Why .zip file for install.exe

I'm amused that the P.NET installer is downloaded as a .zip file. The .zip file only contains one file, install.exe, which itself is a compressed file.

The savings in file size (and thus download time) appears to be about 1%. And it requires more time than that saves, plus extra mouse moves and clicks for the user to unzip the file, go to the unzipped folder, and run the .exe file.

How about just targeting the install.exe file with the Paint.NET download link. Or is there a good reason for using a .zip file?

I'm certainly not responding specifically for Rick, but this seems like a very trivial issue to me.

When you download and install an .exe file, or at least as it's been my experience, the browser responds with a warning and asks if you are sure you wish to download the file as it may be unsafe. This means, that you still have to take an extra step to confirm to the browser that you wish to download it. Again, as has been my experience, that this does not occur w/a .zip file.

So it doesn't appear to me that you're saving w/fewer clicks. Plus, if a file is further reduced in size, then download time is obviously also reduced. Now seconds may not matter to you, but the product is not limited to folks in the U.S., but is available for folks worldwide (hence the available translations for it) and a reduced file size may be more beneficial for those users.

So I'll just say that I'm equally amused that you found it necessary to point this out (especially since you technically only need to download it once - unless of course your connection is bad - then again the smaller size will also benefit you in these instances because your download wait time is also reduced - and that will add up on multiple downloads).

Because EXEs get corrupted in a non-detectable or non-fatal (as in, UAC prompt shows error but allows you to continue) manner. ZIPs, if corrupted, simply won't work at all.

This happens a lot more often than you might expect. Networks and network cards are not all made alike ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg