How to Install Plugins ×

Stipple plugin - updated to v1.1 (27th Nov 2012)

davidf

Effects > Artistic > Stipple

Changes in version 1:1:

• Added "Size variation" to vary dot size as well as spacing.
  • Added "Squash" to allow dots in dark areas to overlap.
  • Added "Distorted dots" for non-circular dots.
  • Added "Transparent background".

Replaces an image with a "dotted" version (circles with density depending on the image brightness).

stipple.jpg

The parameters are as follows:

Dot color - the color of the dots (unless Colored dots is selected).

Background color - the color around the dots.

Dot size - the diameter of the dots.

Size variation - how small the dots get in the lightest parts of the image (0.0 means all dots have equal size).

Spread - controls how far apart the dots get. Affects lighter colors the most; black pixels always causes dots to touch (or overlap if Squash is nonzero).

Squash - controls how much dots overlap in the darkest areas.

Bias - behave as though the image is darker (negative) or lighter (positive). Does not affect extreme colors (black and white).

(This parameter is exactly the same as for the Dot plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25461-dot-plugin-17th-oct-2012).

Lightness threshold - if this value is less than one, the brightest pixels are ignored (so white pixels become empty areas). See the bottom left image in the example above.

Colored dots - if selected, the color is taken from the pixel in the middle of the dot.

Distorted dots - makes dots non-circular.

Transparent background - makes the background completely transparent (Background color is ignored).

Reseed - reset the random number generator. Depending on the image, this may sometimes have no effect.

Tips

• Be patient with large images! On my computer it takes 12 seconds to process a 3000x3000 image (but just a few seconds for 2000x2000). Consider reducing the image size first, since the results will probably be similar. The progress bar may not advance, but the effect is still working.
  • This plugin works best with images that either have smooth gradients or high contrast. The bottom left image in the example above was sharpened a lot first (using Effects > Photo > Sharpen with the maximum sharpness three times in a row).
  • The algorithm draws the dots from darkest to lightest, so thin black lines against a white background look much more distinct than white lines against a black background.

Download: Stipple1.1.zip

As usual, love to see any pics using this plugin!

Edited by davidf
  • Upvote 1

You in the 80's? Could have sworn that was Jimmy Page! :lol:

Hey nice plugin davidf! When are you going to compile a plugin pack so users can download all your awesome plugins in one go?

• Upvote 1

OK, here's me:

StippleBoltBait.gif

Nice picture! According to your avatar, you've had a haircut since then ... ;)

Here's another:

stippled_mandelbrot.jpg

When are you going to compile a plugin pack so users can download all your awesome plugins in one go?

Um, eventually! I kind of assume people look up your excellent "plugin index" if they want to find more by the same author:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15260-plugin-index

Another top notch effect David, thanks! :star:

I'm always in favour of many options, so if the variable size/shape choices are still practical I can see no harm in adding them. (only if this does not involve too much extra work though!).

@Boltbait, - you are getting younger! :D

@Nitenurse, - great image (your pdn skills have really improved btw! - some great sigs recently) :)

Re: plug-in pack - definitely - I've found it best to leave new plug-ins published for a few weeks before adding them to a pack, just incase there are any minor changes required. Saves people re-downloading the whole pack each time.

Here's my offering

(I used splinter blur, dents and a few other things too).

stippledents.png

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I'm always in favour of many options, so if the variable size/shape choices are still practical I can see no harm in adding them. (only if this does not involve too much extra work though!).

I was thinking a little about shapes yesterday ... what did you have in mind? A set of fixed shapes (squares, triangles ...) or a shape provided by the user (trickier to do)?

Edit: For an interesting "crescent moon" effect, try using large dots (size 10+), Effects > Stylize > Edge Detect, then Adjustments > Invert Colors.

Dot size is a slightly different issue; at the moment the code assumes equal sized dots. Maybe the existing "halftone" plugin covers this already?

Re: plug-in pack - definitely - I've found it best to leave new plug-ins published for a few weeks before adding them to a pack, just incase there are any minor changes required. Saves people re-downloading the whole pack each time.

OK, I'm persuaded! I'll put together a plugin pack soon ...

Nice pics from you & Nitenurse, by the way. Thanks for posting!

Edited by davidf

Hello David,

Ed Harvey's 'Halftone' is excellent, but it imitates printing halftone (as you would expect) and appears to erode a preset pattern (or choice of patterns).

Your 'stippling' appears to randomly scatter the dots to achieve tone by the density of the spacing, which gives an interesting, more human feel. Stippling also has the advantage of using the source colours (yes, Halftone could be used as a mask to similar effect).

In terms of shapes I really like the 'Yak/butterfly' example you posted. When you stipple with a (real) brush or felt-tip pen the marks produced will vary in a slightly randomized way (both shape and position). Now whether it is possible or practical to incorporate varying shape is different matter. Generally I think adjustable random is more pleasing than strictly geometrical.

