Sign in to follow this  
OddLlama

Image Battles

I guess I'll finish this one off then :)

Chimay: Lovely composition. The little panels give it the look of frosted glass, and the colors are just right for the image.  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Dyn: Wow. The shine on that shield is amazing. Would be rather foreboding to have to face the guy carrying that in battle.  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

The standings are:

Dyn:  :star: x18

Chimay:  :star: x17

Dyn is the winner!

And in the words of our good buddy Scooter, Next!   :biggrin: 

XIA !

Hey 83932c0a.gif

Now's the time brother, to show 'em what you got----Go For It!

Sorry for getting off topic and side sidetackd_zps43771168.gif tracked  

Two great images!  Where to start....

NiteNurse79:  It's a bit spooky (in a good way).  Like an Escher ;)  I like the way it has this whole underground altered/distorted time theme.  I can't help thinking - "what kind of a world has a clock like that?".  I would like the hands to be less blurred at the extremities.

Daniels:  You been looking in my inbox?  (TR and I have been collaborating on a plugin to make planets ;) ).  Unfortunately this means I'm going to be harsh - relatively speaking :lol:  I think the clouds need work.  They are too uniform IMHO.  Neither do I feel they should overlap the planet edge.  At this scale they should be clipped to the same edge.  I AM liking your land texture though.  Great job on that and the nebula.

NiteNurse79  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  = 5

Daniels :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  = 4

OH Boy!  Two great images. I can only stand (well sitting now) in awe of the talent.

I like both for totally separate reasons:

Daniels your very clever use of my home planet creates a warm spot on my anatomyfahr10.gif.    I too, feel the clouds -though a great idea- miss the mark compared to the quality of the rest of your work. The light and shadow of the planet is impressive in both contrast and colors (colours) and the  “terminator” is interesting in its location and shape.

NiteNurse79  this is quite a tour de force.  An everyday object  re-invented into a stylistic shape that moves the viewer into a different vantage point.  My initial reaction was similar to EER's re: the hands. But then I began to "see" a possibility, that if the  crystal (no common glass or plastic here) were a dome shape from the end of the hands up to the center and was flatter from the end of the hands to the surround, then the end of the hands would be 'blurry" from distortion by the crystal....  (boy, that is a stretch to the laws of credibility getsmileyCAGO35YW.gif

Blathering aside, my stars are: NiteNurse79   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:  = 5; Daniels  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:  = 4  

Current Totals :

NiteNurse79   :star:  's  = 10

Daniels           :star:  's  =   8

My first time commenting on one of these so I'll give my 2-cents.

@Daniels: Space wins. Space always wins.

Ok realistically now, it's a nice image. I really, really like the colour and texture of the land masses but the water seems too....plain to me. The clouds are also a tad bland, but just roughening them up will fix that :)

Also, give it an atmosphere (inner and outer glow)!

+SPACE! 5 STARS

+Land Mass Colour

+Land Mass Texture

+Different Star Sizes

-Water

-Clouds

@nitenurse79: Great look to the image, very distorted and surreal. I can imagine you spent a lot of time doing the numbers and the minute-lines :) . The entire thing looks ever so slightly blurry though, but I personally think it suits the hands. I do think that the chrome area needs a rougher texture though,

+Surrealism effects works well

+Colours are great

+Blurry hands suit

+Nice reflective-like effort.

-Blurry chrome texture.

Daniels:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Nitenurse:   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Current Totals :

NiteNurse79    :star:  's  = 14

Daniels            :star:  's  =   11

I can see myself becoming the mean one which no one wants reviewing their stuff...

Edited by Drydareelin

And now for Cc4FuzzyHuggles' long feedback, plus+ my votes!

Feed Back and Thoughts.

Daniels
For my personal preferences,
– I actually like the clouds. I think they look neat.
– The land is nice, I like the coloring and the shapes are great. And although I like the edges of the land, maybe it could of used more of a 3D depth from the water. The land's texture also would of looked cool with some sort of engraved/embossed, or eroded appearance.
– For the water, beautiful coloration, I love that blue, it's very appealing. But even with the great coloration, I do feel the water is missing something. I'm not sure if some sort of wavy texture, or wavy pattern, or broad swirls would of been possible, or looked right, but I do feel anything added to the water, to enhance it's appearance, would have been a nice bonus.
– And about those stars and space background, ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! With your twinkling stars and that blue-ish colored area, your space background is just wonderful!

