How to Install Plugins ×

Curly Lines plugin: updated to v1.1a (19th Nov 2012)

davidf

Hello David,

Congratulations on the 'sticky' (sounds uncomfortable but I believe it is a great compliment!). :D

Very much deserved though, great plugin. :star:

Been playing with the new version 1.1a - love the width-wise shading options - running it on different layers is no problem. The randomization code feature is really useful for that.

I have noticed a slightly unexpected behaviour. Not a bug!

The 'identical lines' checkbox can be selected in radial or parallel mode. It then remains selected but greyed out when returning to point to point mode, (producing many lines on top of each other appearing as one line). This is logical and I don't know if any other behaviour would be better. It just puzzled me for while that I had selected a number of lines but could only see one. Perhaps it shouldn't be greyed out if it is active? - anyway not a problem.

Amazed at how many useful things can be produced with this, many thanks!

(re. EEr's comment - I assumed it had to be written in Visual studio ?) :/

I've merged and altered the original shading layers quite a bit on this one.

Moonworm_curlylineswidth.png

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I have noticed a slightly unexpected behaviour. Not a bug!

The 'identical lines' checkbox can be selected in radial or parallel mode. It then remains selected but greyed out when returning to point to point mode, (producing many lines on top of each other appearing as one line). This is logical and I don't know if any other behaviour would be better. It just puzzled me for while that I had selected a number of lines but could only see one. Perhaps it shouldn't be greyed out if it is active? - anyway not a problem.

I would actually call that a bug (as in unintended bahavior), even if it's relatively harmless ...

Love the picture! Thanks for posting it. Those branches/tentacles/whatever look a little scary, though. :noes:

Edited by davidf

I'll see your cyber-flower nitenurse and raise ya one metalflower,lol. ;)

th_91-b.png

Very nice plugin Davidf,it's going to take awhile to see what all can be done with it. This one was my first try and I could see by that one I will be spending hours playing with this plugin. Thanks. :)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Outstanding Welshy! Love those - you can almost smell them :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

David i am a Avalon Beach chick & have downladed & printed the Bolt thing - but i just can unzip - but all i get after extract (prior to unblock) are the words 'curly lines'.....after scrolling through 54 pages ....& posting problem.....any ideas!!!!

All you have to do is download the zip folder from the first post, then drag and drop the .dll file into the effects folder (C:\Program Files\Paint.net\Effects). If that is what you are doing, then I'm not sure why it isn't working. Make sure you restart paint.net after installing the plugin.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

all is well - it was the way the computer was set up after the upgrade...i added another account as 'shared' downloaded it by IE [which i don't like] it opened it & there it was - so copied it - went back to being Administrator & pasted it in.....geez......computer goes back on Monday to get the settings right.....very reluctant to blame a machine for my own inadeqacies at being creative- all brand new to me.....many thanks to all  regards

Edited by ftlog666

Hi Kami - welcome to the forum.

Nice image - but a little too large for the forum (maximum limit is 800 pixels high or wide).  I've replaced the image with a clickable link.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is now one of my top 10 favorite plugins. The possibilities for making my own brushes just got better!

I haven't fully toyed with all of it's potential yet, but I think this plugin is wonderful for making vector-like lines, waves, curls, and spirals. Yay! :star:

• 1 month later...

Nice.  Very organic and natural looking.

• 2 years later...

Please excuse my posting this late reply.   I am new to PDN and am going through these forums for the first time.

This plugin is beyond amazing, a good bit of fun, and in my opinion deserving of this most complimentary acknowledgement to the author, davidf.   Thank you David.

All the useful coolness in this tool got me to experimenting a bit and I decided to see what would happen if what I created with the Curly Lines plugin were rendered again using Shape3D.   The results, similar to this one, were really quite interesting but unfortunately I can not recall all steps taken or settings used.

Thanks again to all who create, participate, and moderate the gift that is PDN. 

Curly Lines after Shape3D.png

• Upvote 5

Nice! I like that a lot. Would be very interested if you can give us a tutorial....