Suggestion! Layers as "Groups"

Hello, I have no planned introduction at all, so I'll just go right into the idea.

Layers being treated as "Groups".

With this, say that you have a layer named "images" and a layer named "text".

On the layer "Images", you drag a picture or more into it. For example, you drag in a picture of your company's logo and a picture of you on your birthday. Those images will show up under the layer (Smaller than a layer so it's not mistaken as one). So under the "images" layer, there's logo.png and birthday.jpg. You can double click that to edit it as a separate "file", (In a new window in PDN, like if you have 2 images open). Once you're done editing that, you can just save it to the layer. This will make it way easier to edit images.

Now, the layer "Text". It's pretty much the same. In 4.0, there's possibly text editing, so with this feature of groups as layers, you can edit text without having to click "Undo" 750 times and then having to do everything over again.

You can also:

*"Minimize" the layer to make the images under it not show

*Right click>Delete/Press delete on your keyboard to delete the image/text from the layer

I guess that pretty much sums up the idea. Thanks for reading.

Hi there TroloParadox1234, welcome to the forum.

Both the layer grouping and text layer features have been raised before. Rick (Paint.NET Developer) has written this in the Popular Feature Requests section of this forum:

Ability to re-edit text, or "text layers", or some variation thereof -- This an enormous work item due to other plumbing that must be in place to enable it. This falls into the "yes I agree, and hopefully we'll have it someday." No solid ETA, and definitely a 4.0 or post-4.5 feature. This is getting closer to reality, so hang in there.

Layer "folders", or the ability to organize layers in a hierarchy -- I want this too, and it depends on some major plumbing work being done. This would be a 4.x feature. No ETA.