Over All, your planet feels rather smooth to me, which for some people that's a pretty aspect, and if that is the look you were aiming for, then I'd say you did a great job and get an A++.
However, I tend to lean more towards planets with depth and stronger bumppy, riggidy, dimply, engraved, or emobssed textures.
Either way, your planet is way better than anything I could ever do, and it is still very attractive to the eye. So I admire the work you've done with it. You have a very pleasing planet. :)

Nitenurse79
– Oh, I love it! I get a sense of classic mysteries and classic detectives from it. With the combination of the colors, shine, and the watch, I'm thinking mysteries, leather watches/pocket watches, and old classic Cadillacs. Kind of like something that might be inspired by a cool mystery book such as Sherlock Holmes or The Great Mouse Detective movie, as well as classic study rooms, like in the older versions of the game of Clue. I see a very classicy and cool feel from your picture, which makes it quite fun.
– About the slight blurring, I honestly don't know what it would look like not blurred, and I don't mind the blur. And without a comparison picture of blurred vs not blurred, I don't know which one would fit better to the “classic mysteries/detective” sense that I'm getting from it. So, I'd say it's fine, and the blur might actually be complementing the sense.

Over all, I think it turned out very neat. I really don't have much of any ideas or feed back to say about it. But for personal preferences, maybe taking the detective sense that it gives off, and running with it, could give some bonus fun to the picture.

Voting

Daniels – Cool clouds, good land shapes, I enjoyed your planet and it's blue, blue oceans, and I loved your starry background. So I give you 4 stars. :star: :star: :star: :star:

Nitenurse79 – The classic mystery and classic detective sense of your picture is something that draws me to it. The shine of the metal, the coloring, the watch, and the watch's distortion, it's like candy to my imagination for a good mystery or detective adventure. 5 stars! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Nitenurse79's  :star: 19
Daniels' Stars  :star: 15

Nitenurse79 WINS!

Great pieces of art. Thanks for particpating in this competion, and thanks for sharing your work! <3

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Congratulations to nitenurse smiley-happy096_zps8752ffdf.gif

A humble submission from the foggy desert tumble.gif

blufin_zpsaae5df69.jpg

Edited by Scooter
  • Upvote 1

I will start this round off then  :D

Thanks for the votes folks ;)

Scooter - Nice use of julia fractal ? really nice calming colours an the fish in the middle gives it some depth. I would like it more if the left side matched the right side. I would then make a great desktop wallpaper, a great image but only 4 :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:    from me (sorry)

Drew - I really do like the background, all that chrome and shadow makes it look like it is moving. I would have made the image in the picture smaller  (is it a plasmatic Chilli?) nice reflection on the bottom part though. The shine wins me over and I give you 5    :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Score is:

Scooter - 4  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Drew - 5  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

I hate deciding

Scooter - I liked the abstract of your image, the blur also makes things look like they are moving. The simple colors were a good choice, but a gradient of colors might have added to the feel of the picture. For your image, even though it's very small, my favorite part is the fishy! Love for the fishy! 4 stars :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:! :D

DrewDale - I Loved how your tiles were shiny and reflective, and your colorful vivid object is cool.

Now although I have seen better pieces of art that use shiny, reflective, vivid colors, I still can't deny that those three aspects are wonderful, and they are even more wonderful when used together, so you get 5 stars from me :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:.

New Score :

Scooter - 8 :star:

DrewDale - 10 :star:

Scooter: I really do like fractals. Infinity in a defined area? Cool! I like the motion blur on the Julia fractal you used there, it created a sense of motion and since fractals are infinite, (maybe I'm going too deep here) it seems to me as if the image is moving toward infinity. The fish is very nice, but I felt as if the 'water' that held it was a bit rushed perhaps? 4 stars from me, an overall good job Scooter! :):star: :star: :star: :star:

DrewDale: I really like the contrast used between the background and the 'plasmatic chilli'. The Glass Tile effect has been used well and the difference between light and dark is faded into well. The 'chilli' is nicely done (How'd you do that?) and again, it's a really good contrast. For that reason, 5 stars (sorry Scooter!) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Scooter: :star: x 12

DrewDale: :star: x 15

DrewDale is the winner!

Good job to both of you!

Now, as for my entry, because it must be done,

Here is Volts:

volts.png

Edited by MikeRobe

First a quick:   Thank You  for the valued input for my effort. I shall take it to heart and see what I can do to incorporate and improve. yo_zps642db12e.gif

On to todays entrys :

MikeRobe; What a intense showing,  is it metal folds seen close up? light ed cables flailing about?   Micro magnetic particles shifting around? regardless very creative and well executed. My least favorite is the right hand circular object as it is more sharply defined than the others, giving a slight feel (to me) of not belonging with the others.  OK OK I like it    :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Cc4FuzzyHuggles: I am in awe of how you melded the colors into a soft flow. The verticals give a strength to the picture keeping the "too fuzzys" at bay.   Visually the flower adds a nice touch of soft curves with hints of color keeping it "in" the picture. The center, I feel, is too bright almost like a halogen head light and works against the  rest to the picture. 

