How to Install Plugins ×

Grid Warp

pyrochild

On 12/15/2016 at 9:57 PM, pyrochild said:

I can't repro this. Is that the full exception? Is there a log? Is it crashing Paint.NET or just the plugin?

Sorry that I didn't include the full log there. It crashed Paint.net with an unhandled OutOfRange exception for something in a MouseDown event handler. It was when right-clicking, so maybe it's related to the number of items in the context menu. I'll post a log if I can get it to crash again.

• 2 months later...

Is there any way to make it so when you move the grid wrap it isn't curvy, but rather a straight line from one point to the other? Something like a trapezoid, Or like when you use perspective on an image. I've been looking everywhere for a plugin that can do that and I can't find it, and perspective doesn't work nearly as well.

I can't see the purpose of having a grid distortion consisting of a bunch of different perspective transformations. What would it be used to do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, Darkdrixer said:

Is there any way to make it so when you move the grid wrap it isn't curvy, but rather a straight line from one point to the other? Something like a trapezoid, Or like when you use perspective on an image. I've been looking everywhere for a plugin that can do that and I can't find it, and perspective doesn't work nearly as well.

added enhancement request

https://github.com/bsneeze/pdn-gridwarp/issues/4

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, welshblue said:

Copy the layer/ image to the clipboard, switch to the layer you want to gridwarp - right click on the canvas when gridwarp is open and choose the clipboard option

All my years of using GridWarp, and I didn't know it had that very valuable feature! Thanks, welshblue -- and, of course, pyrochild!

On 12/14/2016 at 12:59 AM, Joshua Lamusga said:

Crash Description

Grid Warp crashes if you open it for the first time with PDN and right-click before ever clicking a control point. Crashed reliably about 11 times in a row when repeatedly tested, until I left-clicked and moved a control point, after which it never crashed (even after restarting paint.net). Might be a rare bug. Windows 10 Home, 64-bit. Paint.NET version 4.0.12. Grid Warp version 4.0.5.

Exception Details

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: source.Size=6,8, newSize=16,16, but the new size must be smaller
   at PaintDotNet.Rendering.ResizeSuperSamplingRendererBgra..ctor(IRenderer`1 source, Int32 newWidth, Int32 newHeight) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Rendering\ResizeSuperSamplingRendererBgra.cs:line 283
   at PaintDotNet.Rendering.RendererBgraExtensions.ResizeSuperSampling(IRenderer`1 source, Int32 newWidth, Int32 newHeight) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Rendering\RendererBgraExtensions.cs:line 150

More Details

After the plugin stopped crashing, it didn't respond to changing the background color for the editing area of the canvas (but responded to changing the background color of the outer area). That's interesting, too.

This should be fixed in the beta attached below. Please give it a try.

It was caused if there was an image on the system clipboard smaller than the clipboard preview in the context menu. (16x16 then, 33x33 now)

On 11/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, Eli said:

An option to change the  color of the black grid lines would be nice. The nods get lost on a dark background.darkgrid-537f9ce.png

Reveal hidden contents

This is implemented in the beta attached. Just click the new Color wheel button on the left side. Note that this also replaces the right-click menu for the background and frame color settings.

<deleted attachment - please get the release version from the pack thread>

Edited by pyrochild
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

xZYt6wl.png

Update!

• New: feature to choose gridline color
  • Fix crash when opening colors page if clipboard image is smaller than preview
  • Fix crash when there's an error saving or loading gridwarp files
  • Fix: alpha turns to 0 if a color chooser starts at black and a slider is used

Installer:

• New: now supports installing plugins for Window Store version of paint.net
  • New: add option to start paint.net after successful installation
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

• 3 months later...

Pyro,

Any chance that a simple update could be made to enable/disable bezier curves on the grid ie allow straight line warps? (I know there are other plugins out there that do perspective warping but would be nice to have in this plugin/package, especially as a simple toggle option)

Cheers,

Chad

(been using your plugins for years -- many thanks)

• 1 month later...

This is EXACTLY the kind of selective-stretching feature that should be a standard part of Paint.net.

I was disappointed, though, to find that it opens the current layer in a separate window to stretch it. Typically, I'd use this to distort the selection to match the size and/or perspective of the overall image (for example, pasting a door onto a house photo). Without being able to see the complete image, it takes many freehand attempts to get the changes right. It'd be so much easier if the plugin superimposed the warp grid over the normal editing area... Is there a reason you avoided doing that?

Also, no Undo (Ctrl+Z)? Without that, even the slightest miscalculation requires you to start over. Each. Time. Please consider adding this as well.

Edited by anderpainter

On 11/25/2017 at 5:31 AM, gingerwithasoul said:

but is there a way to see the layers below the one I'm on while using the tool?

Use Copy Merged (Ctrl+Shift+C) to fill the clipboard, switch to the layer you want to warp, then open GridWarp and right click on the canvas + Clipboard option

1 hour ago, anderpainter said:

Is there a reason you avoided doing that?

Plugins can only access the current layer.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:08 PM, anderpainter said:

Without being able to see the complete image, it takes many freehand attempts to get the changes right. It'd be so much easier if the plugin superimposed the warp grid over the normal editing area... Is there a reason you avoided doing that?

On 4/22/2018 at 7:55 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Use Copy Merged (Ctrl+Shift+C) to fill the clipboard, switch to the layer you want to warp, then open GridWarp and right click on the canvas + Clipboard option

I followed your instructions, but right-clicking in GW's window has no effect—no context menu or anything else. What am I doing wrong?

On 4/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Plugins can only access the current layer.

I realize that. I was referring only to being able to see the other layers while using it—not using it on more than one layer at once, if that's what you meant.

Considering many of us would use this to adjust perspective in relation to other layers, it'd also be very useful to be able to move the layer being "warped", then make further adjustments, without having to close and reopen GW each time. I don't know if PN's API would permit this, though.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by anderpainter

2 hours ago, anderpainter said:

I followed your instructions, but right-clicking in GW's window has no effect—no context menu or anything else. What am I doing wrong?

Click the color wheel on the left side of the window to open the background and color settings, then check [x] From Clipboard

xZYt6wl.png

On 4/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

1 hour ago, pyrochild said:

Click the color wheel on the left side of the window to open the background and color settings, then check [x] From Clipboard

Harrumph. Looks like I'm using an old version.... ?

I get this when I right click on the Grid Warp canvas. When did this change??

Grid_Warp_background.png

Only 11 months? I'm practically up-to-date my my standards ?

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Ormr1 said:

I tried right-clicking but there was no option to put a background image or change the background color

Left click on the color wheel in the left hand corner of the plugin when your image is open.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 1 month later...

Hey, unless I'm doing this one wrong, is it possible to see layers under the one that you're manipulating? Sometimes I want to be able to map an image over another image without it looking weird. If not, can you please add it? It would turn this great tool into an even better one. 

5 minutes ago, XanderVen said:

Hey, unless I'm doing this one wrong, is it possible to see layers under the one that you're manipulating? Sometimes I want to be able to map an image over another image without it looking weird. If not, can you please add it? It would turn this great tool into an even better one. 

This is accomplished by placing the layer you want to view on the clipboard and selecting the clipboard option for background viewing.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...