Digital Fantasy photo manipulation

deltafour1212

I guess I dont understand.

I looked at most of the editing software out there and they all seem to have the same type of format. The only thing I see different is more bells and whistles such as tools (that you probably will never use) and more plugins and the cost.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I have looked at a lot of tutorials out there and from what I am seeing, it looks like most use only a few of the basic tools to do a project, no matter what software you use.

Delta

I suppose it depends upon what you want to do. The cost factor alone for Paint.NET (free) is more than other programs offer. But if you don't have aspirations to produce fine pieces, then maybe MS Paint is more to your liking. Spend some time browsing various galleries where members display their works and browse the tutorials as well. Decide for yourself based upon if any of it inspires you whether Paint.NET is for you.

Hi, Jim

What i am looking to do is Digital Fantasy photo manipulation.

Taking stock photos or my own and creating a fantasy portrait.

Here's an example

post-92806-0-60151700-1351783735_thumb.j

Not 100% about this but have you tried out GIMP, or Paint Tool Sai? Maybe they are more suited to that sort of digital painting, what with brushes and finer control of the specifics of your pen/ brush tools

eOdUjVm.jpg

Your example is a painting, not a combination of stock photos like you are hoping to put together. (evidence: lighting inconsistency in folds of cloth, uniform brush size for rock texture, the messy textures in the top right corner, and no interaction between the person and the water.)

If that is what you want to do, I would highly recommend taking a college level art course because there is no way any tutorial on the internet can teach you to paint realistically. It takes time and practice to develop skills like that.

Also, if you plan on painting digitally, I would recommend buying a pen tablet so you aren't trying to paint with your mouse.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

"Your example is a painting, not a combination of stock photos like you are hoping to put together".

Actually it is stock photos . It was a step by step tutorial using stock photos showing you how to do photo manipulation

it looks like most use only a few of the basic tools to do a project, no matter what software you use.

Which is why Paint.NET focuses on making those tools as simple and intuitive to use as possible.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have used many drawing/photo-editing software programs such as Corel Draw, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop, Photo Draw, Expression Design, and Paint Dot Net. Each have fundamental similarities and some differences. Since February of 2012, I find that I use Paint Dot Net the most.

What you have stated earlier in this thread is true. Most Users rely on a select bundle of tools and plug-ins, but what I use frequently, you may not use at all. As with cars, each has the same basic set of features, like an engine, tires, steering wheel, and seats. A Smart Car will never be a Bugatti, but most users of graphics software do not need the Bugatti of drawing programs to produce nice work nor can they afford it. Paint Dot Net is like getting a sports car with the utility package for free.

Edited by HyReZ

"Your example is a painting, not a combination of stock photos like you are hoping to put together".

Actually it is stock photos . It was a step by step tutorial using stock photos showing you how to do photo manipulation

In that case, paint.net should have all the tools you need to follow the tutorial...

I've followed both GIMP and Photoshop tutorials using paint.net because, as you said, there are many similarities between image editing programs. As long as it doesn't involve brushes, you should be able to follow it with some minor adjustments.

EDIT: I just assumed it was an image you found on google because you were asking for a tutorial in another thread...never crossed my mind that you might already have a tutorial >.>

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There is no quick answer for you about doing fantasy pieces. Each piece you do will more than likely have a different "feel" to them. Not only is it simply a matter of piecing different images together, but taking it a step further to make it "magical" looking. For instance, in the other thread you created, one of the images you provided had the caldrin with "wispy" lines and "bubbles" coming from it, but that sort of element isn't in the picture above. So, despite the fact that both pictures aren't the same you are still able to identify each as fantasy piece.

So to elaborate on the very first sentence above, there will probably be several different things you'll need to learn in order to get the right effect. So I'm sure you have some ideas in your head of images you'd like to create, but to bring them out will mean learning different things. As mentioned previously, take some time and visit the tutorial section. Even though there may not be tutorials specific to "fantasy" work, I'm sure there will be elements in several that you can learn and then apply those different things to your work.

Here's an example:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25488-adding-realistic-light-rays-to-a-photo/

Now the above tutorial has nothing specifically to do with fantasy pictures, but it can be used in one if for example you wish to add sun rays in a background through the trees.

There is also this tutorial (one I created):

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/23263-underwater-ruins/

Again, it has nothing to do with fantasy pictures, but it does touch upon 2 things. Combining multiple images, and changing the environment to feel and look like something else.

This too can be incorporated into a fantasy picture:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/17235-glowy-swirl-tutorial/

As you can see (if you've looked at the tutorials) there several things that you can learn elsewhere here that will aid you in putting together a piece to your liking.

If you can link us to the tutorial we might be able to give you specifics. Otherwise, as Jim said, this is a unique process that is heavily dependent on the source images(s).

Edit: Renamed this thread.

Also, if you have the different images already that you wish to work with and how you'd like to combine them, maybe we can work from there.

Thank you pdnnoob, #13 jim100361, Ego Eram Reputo for all your help.

Actually the tutorial was a PDS tutorial. The basic tools they were using seem to be every editing software out there.

That's why I was wondering do you really need PS when it looks like Paint.net can pretty much do it.

So i will follow the PS tutorial and apply it to Paint.Net

When i get done I shall show you the finish product and will look for a HONEST opinion from everyone. Bad or good. You wont hurt my feelings trust me on that LOL

I was just looking for fantasy photo that used Paint.Net to see if it had the ability like PS

Thanks for the help once again and thanks for the links Jim

Delta

If you're going to convert another tutorial, how about writing down the Paint.NET steps as you do it?

This way you have a PS>Paint.NET conversion that we can use to refine the process or help with any problems that arise.

I don't think he wasn't trying to be insulting. What may be obvious to some is not obvious to others. Many folks go through a project without making notes on what they did. Then when others ask what they did they can't answer because they don't recall and/or didn't make any annotations. EER simply is not making any assumptions. Aside from this, it is a good general reminder for anybody who may read this thread.

I don't think he wasn't trying to be insulting

I never took it as insulting. I was totaly agreeing with Ego

I know how it is.

When you see a great peice of work and it makes you go WOW! You would like to know what they did it. Because it might help others with their projects.

So when Ego asked write it down . I said no problem that's just a given.

No insult intended, Sorry for the confusion

Delta