Logo/ Banner Challenge Discussion thread

welshblue

Sorry, I don't have all the answers. I only have ideas and suggestions to think about or try out. And sometimes the ideas and suggestions aren't very good ones. I have not personally tried out my above ideas yet either. Those suggestion are just what came to mind as I was thinking about the theme too, and so I shared my thoughts. I personally like it when people share their ideas and perspectives to voluntarily give ideas to others. When people share their thoughts on a theme it helps me think outside the box, or it helps me gain a better understanding of the theme, so I like to share too.

I'm sorry you don't always understand what I type, but I would assume the reason you don't understand is because I'm not good at conveying my thoughts in ways that are clear and understandable, and that's because I think I might have poor communication skills. Hopefully one of these days I will improve my communication abilities, and then what I type will be easier to understand. Aside from my poor communication skills, I'm glad you at least like the example pictures. :)

I honestly don't really know what cubists is still, but after looking at lots of pictures it made me think of other art that's based on geometric shapes. If you observe art that's based on geometric shapes, along with the cubist art style, then hopeful ideas on how to make something "cubist" can come into mind.

CC

You got it!

point 1  "outside the box"  is cubism. It was a radical departure from the natural style (in art/painting) that had come before it.

point 2  geometric shapes help re-define our ideas of natures shapes and forms, but though contrary to "real life" , the result is to still convey the "essence" of that object/person so it is "recognisable" for what is and "could" be.

OK  I know, I know 64aec4dc.gif,64aec4dc.gif,64aec4dc.gif.

But is was an important movement/advance/change  to the then current artistic style.  Which had - in the cubist opinion - stifled creativity; and was too dry and moribund; thus it needed to be swept aside so

the new (art) style could burst forth pbhappyjump.gif.   

Scooter

I'm still too young, to be this doggone old

paint.net: I can learn it, I can...mostly, I think👨‍🦳

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all opinions, checking some sources, and working on the matter for a while trying different ideas, I finally came up with something. Just hoping it is relatively decent as per the laws of cubism pooh.gif

I love your entries, Pixey and Fuzzy! hi.gif

So nice to see all the entries in LBC42 (thanks Maximilian for the kind words ;) )   How clever of @Red ochre's entry ......... the smaller the thumb the more you can see his face :lightning: .

I have noticed that three of the entries are jpeg's.  I remember way-back-when saving in jpeg until @Helen gave me the advice to save in png for a better image viewing ;) .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I'm one of the ones who used jpeg. :D
I thought jpeg images were still a smaller file size. I like to use smaller file sizes for when uploading, out of consideration for people who have slower connections. I could optimize my pngs (which I try to do for my gallery), but it's not always worth the effort. And, as long as I have my "layers" version of my image, I can re-save as many different formats as I want.  :lol:

But, yes, PNG = no loss in quality, so it is recommended. For making the png a smaller file size, I now like the png optimization program called PNG Gauntlet. :)

(there is also the quick little optipng plugin. But I haven't done much file size comparison with it yet, to know how it's file sizes compare to other optimization programs and jpegs)

PS, I noticed Racerx did an entry update, I have liked both your entries Racerx. Keep up the good work. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I posted a comment in the "Humorous Sign" entry thread. I thought I was on this thread. I must have clicked the wrong tab after switching to another tab to check the wording of the sign.

I beseech the moderators to remove that comment, which is:

---

The problem with the humorous sign competition is, what is being judged, the image or the joke?

Looking at the Google images, I really liked the "CAUTION: this sign has sharp edges" sign, but most versions, in my opinion, ruined the joke by tacking on a lame, "also, the bridge is out ahead." The humor comes from the fact that the sign's only purpose is to warn you of a hazard that only exists because of the sign. I'm a little miffed, because I had a similar idea for a sign joke, but the "sharp edges" sign, without the addendum, is better.

---

The problem with the humorous sign competition is, what is being judged, the image or the joke?

I think it's up to a person on what they vote for (assuming the voters are the judges). We can encourage people to vote on certain aspects of an entry, but ultimately, it's still up to them on what they vote for and why.

Sometimes I vote based on how close an entry represents a theme. For example, some people don't really portray a theme too well, and some people do. Even if the entry isn't the best looking, if it is accurate to the theme then I vote for it. Other times I do simply vote on what looks best. But I have been known to vote on things simply because they made me laugh.

@ Red Ochre, you chose a silly theme, I hope we do get some funny entries. :P

I've removed the off topic posts from the Entries thread. As requested :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you racerx.    No idea why only three entries in that comp, no funny people?

Seeing how there is many takes on the theme found on google IMO there was little scope to create something that has not been done already.

BREtKQW.png

Maybe that's true, but perhaps taking up an overly done project may be a good incentive to boost one's creativity. I wish I'd had more time to see if I could come up with something. I had a few ideas but no time to work on them before the deadline.

Maybe that's true, but perhaps taking up an overly done project may be a good incentive to boost one's creativity. I wish I'd had more time to see if I could come up with something. I had a few ideas but no time to work on them before the deadline.

I personally could not come up with anything original, a decent theme for a logo/banner comp, but sadly at this moment my creativity has died and looking at how many people are (not) entering the comps, it seems I am not alone.

BREtKQW.png

Reckon users need a little more direction.  No criticism of the current comp theme intended, but how about something like "Reskin this playing card  (King of Clubs)" or "Create a calendar for the month of May?  If creativity is the issue - this might give more focus by tightening the criteria.

Personally, my creativity tends to suffer every now and then regardless of the topic. I think the best policy in such cases is to not push it too hard, but rather play with different things and see what happens. Maybe something satisfactory will come up eventually :) I like the calendar idea!

Sorry if I picked a hard theme for this week's logo/banner competition #44, Save the Earth. As much as I would like to see creativity from scratch using just pdn I have to submit to the fact that pdn is an image editor as well. This theme would be easier for some and can look quite nicer if stock images were used if a person desires and is not against the rules. So don't feel you can't enter this comp on the basis of my rants about creativity from scratch. I tend to over react at times and my intention is not to chase people away. My apologies to all if I have. 

All I did was google Images for Save the Earth. I saw many good examples of this theme which you can get some ideas from. Here is the link to make it easier;    https://www.google.com/search?q=save+the+earth&biw=1600&bih=775&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DdU_VePMO4HagwSyp4DADA&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQsAQ

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I like the proposed theme and I'm working on something —fully PdN— that has to do with saving the Earth, although my work is not precisely related to ecology and I don't know if it will totally fit the concept of saving the Earth that you have in mind. I guess I'll submit it anyway once it's ready and see what happens.

We only had 3 entries in the Funny Sign Comp.  The general feeling voiced about that, was the theme was not motivational and, or .... not enough time. 

Although I am not a greeny I, nevertheless, put my mouse to work 34448.gif  

Just say if you want to extend the time by another week.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Not many entries in the new logo/banner comp.  What's up with that?  

For me - Recovering from a serious head operation, I only managed the SOTW - monochromatic - comp because it did not cause headaches or strain, I do hope to contribute more very soon, it is a good topic and perhaps an extention of 7 days could help.

Cmu3GHE.jpg

Archived