So much I like about this  :star: :star: :star: :star:

MikeRobe               :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: 5

Cc4FuzzyHuggles  :star: :star: :star: :star:    4

MikeRobe - A great metalic style texture, I really love the brushed style to what you have going on here and the whole mood of the work fits the title. I am reminded of a zoomed portion of an ultrasound. 

Cc4FuzzyHuggles - Stunning colours, really nice use of different layers to add depth to it. I think it would have worked a lot better without the flower pattern, but I do like the shine to the complete image.

For these wonderful images I award MikeRobe  :star: X4  and Cc4FuzzyHuggles  :star: X5 

So if I have my maths right, the score is now.

MikeRobe  :star: 9

Cc4FuzzyHuggles  :star: 9

Both are very good entries. Very well thought out. :) 

53ddaba73cd91_zpsa8ea0b34.gif

Surely there is one individual out there corregious enough to come in and resolve this overlong and hard fought contest by these two mighty warrio   uh  Artists.

After all these fine contestants have been sitting, forlorn and alone, in their respective garretts,003d9fb1.gif subsisting on small crumbs of moldy old bread and what moisture drips from the leaky roof. 257787b3.gif Awaiting your decision. 0bef6f24.pngsniff

Come On Good People! let's give them the reward they so richly deserve! So they can come out and once more enter our genial company .

What Say You?

VOTE for your, one correct, choice,   

I  bid you adieu, 5d245db7.gif                                       I shall return anon.   cc2959d7.gif

• Upvote 1

Analysis

MikeRobe, you have a fantastic texture. I find it very aesthetic in balance and pleasant in style. There is nothing wrong with it, but if there was more to the image in terms of complexity, it would score a higher rating from me. I rated it 3/5 because the rating can only be so high for a texture of that nature. Were it more complex (zoomed out), it would rate higher. But as I've said before, I can't give suggestions for improvement. It's just that 4/5 and 5/5 are reserved for more complex images.

Cc4FuzzyHuggles, while your image is less pleasing to my eye (in the sense that I don't have the eye for abstract art), I'm attempting to base my votes on effort and talent. After all, if somebody has a picture of a nice car with a simple effect on it vs. somebody with a less-nice drawing of a car, I'd vote for the drawing because it shows more talent. As a few others have said, the brightness is a little high on your image. The gradation is nice and I like the complexity in the images. The distortion effect is also well used. In general, I find that your image is fairly nice. Like MikeRobe, there is little left to improve on. I rated it 3/5 probably in part because I've seen way too many abstract images and I might be misjudging the effort put into it (hopefully not). I know that it's complex and it took a lot of effort, but MikeRobe's brushing effect is a formidable foe. Therefore I can only call it a truce and hasten you two along in your path towards victory.

Rating

MikeRobe: 3 stars

Cc4FuzzyHuggles: 3 stars

New Tally

MikeRobe = :star: x12

Cc4FuzzyHuggles = :star: x12

Edited by AnthonyScoffler

MikeRobe: The texture is very high quality, its simplicity brings out the metallic texture, even if it's not very complex, your pic is great.

Cc4FuzzyHuggles: This picture is simply superb. The colors are vivid, though green stands out a tad too much, and there's aliasing in the light, but everything else won me over.

Rating

MikeRobe: 3.5 stars

Cc4FuzzyHuggles: 4.5 stars

Final Tally:

MikeRobe: 15.5 :star:

Cc4FuzzyHuggles: 16.5 :star:

Congrats to Fuzzy for winning! Great job, both of you!

Well, this is what I'll bring to the table:

http://star-yoshi.deviantart.com/art/Paper-Mario-Gorgeous-Steak-HQ-Render-596547179

StarYoshi, wow, what a fun and tasty picture! I really like the colors and textures and how the different pieces and/or parts of the picture complement each other.

Nai, what a lovely picture of ice, fruit, and a shiny reflection. My eyes love seeing pictures as nice as yours.

Normally, I would choose a pretty shiny picture, however, I think the fun cartoony food picture was done very well. So, my vote goes to StarYoshi!

Nai, :star: :star: :star: :star: 4 stars.
StarYoshi, :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: 5 stars.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

@StarYoshi What a very fun picture!I love all the creative flare in it.

@Nai I love how the strawberry is just suspended, as well as the steam you added. Very nice touch.

Nai = :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

StarYoshi = :star: :star: :star: :star:

That leaves each competitor at nine stars!

Edited by Ryker

Sign in to follow this