Is this cool effect possable?

Duplicate the layer, use brightness/contrast (ctrl+shift+c) to set the contrast to -100 (this creates your color layer)

Select the other layer and press ctrl+shift+g (for the luminosity layer)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Duplicate the layer, use brightness/contrast (ctrl+shift+c) to set the contrast to -100 (this creates your color layer)

Select the other layer and press ctrl+shift+g (for the luminosity layer)

This doesn't work to make me be able to superimpose them to make the original for many reasons.

Firstly truning the contrast to 100 leaves just black and white and thus you can imagine what putting iut even on 75% would do (the black and white take over), and the luminoscity i need that layer to be see through in places where the hue need to shine through to make the effect of the original...

So no this is a faulty attempt, at this effect i think would give user good control over images.

Edited by ivancopeland

Firstly truning the contrast to 100 leaves just black and white and thus you can imagine what putting iut even on 75% would do (the black and white take over)
I said negative 100. That's important.
luminoscity i need that layer to be see through in places where the hue need to shine through to make the effect of the original...
Good to know things like this before I try to answer your questions. By the way, is it ok for the layers to be switched (hue on top and luminosity on bottom "shining through")?

To combine the layers, select the one on top and set the layer blend mode to overlay.

EDIT: by the way, I can't view your image in the original post

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

No you cannot edit the dll. What you can do is download a plugin like Color to Alpha. This plugin will allow you to specify which color to keep and the rest will be made transparent.