Is Paint as good as Photoshop CS?

SEA

I'm new to designing and want working on some professional pics with Photoshop type editing. I have a friend who does my art work and he uses CS but it is $$$ and all.

All I want is to do some cool things right? :lol:

So... is there any designs that fellow Paint users can show me like stuff for CD's and websites perhaps?

Also, what about Tutorials? Anyone in particular or just start from the beginning?

Thanks!

SEA

Edited by SEA

Here's one of my favorites I've seen recently by SAND33P:

2du00ua.png

Rick might say that "if you have photoshop, then by all means use it," but personally, I use paint.net in place of photoshop (I have a copy of CS5)

I think the two have their separate strengths and which one you use really depends on what you are using them for.

For example, a large number of 3D text tutorials I see for photoshop say "bring in 3D text from <some other program>." As for me, I don't have those other programs; but fortunately, I have paint.net, so I just make the 3D text in paint.net and balance is, yet again, restored to the force.

Edited by pdnnoob
  • Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Here's one of my favorites I've seen recently by SAND33P:

2du00ua.png

Rick might say that "if you have photoshop, then by all means use it," but personally, I use paint.net in place of photoshop (I have a copy of CS5)

I think the two have their separate strengths and which one you use really depends on what you are using them for.

For example, a large number of 3D text tutorials I see for photoshop say "bring in 3D text from <some other program>." As for me, I don't have those other programs; but fortunately, I have paint.net, so I just make the 3D text in paint.net and balance is, yet again, restored to the force.

Is it pretty easy to make 3D? I had a pic of a city and I wanted the name of the CD in like large 3D glass like letters on the front etc. :)

Hey there SEA. Welcome!

If you wish to see some of the power of Paint.NET, click on Welshblue's gallery link in the post immediately above this one ;)

To tell you the truth, it's a matter of opinion. I believe that what can be done in PS can be done in Paint.NET. I use PS and I think that a lot of it is a copy of PowerPoint anyway. I use PS to resize my images and PDN to do almost everything else along with another drawing software that I definitely prefer over PS.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Greetings SEA,

Adobe Photoshop is a very powerful photo editing and graphic design software tool, but most people don't need it. I have used Corel Draw, Microsoft Expression, Photoshop, PowerPoint and others. Paint.Net is great for most needs and it is free. I use all of the software that I mentioned above and sometimes within the same project, but I have used Paint.net about 70% of the time on art projects this year. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are superior graphics apps, but the cost is superior also. As an art teacher I was able to get CS5 for 85% off and it was still expensive.

A link to some of my works:

http://apmauldin.com/Portfolio.html

Edited by HyReZ

I have tried PS and I also have GIMP which I think is the nearest you will get to a free photoshop (sorry to those people who think otherwise but it`s true) . However I always return to PDN as it is so user friendly and there is nothing PS (or GIMP) can do that PDN can`t with the addition of a few carefully selected plug ins. And 3D text is much easier to do in PDN than either of the other two. You might need to think carefully about how you are going to achieve a particular PS effect but it just helps you to learn more about PDN. I regularly do PS tutorials in PDN and sometimes get a better result than in the tut.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thanks Guys! I'll definitely check out the "tutes" and all the cool graphics from fellow Paint cats for sure! :D

I also checked into GIMP. Would GIMP be good to use along with Paint or can Paint just handle it all?

Edited by SEA

Use Gimp for the custom brushes. Other than that, you can find a paint.net plugin for just about everything Gimp can do.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

To tell you the truth, it's a matter of opinion. I believe that what can be done in PS can be done in Paint.NET. I use PS and I think that a lot of it is a copy of PowerPoint anyway. I use PS to resize my images and PDN to do almost everything else along with another drawing software that I definitely prefer over PS.

What is the name of the other drawing software that you prefer (if I may ask) :)

I use PS and I think that a lot of it is a copy of PowerPoint anyway.

Is powerpoint just a presentation / slideshow kind of thing? I didn't realise you could do more with it. I should give it a try :)

BREtKQW.png

@Drew: I used PowerPoint 97 extensively and I don't think people would believe me if they saw what I created there. With the new versions, it's much easier to use and a lot more can be done with it. It's VERY similar to PS in so many way especially effects and the letters/font choices like glows and shadows, etc. You should definitely give it a try.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

I agree with Helen,

Most people don't realize the power or Power Point. It doe's vectors, it doess layers, and you know it doe's slideshows. I still use Power Point 2000. If you have video capture software running in the background you can save the finished slide shows and use them as titles and credits for video productions. Power Point is a sleeper that most people have not discovered its full potential.

*I learned that in Power Point 2010 and higher, that there is the option to save the presentation as a .wmv file.

Edited by HyReZ

I have powerpoint as part of the office 2007 suite, but after having a little look around it, I see no layers or means to edit a photo, unless I'm looking in the wrong place :lol:

BREtKQW.png

I'm confused - same as DrewDale. (Powerpoint also part of office 2007).

Are the U.S and U.K versions of Powerpoint different? - or am I overlooking the obvious?

I can see plenty of text effects, but no layers.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg