How to save file as .png file W/8bit single channel?

I'm trying to edit some map files in the game called "Farming Simulator 2013" by GIANTS. They are png files & I can load/edit the files in paint. But after I save the files back to the proper game folder & try to run the game I get an error stating :grass_weight.png' incorrect format. Must be 8bit single channel.

Is there a plug-in to save a file in this format? Am I missing something or am I just not going to be able to edit a paint,net file in paint.net? I will be thankful for any advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Robert Smith

( smith1213)

p.s. My forum name was supposed to be "smith121363". oops.

pdnob,

I appreciate your response & I down loaded the plug-in but it only saves in 16bit format. I am looking for a 8bit format. It's strange that I can edit these files in GIMP & save the files in the right format but I can't in paint.net. The problem with Gimp is there is no control of the brush size. Oh well I'll just keep looking.

pdnob,

I appreciate your response & I down loaded the plug-in but it only saves in 16bit format. I am looking for a 8bit format. It's strange that I can edit these files in GIMP & save the files in the right format but I can't in paint.net. The problem with Gimp is there is no control of the brush size. Oh well I'll just keep looking.

8-bit means 256 colors. So use the PNG (Low color) file type in the file selector.

In the parameter dialog choose 'Custom (2-256), Custom Colors=256, Transparency level 0).

This should render an 8-bit png w/o transparency.

midoras signature.gif

• 9 years later...

I fixed it by using gimp

Saving as png 

When options appear untick save background color

Change drop down menu from automatic pixel format to 8bpc GRAY

Worked for me and remove the error saying it needed to be 8bit single channel