Most efficient way to center an image?

I've got lots of pages of B&W scanned images that are not quite centered. My usual method for centering them would be:

1. Open image.

2. Ctrl + Shift + N to create a new layer.

3. Select the Paint Bucket tool and fill the new layer with white.

4. Move the new layer down using the arrow button on the Layers window.

5. Select the top layer again by clicking on the Layers window.

6. Select the Move Pixels tool and drag the image until it visually looks centered.

7. Ctrl + M to merge layers down.

8. Save.

Is there any smarter, faster, fewer clicks way of accomplishing this? Is there any way of programming this so I don't have to visually center each page?

(Also, I usually have to close and reopen paint.net after about 10 pages because the program isn't freeing all memory when files are closed.)

Object Align requires the element to be on a transparent layer. Sounds like we have a B&W layer, so in order to work the background would have to be removed first.

Me? I'd look at this plugin: Composition tool

My 2 ¢,

-If you are saving in JPEG file type, then you don't need to add the white layer, just center the image and save it.

-If all scanned images have enough white edges and all need exactly the same alignment without rotation, then using Panelling plugin is the best choice ( if the quality is important), set the plugin once then press Ctrl+F for each image to repeat the same alignment effect, as Welshblue mentioned just.

Of course you can use Layer Rotate/Zoom tool with Tiling acitvated or Composition tool as EER mentioned if retaining the orginal quality of saving file is not required/important.

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Most efficient way to center an image?
  • 1 year later...

Try this: be sure your dots per inch on image and destination canvas are the same, move to your image, change color to opacity zero, change canvas size to match the size of your destination canvas, then select and copy the whole enlarged object containing your image. Move to your destination, then paste into a NEW LAYER. Done.

Appreciate you replying Tom, but this thread is nine years and many PDN revisions old. Closing.