Feature - Color Picker - Active pixel data display on tool bar.

Hi All

I would like to request a feature that would help picking the right color on the 1st mouse click

when working with images that have many colors and shades etc...

Today we need to move the mouse over the pixel and click it to select the color

under it and make it active, only then we get the RGB/HSV/Alpha info about it.

and if its not the correct pixel info we need to select again. etc...

to make the color selection faster and more accurate on the first click

and also enable us to select directly only the pixel with RGB info we want.

It would be great to have online/active display of the Color and RGB/HSV/ALPHA information on the pixel

under the color picker , in the toolbar like in the picture i have added.

this would make color selection easy and with less clicks on the mouse.

just move the mouse over the image, look at the color and select the color you need.

the data can be placed anywhere, I just placed it there since its connected to the tool.

What do you think ?

COLOR_PICKER.jpg

Avi

p.s.

This would be great to have on other tools, like the (Magical) Fill Bucket so we can select

the color we want to fill with other color etc...

or the Magic Wand selection tool to select the color with the RGB info we want.

Edited by avim1968

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

You can achieve the same thing by holding the mouse button down and watching the numbers in the Colors window.

Hi Pyro

Yes this works 10x :-)

but I lose my primary color since a click has selected/picked a new color :-(

I need to compare the color I want to the current color/numbers I'm using (primary color)

I still think that using that empty space in the toolbar is a better solution.

this way the user can compare between the two sets of numbers.

However maybe (as a compromise/combine our answers) ,

a small small change to the color picker tool can be made ?

Have the colors change in the color box whenever the user selects the tool

without the need for a mouse click.

then only if the user reaches/see the color/RGB numbers he need , he can click the mouse and

only then that color would become the primary color.

moving the tool outside the image border or deselecting the tool would restore the original

primary color.

Rick?

thank you

Avi

what do you think ?

If you need to keep your primary color, right click to use the secondary color.

If you need both, you can save the primary and/or secondary color in the color palette temporarily while you are looking around for color values

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If you need to keep your primary color, right click to use the secondary color.

If you need both, you can save the primary and/or secondary color in the color palette temporarily while you are looking around for color values

Hi pdnnoob

yes I need both colors and your idea does work , however as i said i need to compare

the color values so if i place then in the color palette i wont be able to see their values.

so I still think that being able to see the value numbers of the pixel below the picker

change on the screen would be the solution.

I also think its not such a bad idea or hard to implement. (just like the x,y of the cursor at the bottom)

as i write my plugin now i read the pixel data all the time and know its values.

i guess Paint.Net color picker also knows those values before the click (Rick?) so it can show the numbers some where on the screen.

so, show the numbers before the click, select the color only when clicked.

try to think of it as more info to the end user .

Avi

p.s.

I know the pen and paper workaround ;-)

Edited by avim1968

I also think its not such a bad idea or hard to implement. (just like the x,y of the cursor at the bottom)

This kind of talk understandably gets Rick riled. You have no idea of the inner working of Paint.NET so please don't presume that it would be "easy" to implement.

Another thread followed much the same pattern as this one. I suggest you read Rick's post here: http://forums.getpai...ng/#entry375807 and re-read his post here:

This kind of talk understandably gets Rick riled. You have no idea of the inner working of Paint.NET so please don't presume that it would be "easy" to implement.

Another thread followed much the same pattern as this one. I suggest you read Rick's post here: http://forums.getpai...ng/#entry375807 and re-read his post here: http://forums.getpai...er/#entry373877

Hi Ego/Rick

I meant no Disrespect nor wanted to "annoy"/"anger" (had to check what "riled" is) , I think Rick is doing a great

job (I learned allot from him even PM him about it :-) )

I read the posts you said , and I learned thru them more from Rick answers on how Paint.Net works and it pushed me

to learn more things myself, since his answers (even if i didn't agree with them some time) are great and

to the point ! :-) :-)

There is a great saying "what you see from here, You don't see from there" meaning when I say something

I don't see the big picture that Ricks see as a developer and that (his) point of view is revealed when

he answers the posts.

it makes one see how great minds think/work - (Including you all here when you answer)

thank you all

Avi

p.s.

I'm think that as long as the talks are not heated or go personal or disrespectful , they are ok.

even if we disagree or see things different which is good.

p/s/2

I also learned thru the years that when management and/or marketing asked for "simple/small things"

it took us weeks to implement ;-)

Edited by avim1968