I doubt if a user defined shape would be worth the extra complication.

I would like to see an option for 'transparent' for the background color, as this would save time converting the image into an 'object' layer, where further manipulation is easier.

The stipple shapes can be varied to a degree by running 'splinter blur' on the stipples (when they are objects on a transparent layer), then messing with the transparency.

Thanks again for an excellent plugin!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

In terms of shapes I really like the 'Yak/butterfly' example you posted. When you stipple with a (real) brush or felt-tip pen the marks produced will vary in a slightly randomized way (both shape and position). Now whether it is possible or practical to incorporate varying shape is different matter. Generally I think adjustable random is more pleasing than strictly geometrical.

Good point about stippling in real life -- I'll think about what would make the dots look more "natural" .

Here are some hand made stipples:

ink-stippling.jpg

I would like to see an option for 'transparent' for the background color, as this would save time converting the image into an 'object' layer, where further manipulation is easier.

OK, I'll see if I can add transparency in a future version.

Good point about stippling in real life -- I'll think about what would make the dots look more "natural" .

A small random offset?

This plugin has just been updated to version 1.1 ... it now allows transparent backgrounds, non-circular dots, overlapping dots and variable sized dots.

See what you think!

Edit: Here are a couple of examples ...

The top image is the same as in the first post, using dot size 2.33, size variation 0.27, spread 0.54, squash 0.45, bias 0.0 and lightness threshold 0.97. The darker areas are due to the "squash" value.

The bottom image uses variable sized, non-circular dots.

stipple2.png

This is roughly what I did:

Hidden Content:

I'm afraid I use a lot of my own (codelab-written) plugins. Link in sig.

Additionally plugins used :

Stipple!

Trail

motion blur (hardware accelerated version with 'centre' unchecked)

standard Gaussian blur (not a plugin)

Bevel selection

AA assistant

Here is an explanation of the image (as I can remember):

1.Photograph left hand (this is the hardest bit!).

1a. Remove background to leave hand as an object on a transparent layer.

1b. Use AA assistant to smooth edges

1c. Use Object2colour on 'cleanclear' preset - to ensure transparent areas are white.

1d. Save as a .png . Always useful to have a folder of 'objects' for use in other projects.

2. Run Stipple with 'color' & 'transparent background' checked. Reduce the 'threshold' slider slightly so the dots ignore the transparent white background.

2a. Duplicate this layer.

3. Top layer. Use Objectedge with a small radius, to give the dots a round appearance.

4. Next down - on another copy of the stippled layer.

Selected background, inverted selection, used Bevel selection on small radius.

(careful, I nearly crashed pdn on such a complex selection - give it time to render)

A similar effect (in this case) can be achieved by duplicating the top layer, 'eroding' it with AA assistant and moving the layer a few pixels diagonally.

5.Next down - 'Extruded' layer.

I think this was a duplicate of the top layer, with the darkened edges. 'Extruded' using Trail (fade out unchecked).

darken this layer a bit with Brightness/contrast.

6.Next down - shadow layer.

Use a duplicate of the stippled layer. Turn it black using Object2colour. Move it to line up with the ends of the extruded layer. Motion blur it off at an angle consistent with the overall lighting. Add a slight Gaussian blur to soften.

7.Next down. - general shadow layer.

Used Gradients galore to produce a transparent to black gradient to emphasise light direction.

8. Lowest layer.

'Grey' noise (Noise choice) over grey background.

9. Adjust transparency of layers, Flatten image and slightly sharpened the image with Overblur.

Well, you did ask! :D

I'm sure there are different methods/effects that could achieve a similar result using Stipple as a starting point.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I would really love to use this plugin except when I download it and copy the dll file to the effects folder and load paint.net I do not see the stipple effect anywhere in the effects tab....am I missing something. I tried the dot plugin and nothing either...Please help! Thank you!

Look in Effects > Artistic for Stipple.

Effects > Stylize for Dots.

• 1 year later...

I came across this program and plugin searching for a stipple effect and couldn't be happier, I'm getting results better than I hoped for. Thank you David!!!

This plugin gets me halfway through my project and reason for searching for creating a stippling image. I also need to import these images into my cad program and have the stipples editable. This part I thought would be easiest and finding it nearly impossible, I spent hours/days with google and Illustrator/trace with horrible vector results. I also downloaded Qgis desktop in hopes to convert raster to points but had no success. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction on how to accomplishing this. I know my way around cad but my experience with imaging is very limited.

Moderators I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I'm really desperate .

Thanks,

Stacy

• 5 years later...
This plugin is so great and I did not find something better. Thank you for this great work!

Is there a possibility to find out the quantity of all dots in one picture? I would like to choose, if we create 1.000 dots or 100.000 dots in one picture. Without counting out.   🙂    That would be so good.