Move Layer properties window?

Hi all,

The layer properties window, it opens smack bang on the middle of the image I'm working on. So extremely annoying to always first having to move it off the image, before I can see the effect I'm using. Especially when working with multiple layers.

Is there a way to have this window open on the SIDE of the image one is working on? Instead of on top of it, hiding it?

layerpropertieswindow.png

This way, one can never see the image one is working on. Can it please be made so that it opens on the side. Please?

Unfortunately that does not solve my problem. It very nicely puts all the tools windows in the corners, but what I'm discussing here, is the "layer properties" window. When it opens, it still opens directly on top of my image.

When I want to adjust the opacity for instance, i need to SEE what I'm doing, and that is now beneath the layer properties window.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/krakkemik/layerpropertieswindow2.png

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Replaced over sized image with a link

Tried checking the option Window | Translucent? It makes the dialog a little bit see-through. Not an earth shattering change - but I find it useful to be able to see a bit of the image through the dialogs.

By the way this is something I've been wanting to do -- not just for Layer Properties, but for the effect dialogs. It just hasn't been a high enough priority compared to other things (e.g. antialiased selections), and most likely won't be in 4.0. And in fact, for Layer Properties, I'd prefer a "modeless" dialog (which means it doesn't block you from using the other windows, or the main window), or even to inline its functionality into the Layers window itself.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'd prefer a "modeless" dialog (which means it doesn't block you from using the other windows, or the main window), or even to inline its functionality into the Layers window itself.

That would be awesome.

As long as we are in the Layer Properties subject, I have a question:

Is it possible for PDN to prompt you for layer name whenever you add a new layer?

Of course, it is a little anoying, if it doesn't have an option of "don't prompt me for layer name"

Which is kind of Preferences which not supported in PDN.

Well, I'm glad it's on your developing wish list, even if it's not the most urgent. It's just something that's been bothering me for a while, and I'm glad you've noticed too! :mrgreen: At least I can hope for a solution now.

thanks!

Is it possible for PDN to prompt you for layer name whenever you add a new layer?

I once suggested that there could be a default layer name textbox in Preferences/Options. If the box was empty PDN would follow the regular naming convention. If you put some text in the textbox, that would become the base for the new layer name (+ number of layers).

Couldn't convince Rick :(

I once suggested that there could be a default layer name textbox in Preferences/Options. If the box was empty PDN would follow the regular naming convention. If you put some text in the textbox, that would become the base for the new layer name (+ number of layers).

Couldn't convince Rick :(

Hi

Yes , I also asked for a simple duplicated layers numbering (like in Gimp) long ago, but also i wasn't able to convince Rick :(

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

To be fair to Rick he is very busy and this sort of stuff has LOW priority. Most users would never use it.....

And some use it all the time....... I'm totally in love with Paint.NET, except for that layer window opening right on top of my image... it is doubling the time I need to edit an image. So, who knows, it may become a higher priority.... *crosses fingers*

Yeah I kinda doubt that. Learn keyboard shortcuts, like F4 for opening properties. That'll let you keep the mouse in another location, closer to where the title of the window will pop up ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Actually I'd like any new dialog to open at the mouse pointer position when using another key combination of course.

• 2 months later...

Huge thumbs up for the original request. I'd be very happy for one of these:

- moving the default Layer Properties window away from the middle of the screen

- having the Layer Properties window appear in the location I last closed it

- making the Layer Properties unnecessary (for me) by adding a transparency slider to the Layers palette

I'd be so happy I'd probably donate (yet again) to PDN. :)

I actually would like to discuss this before it is locked for necroposting.

The layer properties window takes up way too much room for such a small number of options. All you have there is a layer name option, layer visibility, blend mode, and opacity. Is there a good reason for all that to open a window at all? Maybe, a "preparation for future development" reason?

~layer visibility is already a part of the layer window

~you can make layer name changeable through the layer window (ex: double click the layer or right click>rename)

~the other two could be added to the window. I made a possible arrangement below:

layerwindow.png

I suppose you could keep the layer properties window for sentimental purposes, or even as a placeholder for when (if) you add more layer property options, but either way, this (above) seems to be a more efficient solution to me.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

It's not going to be locked for necroposting - it's within tolerance. However my tolerance for the tone of Gaelyn's last post is almost at it's limit.

Re your suggestion:

Too large? Really??

I regularly put a font's name, size and formatting into a layer name. It's my way of recording how I made the text within the layer. I need/desire/like the extra width of the current layers props dialog.

It's not going to be locked for necroposting - it's within tolerance. However my tolerance for the tone of Gaelyn's last post is almost at it's limit.

Re your suggestion:

Too large? Really??

I regularly put a font's name, size and formatting into a layer name. It's my way of recording how I made the text within the layer. I need/desire/like the extra width of the current layers props dialog.

Well, like I said...I'm ok with keeping the layer properties dialogue. My issue is my screen size. Yes, it is a minor complaint, but it would be nice to have access to layer properties without covering up the picture. My screen is only 768 pixels high (wide screen), so with a big layer properties window plopped in the center, things get crowded. Even with the window to the side, though, it overlaps large portions of my picture.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

The slider represented in pdnnoob's mockup isn't long enough -- one needs the whole resolution of the 0-255 range to be available. One unit of transparency can make a significant difference, especially near the fully transparent end of the range.

This could be addressed by placing the bar below the label and the numeric control.

Another approach is to use a pop-up bar that is hidden until the user clicks on a numeric value, and at that point the bar pops up and allows the user to drag to a new value -- similar to a popup menu but with a slider instead of a list of discrete settings. I have used this kind of design before in crowded property dialogs; it affords nice drag & drop access to various value types without extensive gobbling of real estate.