How to copy a title a letter at a time?

I've gotten to where I can at least select the letter, but then when I try to copy and paste, maybe I'm not using the right buttons? Ctrl-c for copy? And Ctrl-v for paste right?

I can move the individual letters by clicking the pixel mover, but since I need a double shot of two letters--one a 'c" and one 'p' I'm up the creek if I can't copy and paste the one I've got of each.

Please help. Thanks.

Your best option Renee is to use Ctrl+C (your correct at this being "copy") then use Ctrl+Shift+V will "paste" the letter on to a new layer, you can then move the letter to any part of your canvas (working area) then when you are happy with the layout, simply merge the layers down. :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Thank you, NN79. It's the shift key to get it to paste that I was missing. I sure hope I can get it to work. I'm trying to do things that help doesn't help so I appreciate your help.)

One thing I want to make sure of though. I don't need to put each letter on a new layer do I? I mean I can use the same layer for the entire word?

I'm sure in time you will get the basics of keyboard shortcuts ;)

Ctrl+X will cut the letter / selection

Ctrl+Shift+V will paste it into a new layer.

Ctrl+V will paste it to the layer your working on

Ctrl+C will copy it to the layer your working on

I hope you get there in the end Renee, It will soon be second nature to you :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

A quick add on: Likely, the reason the letter doesn't paste normally is because, if you just paste it, it will replace the thing you copied unless you move it right away.

Also, there is this thing called 'Help Topics' that you can access by clicking on the last button to the right on the toolbar (the thing that says stuff like 'File, Edit') and clicking on Help Topics. It includes a list of keyboard commands.

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖

Believe me, Xzerizon, I definitely know where the help button is! But the thing some of you don't realize is just how foreign this can be to someone like me. In fact, if you've never baked in your life and I said, Okay here's the mixer, the cake pan, the flour, salt, sugar, eggs , shortening and baking powder--do you think you could just go in an bake a cake??

And in a lot of ways that's what the help does--no oven temp, no measurements, no timing...And so I come here.

Hi renee27

I just logged on a bit ago and noticed the spam in another post and sent a report as I'm sure others may have.

If you see something that isn't right just click the report button at the lower right of that post.

Write what you think is wrong and a mod will look into it as soon as they are able.

Welcome to the forum.

SloppySig.png

Hi Renee

Well you got my attention with the Cake :-)

I'm not as young as the kids here i'm more closer to your age then

they are.(no offense anyone)

I just wanted to say that since computers came out, I saw them as

something strange that i had no control on, i was staying away from

them saying that it is too hard to work with them.

BUT a nice teacher sat down with me once and told me that if I try

and learn and stick with it no matter what .

I would be able to do great things with computers.

I had many failures and days I just "broke" my computer

to small parts, saying " I GIVE UP".

But I stayed and learned from others and from my mistakes.

over the time it became more clear and more flowing.

I even became a programmer and then moved to graphics more of image

manipulation (my hand drawings still sucks).

graphics programs always hard when you start, so many options and so many

ways to get something done.

Even now after years of working with graphics , at my age and my memory problems, I get lost sometimes

and can't move forward on a project. (something that didn't happen before.)

BUT I never give up, I try again and again, writing down what I did so i wont forget

and at the end when I see the results , I'm very happy.

The people here are great and helpful!

they would help you and wont give up on you.

trust them and mostly trust your self.

few tips from me and what I do to get the job done and learning a new software.

1. Put your current project aside for a little while.

2. open Paint.Net and just play with it, draw some lines , text, circles etc...

3. play with the buttons/menus and see for your self what each of them is doing.

4. take a note book and make notes of what you learned.

5. try the selections and copy/paste

6. try to move selection and use the effects .

7. ask here in the forum for help or questions.

doing the steps above would give you a better feeling about the software and its uses

and would enable you to figure out how to do the things you are after in your project.

(Its also called learning via "Trail and Error".)

or learning to drive.

I'll continue with you cake example, I can tell you that I can bake great cakes now.

but its only because I have made many many many really bad cakes trying

to figure out how to make them .

Don't give up :-)

Avi

p.s.

