I'm still unable to get it to copy

I have a screenshot of a bolt of lighning that I managed to get on a transparent ground, but when I used ctrl+C nothing happened; when I used the copy from one of the menus, still nothing. When I checked my clipboard nothing was showing as copied. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

So please what now? How again--slowly, slowly--do I upload the screenshot to here.

Thank you.

Renee

To create a screenshot:

1. Open Paint.NET and the image you want to post.

2. Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. This copies the current screen to the clipboard.

3. Press the key combination Ctrl + Alt + V. This pastes the screenshot into a new image in Paint.NET

4. Select the Rectange Select tool :RectangleSelectTool: and highlight the area of interest within the new image.

5. Press Ctrl + Shift + X. This crops the image to the selection you have just made.

6. Save the image as a PNG.

To upload it an image to the forum:

You need to upload that image to a hosting service and post the link here. Full instructions are posted here: http://forums.getpai...es-and-avatars/

That may get the screenshot to upload to here, but it doesn't solve my problem of why an image of a lightning bolt won't copy from one PdN file to a new layer on another.

Plus when I used the magic tool to cut out the background, it changed the color of the lightning from white to grey.

But you asked for a walk-through of how to upload a screenshot....

I have a screenshot of a bolt of lighning that I managed to get on a transparent ground, but when I used ctrl+C nothing happened; when I used the copy from one of the menus, still nothing. When I checked my clipboard nothing was showing as copied. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

So please what now? How again--slowly, slowly--do I upload the screenshot to here.

I think you should reassess your use of the term screenshot. A screenshot is just that - a shot of a screenful of information. Its a screen capture in image form which will also capture the surround of the application you have open.

A screenshot is not the same as a Paint.NET image and I think this is where you're getting mixed messages from. A Paint.NET image is an image that may comprise multiple layers, or be composed of a single layer.

In order to do a copy from one image to another, or from one layer to another you need to do this:

1. open the source image so the image is the editing window in Paint.NET.

2. Select the correct layer by clicking on this layers name in the Layers Window. The layer you click on will be highlighted in the Layers Window (this is the layer which has the element that you wish to copy).

3. Press and hold the Ctrl key down. Tap the A key. Release both. This selects all of the active layer (the one you selected in 2).

4. Press and hold the Ctrl key down. Tap the C key. Release both. This combination copies the selected layers contents to the clipboard.

5. Open the destination image so it appears on the Paint.NET canvas/editing window.

6. Select an exisiting layer in the destination image by clicking on it's name in the Layers Window (just like 2 above). Or you could create a new layer to hold the element you're transferring.

7. Once you have the destination layer activated press and hold the Ctrl key down. Tap the V key. Release both. This combination copies the clipboard to the active layer.

As to why you weren't getting the image to copy, I suspect you weren't doing step number 3 i.e. telling Paint.NET which region you were intending to copy.

• Upvote 1