Rectangle Selection tool keep deselecting on m-button release

Hi

I'm experiencing a strange issue in PDN and I'm wondering whether it is a bug or not.

The issue is occurs when I use the Rectangle Selection tool to drag a rectangle, because the very instant I release the mouse button the selection becomes deselected - I suspect that PDN treat the mouse button release as another click on the mouse button which do in fact deselect the selection.

The problem sometimes start after I have used the PDN for a while, but can also occur when I start to use PDN.

The Rectangle Selection tool is the only tool which has this odd behavior as I don't have any issues which the rest of the tools.

I'm pretty sure this problem started when I downloaded the latest version v3.5.10

I have never experienced this behavior in any other versions of PDN.

Has any of you experienced similar behavior ?

I've never experienced this behavior before. Are your drivers current? Are you using wireless? If so, do you have fresh batteries? Are you on a laptop? If so, maybe your hand is is grazing the touchpad. I know my laptop's touchpad is super sensitive.

I don't know of these are your problems or not but I'm just pointing out some things you may take a look at since you've not already said what you've checked.

Hi Jim100361

Well, driver wise then I haven't really thought of this and whether or not this could be the issue.

I'm using a desktop and a mouse with a cord, so this sorta rules any laptop/mouse battery issues out.

Maybe the problem lies with my trusty old mouse - maby I should start thinking about replacing it.

Anyway, thank you for replying :)

Hello Painterman,

Check that the selection mode is not set to subtract.

That produces the behaviour described (something I'm always forgetting!).

Hope that helps.

Hi

Thank you for your answer - I have just checked and made sure that the selection mode is set to the default which is 'Replace'.

After that I did quite a few attempts at 'provoking' the Rectangle Selection tool to deselect and I was successful a few times (if one can call that a success...).

Whether or not this is a bug I'm not sure of, right now I'll blame it on my old mouse - until I hear from other users besides you, as I think that it is only fair to a program which I haven't had any problems with that I can remember of.

This always happens when my mouse is wearing out. The left-click just stops working as well and spuriously doesn't realize you're still holding the button down. Or it'll register 2 quick clicks instead of 1 click-and-drag. Or 0 clicks instead of 1. etc. etc.

So I just buy a new one.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This always happens when my mouse is wearing out. The left-click just stops working as well and spuriously doesn't realize you're still holding the button down. Or it'll register 2 quick clicks instead of 1 click-and-drag. Or 0 clicks instead of 1. etc. etc.

So I just buy a new one.

Hi Rick

Thank you for answering.

I think you're right, so I'll order a new mouse.