This works for every kind of software.

Edited by avim1968
  • Upvote 2

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

The people here are great and helpful! they would help you and wont give up on you. trust them and mostly trust your self.

Just to echo that thought/quote here, this is a very helpful forum, I know I never ask for much help, but I'm sure it would be offered if I asked (especially offering :cake: ) :D

I was a late starter with image editing software. I am 33 now and have only been seriously using computers / software for a few years. I learned by trial and error. Like avim says "open Paint.Net and just play with it, draw some lines , text, circles etc..." I learned by doing that with paint.net, It's also how I mastered most software, just by enjoying the learning curve by playing around with the features. If I messed up, it was no loss, because I was not working on anything important. Then when I gained the confidence to take bigger steps, I would work on a "copy" of my original image / creation. That way, If I messed it up I knew I still had the original safe from destruction.

Again like avim says - Don't give up. :)

<reason for edit> I just realised this is my #666 post :/

Edited by nitenurse79
  • Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Wonderful post, Avim. And you, also, nn. Thing right now for me is that I'm doing a major revision of my satirical historical fantasy (can't think of what else to call it!) and that is really a work out for my brain (although as my oldest dtr claims it is a sure protection against Alzheimers! :) ) And trying to do the new cover at the same time. So I get tired and frustrated. And feel like such an idiot not to be able to get it to work!

Right now, I don't have time to fool around with the program. The holidays are approaching and I'd like to have my book bright and shiny new and get some marketing done (and that is the hardest chore of all!!) to be out in time to maybe make some decent sales.

My cover for the first volume was done by a young graphic artist in Northern Ireland (a pro) and he's been good enough to make the changes to that cover gratis. All I now have to do is finish the revision. And at the same time, try to get the second cover made myself--and that's before I even tackle Vol. two that's partially written but a long way from finished.

And NN, honey, 33 ain't almost (2 1/2 months away) 85! :) I'll bet even Avi isn't that old!

Renee

I can understand the frustration Renee, but don't think of yourself as being an "idiot" open paint.net in some free time and just play around with it :) When you do get time, look at some of the tutorials on here, complete one and feel proud that you have acomplished something, then go on to another tutorial to try. For someone who is 85 years young, you are obviously a tallented lady, there is not many people writing books at your grand age (or even younger) ;) I respect you for that. :star:

Some of the people on here create things far beyond my ability, it does frustrate me too, but I know that in the end I can (and will) get the the same level as them. It just takes time to take it all in and then before we know it, it becomes second nature. Persevere and I am sure one day you will be as god as the others on here ;)

Remember, we have to learn to walk before we can run :)

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

NN, sorry to be tardy in my response but I wasn't sure I wanted to be like the god(s) on here! :evillaugh:<3

In truth, I appreciate all the nice things you said. And in fact, I'm ready to try something that I don't even know enough about to look up!! Is there some way to put "radiance" or bright "spots" like big stars in a telescope using PdN? And if so, is it in a tutorial for babies?? Since I will take your advice and not call myself an idiot.

Thanks again far the kind words!

Renee

Hi Renee.

There is some plugins here that may serve your needs http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=25128 or this one http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=19363 I hope these are of some use :)

You may be best searching the tutorials and see what other people have come up with, but perhaps try the plugins first. Remember to use a copy of your picture and not the original, that way, your not losing any valuable work ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

what is the difference in a plug-in and a tutorial? Obviously I don't know one from the other. And how do you use them once you've got them. I like the links a lot, but how would I use them--meaning get them to work?

Edited by renee27

A plug-in is a tool that you download that does a certain thing, such as creating fire, or another type of blur.

A tutorial is a bunch of text and pictures you follow to get an effect.

Think of plug-ins as machines that do the job for you, as opposed to tutorials which make you do the job.

As for your second question, what computer type do you use? (Windows 7, Windows XP, or Windows Vista)

If you do not know how to find out, then first, look at the bar at the bottom of your screen. If it is solid blue (or something else of you changed it) then you have Windows XP. If it's a translucent black, then it's either Windows 7 or Windows Vista. I forgot the differences between those two...

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