doesn't seem to offer a gradual lighting and colouring change across-the-wall, meaning each tile is coloured and lighted differently as Helen has in her image and the Tile Reflection can do for its wall of tiles.

tests.jpg

Hmmm. Perhaps I will PM MadJik and BoltBait with a link to this topic to see if either or both of them can suggest an approach for my "I" / "H" shaped tiles.

Welcme to the forums ... and yep, one gallery per person ;)

Thanks very much welshblue and understood.

Edited by Peter Dow

Thank you for your PM !

My version of the tile plugin is just playing with more parameters than the original. It is a true x,y calculation without any constraint form. In fact it's like a mix of two curves seen from above.

I'm really not able (in skill and in time) to think about your suggestion.

BTW if you want me to add I and H to the shape plugin : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=23498
it is easy, just ask !

Also you could try the plugin "fill with" to paint the canvas this a picture.

Thank you for your PM !

Well thank you for your reply post MadJik!

My version of the tile plugin is just playing with more parameters than the original. It is a true x,y calculation without any constraint form. In fact it's like a mix of two curves seen from above.

I'm really not able (in skill and in time) to think about your suggestion.

Ah well, not to worry.

BTW if you want me to add I and H to the shape plugin : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=23498

it is easy, just ask !

I'll bear your offer in mind but I don't need that function for now.

Also you could try the plugin "fill with" to paint the canvas this a picture.

I note that you did not provide a link for the "fill with" plugin you suggest.

I found the Plugin Index topic.

There I found listed -

Fill from Clipboard - YellowAfterlife

Fills the layer (or selection) with tiled texture from the clipboard. 

Photo Flood Fill - pleska

Takes an image and "flood-fill" it into the selection region, repeating it over and over. 

Tile Fill Addin - dan9298

Fills the current image with a tiled version of another image (held in the clipboard). 

So perhaps you meant one of those? Which one?

I presume these "fill with" plugins tile using an identical image each time? This could speed up producing an image of the kind I have already produced, where the tiles are identical, but I presume again none of those "fill with" plugins offer a way to differently colour and light different tiles as the Tiles Reflection plugin does?

This may be an image processing task too far for Paint.NET plugins at present?

Edited by Peter Dow

Photo Flood Fill - pleska

Takes an image and "flood-fill" it into the selection region, repeating it over and over. 

This is the one I thought about...

No plugin will do what you could have in mind! But with your mind you could use the existing capabilities of Paint.net and its plugins to achieve what you are looking for.

You could draw any H/I checkers (or some Escher lezar) and use the layers to give the colours variation...

This is the one I thought about...

Downloaded, unzipped, into Paint.NET/Effects folder, relaunched, Effects -> Photo Flood Fill 

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  

Thanks very much - that will come in very handy!

No plugin will do what you could have in mind! But with your mind you could use the existing capabilities of Paint.net and its plugins to achieve what you are looking for.

You could draw any H/I checkers (or some Escher lezar) and use the layers to give the colours variation...

I suppose if I draw surfaces in different layers according to the angle the surface faces at, it'll be a lot easier to apply some kind of broadbrush colour effect to simulate lighting effects? Hmm. Well that is something to think about.

While you are here MadJik and since you are French, do you know of (and have you ever used) the free software 3D CAD package, "DraftSight" by Dassault Systemes, a French company I believe?

I have used DraftSight before for engineering design and it has got a 3D rendering capability though I've not used it much so I don't know precisely what its best performance is capable of in terms of lighting effects. This is another approach I am considering.

Perhaps using both packages, DraftSight and Paint.NET I could achieve good results, eventually?

Edited by Peter Dow